Unai says goodbye, Mikel says hello

Soldato
He’s probably the best choice for a rebuild. He’s young, loves the club, and is there for the long haul. A lot of these top managers like to walk into clubs with huge budgets, that need just a little work to start competing.

Yea. He is coming in to it as an Arsenal fan, rather than just passing through as say Ancellotti would have been.

Caporegime
He’s probably the best choice for a rebuild. He’s young, loves the club, and is there for the long haul. A lot of these top managers like to walk into clubs with huge budgets, that need just a little work to start competing.
Agreed I just hope the players step up for him and start playing like proper footballers.
Of course we will probably lose a few ie Auba for instance but really this year he should be looking at the players that NEED to be offloaded ie Xhaka, Mustafi, Luiz and Ozil too. Sell them at a loss, they don’t add anything to our team...in fact they are huge detriments to the team.
But who knows maybe Arteta will get through to them and possibly make them better than the pile of crap they are now.

Caporegime
Agreed I just hope the players step up for him and start playing like proper footballers.
Of course we will probably lose a few ie Auba for instance but really this year he should be looking at the players that NEED to be offloaded ie Xhaka, Mustafi, Luiz and Ozil too. Sell them at a loss, they don’t add anything to our team...in fact they are huge detriments to the team.
But who knows maybe Arteta will get through to them and possibly make them better than the pile of crap they are now.
I’m not too worried about Auba. He’s approaching the decline point now imo.

Soldato
That Auba will move on seems fairly likely at this point, but between Leno (most saves in the league this season, sigh) and him banging them in despite feeding off scraps has kept the team from being in even deeper do-do than they are already, it would be nice to have some reassuringly consistent goalscorers in the team before that happens...

Caporegime
Well from what I have gathered from Artetas press and interview earlier today, he seems like he wants to find out exactly how the players are feeling and what he can do to alleviate their fears etc. He mentioned Ozil and said that he will be sitting down with him and discussing what he needs from him. I’m assuming the same will go for Auba, if he wants to go then let him go but if he wants to stay and asks Arteta to make some formation changes ie him and Laca starting like they have done in the past. Then let’s hope Arteta acknowledges it and does his best to accommodate it.

But it does seem like Arteta knows what he wants from the team. I just hope he can somehow turn our season around or what’s left of it and get us playing better football. I’m not expecting top4 this season, would be nice if he somehow manages to do it. But we need to find our identity on the field like we had a few yrs back.

Soldato
He'll want to go if there's no CL football next season, and there's no point keeping him for another year and letting him go on a free if the club could at least get some of what it cost to buy him back in the summer. Top 4 is unlikely, but perhaps if they get their confidence back they might do one better than last year in the EL... here's hoping anyway.

Interview with Emery, kinda feel sorry for him but it's football and he'll get another job.

Soldato
OP
He'll want to go if there's no CL football next season, and there's no point keeping him for another year and letting him go on a free if the club could at least get some of what it cost to buy him back in the summer. Top 4 is unlikely, but perhaps if they get their confidence back they might do one better than last year in the EL... here's hoping anyway.

Interview with Emery, kinda feel sorry for him but it's football and he'll get another job.

What I can never understand when players want to leave for a higher level is.. If we're not in the Champions League it's because of the players, Aubamarang is our captain, he should feel responsible for our form and commitment. Not want to leave at soon as things get tough.

Who is picking the team today? Will it be Arteta giving Freddie the orders?

Caporegime
I saw his press conference last night, he spoke well but talking the talk is only a fraction of the challenge. He should loan some City players. :p

Caporegime
What I can never understand when players want to leave for a higher level is.. If we're not in the Champions League it's because of the players, Aubamarang is our captain, he should feel responsible for our form and commitment. Not want to leave at soon as things get tough.

To be fair to Auba, he’s only been captain for a few games. He’s not captain material as far as I’m concerned, at the moment not sure who could be our captain with the players we have.
I’m guessing Arteta won’t be taking charge today and it will be Freddie. Don’t think Arteta is choosing the team or tactics if he isn’t taking charge today.

Soldato
To be fair to Auba, he’s only been captain for a few games. He’s not captain material as far as I’m concerned, at the moment not sure who could be our captain with the players we have.
I’m guessing Arteta won’t be taking charge today and it will be Freddie. Don’t think Arteta is choosing the team or tactics if he isn’t taking charge today.
No his not. he will be at the stands sitting next to anchelloti ironically who also does not take charge today either

Soldato
OP

It's the classic case of picking your best player as captain. And not the most respected hard working one.

Although I'm not much of a fan of goalkeepers being captain, Leno might be the best choice at the moment.

Looks like Arteta and Ancellotti will be watching in the stands. Surely that's a first!

Caporegime
Excellent opportunity no one can know exactly how he'll do, nor him. What I can say is that throughout his career people have spoken about him as a natural leader, as someone who took more interest that those around him in coaching, managing, tactics. He went straight into coaching and was hired by one of the best managers around because he believed him in. He spends day in day out sharing his thoughts and views on how the City team run with a great manager while learning.

I don't believe in any way that managers must rise through the ranks, manage at a lower level. You either have the tactical knowledge, ability to motivate and general things you need to be a good manager or you don't. Some big guys in the sport believe he has the knowledge to do the job, will he have the rest needed, only time will tell. I think he has every chance of being a good manager but taking over a top team with a good squad and taking over a club playing badly with no confidence and some major gaps in the squad are different things. I think he can do well given time to train and change the team.

Also kinda hoping he decides to sign himself as a player and add to our midfield... because we need it.

Soldato

I don't really think that's fair on Auba. He's the top scorer, 11 goals in the Prem - On target for 20 goals in the season, not really like he isn't doing his job, especially when you consider how terrible the rest of the football has been. He's also 30, so doesn't have years on his side to stay around and turn things around - It's not like Arsenal recent track record is exactly reliable in regards to rebuilding the squad either.

Soldato
OP
I don't really think that's fair on Auba. He's the top scorer, 11 goals in the Prem - On target for 20 goals in the season, not really like he isn't doing his job, especially when you consider how terrible the rest of the football has been. He's also 30, so doesn't have years on his side to stay around and turn things around - It's not like Arsenal recent track record is exactly reliable in regards to rebuilding the squad either.

I just find it frustrating when our best players suddenly decide they want to leave us. And even more so when it's the captain.

Caporegime
Tbf it’s going to keep happening if we don’t begin to compete for the title and CL places/trophies.

I don’t blame him if he wants to leave but I think he should give Arteta the end of the season then make up his mind if he wants to go. But if we get a nice bid for him come January then we would be silly not to take it.

Back
Top Bottom