Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak for the entire place but it looks like in many cities the housing is heated with a boiler system but the system cannot be turned on or off by the home owner, it's turned on/off by the city plant that manages the heating and they turn it on when it's cold and off when it's warm in theory but many residents complain it's either too hot or too cold.

I don't know if they pay for this heating but the fact they cannot control when it's on, I think maybe not. The other issue with this system is if the local plant is having an outage, the entire district or town has no heating unless the resident is wealthy enough to afford electric heating like air conditioning, which is rare in Russia. There is currently 1 million people without heating in a single Russian city due to an outage. Another million have no electricity in another and another 150k also have no heating in another due to 90 year old pipes bursting.

The Moscow times paper says approximately 70% of utility infrastructure in Russias cities are past their use by date

A mate who moved to russia told me the heating is on by default and is included in the rent. He said you can't turn it down and his flat is often like a sauna.

A few years back he said it was -35c, or something equally ridiculous, outside but it was baking hot in his flat, so he opened a window!

A mate who moved to russia told me the heating is on by default and is included in the rent. He said you can't turn it down and his flat is often like a sauna.

A few years back he said it was -35c, or something equally ridiculous, outside but it was baking hot in his flat, so he opened a window!
Crazy, in italy with the communal water heating you have a "boiler" box and inside there's valves a meter and a plate heat exchanger so your heated water doesn't mix with the cities loop but you can turn it off and on by closing the valves/turning the pump off

Crazy, in italy with the communal water heating you have a "boiler" box and inside there's valves a meter and a plate heat exchanger so your heated water doesn't mix with the cities loop but you can turn it off and on by closing the valves/turning the pump off
They also dont finish their houses in Italy because they dont want to pay the tax on completion of building the house.... couldn't believe it when I heard it from my grandad.

Stelly

Does the Russia government paid for all the heating systems in russian ? :confused:

Over here home owners/companies/hotels etc got to paid for all their own heating systems.

I would take posts like this one with a very large pinch of salt
In Poland, most city residences are heated from a centrally managed heating system. Hot water is piped to buildings in much the same way that cold water is. My wife though it very odd that houses in the UK have their own central heating when she moved here.

From the BEEB

The UK will provide £2.5bn of military aid to Ukraine over the coming year, Rishi Sunak has said - Britain's largest annual commitment since Russia's invasion.
The PM made the announcement during a rare visit to the country, where he will also sign a new agreement supporting its long-term security.
Officials said the package will provide Ukraine with long-range missiles, air defence and artillery shells.
Some £200m will be spent on drones, most of which will be UK-made.

£200m spent on UK made drones..? Interesting, didn't realise we produced them for warfare really (unless of course we don't but are about to etc).

Yea we make UAVs. I think some are under licence from the US like the "Reaper" based ones.

The UK is making a next gen jet powered one (Tyrannis) which the QE carriers are designed to take.

Last edited:
Interesting, didn't realise we produced them for warfare really (unless of course we don't but are about to etc).
The defence industry in the UK is huge, there are loads of companies producing both surveillance and armed UAV's of all different shapes and sizes. Most never go into serial production as they tend to be demonstration/trial units to try and win contracts everyone wants a pience of this pie! All the main companies have offerings as well as a lot of innovative smaller defence firms.

Last edited:
From the BEEB

The UK will provide £2.5bn of military aid to Ukraine over the coming year, Rishi Sunak has said - Britain's largest annual commitment since Russia's invasion.
The PM made the announcement during a rare visit to the country, where he will also sign a new agreement supporting its long-term security.
Officials said the package will provide Ukraine with long-range missiles, air defence and artillery shells.
Some £200m will be spent on drones, most of which will be UK-made.

£200m spent on UK made drones..? Interesting, didn't realise we produced them for warfare really (unless of course we don't but are about to etc).

Good news now just if the USA gets there finger out there bum.

May explain the egg price inflation.

Maybe Putin giving Russian forests away to China has meant they’ve run out of wooden wedges? Looking at the size of the holes in those pipes, ostrich eggs would be required. This would explain the recent Russian incursions into Africa.

In Poland, most city residences are heated from a centrally managed heating system. Hot water is piped to buildings in much the same way that cold water is. My wife though it very odd that houses in the UK have their own central heating when she moved here.

A lot of countries have centralised hot water generation in cities. It makes a lot of sense, especially if you can hook up waste heat from industrial units or waste burning, etc.

Yer my family is... I was looking up confused why there was like a third floor on a lot of building that was unfinished, he told me the reason why, my dad's side is originally from Naples... they do anything to get around tax mate :D

Stelly
Not sure that's a thing any more - or it might have been only for specific areas. I'm fairly sure my either my Nonna or someone in their villiage was paying tax on a collapsing building not that long ago, to the extent that they decided to have it pulled down.
I know we've got a few outbuildings - really stone built garden shed sized things - that I'm fairly sure we're paying tax on.
@Tefal Italian? I see a wales location. Not from around Bardi are you?

Last edited:

Prob fine if it's properly maintained, but per house systems give you significantly better redundancy for times like this, as well as individual control of your own usage and what temps you want/can afford.

UK system is probably superior here :)

Prob fine if it's properly maintained, but per house systems give you significantly better redundancy for times like this, as well as individual control of your own usage and what temps you want/can afford.

UK system is probably superior here :)
Guessing you are not in a Thames Water area then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom