Unai says goodbye, Mikel says hello

Soldato
Everyone’s got to start somewhere, and what better place than a mid-table club where expectations are rock bottom!

I’m actually vaguely optimistic about it tbh, he’s had the education, experienced with big players, no-nonsense, and even if you disregard Pep, Poch, Wenger etc. being nice as regards to talking him up as a potential manager, there’s all sorts of quotes over the last couple of years from City players singing his praises either in general or for improving aspects of their game (or tactical insights during matches), so he’s definitely not just been putting out the cones.

The team had 0 identity under Emery, so at least that’ll get fixed, and while the chances of losing thanks to an awful defence may not change any time soon, at least the team might be enjoyable to watch again and play something resembling attractive football.

Caporegime
The more I think about Arteta taking over, the more I’m coming round to the idea.
Honestly I’m so ambivalent towards Arsenal now that we could appoint Auba as our manager and I wouldn’t be all that bothered:p. That’s what the last 10yrs of being an Arsenal supporter does to you I guess.
But as I’ve said a few times, he can’t be any worse than Emery or Freddie. Tbf to Freddie, he was kinda thrown in at the deep end.
I can only hope that he does well at Arsenal, I’ve always liked him and thought he was a decent player. Plus he’s cut his teeth with Pep along with yrs of PL experience as a player. And as above, he is highly rated by City players and Pep.

Soldato
OP
I just want some decent defenders and some midfielders that know how to close down players. Attacking wise we are ok with Aubameyang, Lacazette and Martinelli.

If Arteta can make us hard to beat and not be such a soft touch, he will win over the fans.

Underboss
I’d never thought I’d be able to call x2 World Cup winners and a x3 Bundesliga POTY defender poor but Mustafi, Luiz and Sokratis are just that, poor.

Must have ridden the coat tails of the better defenders in those respective teams as they all need replacing imo.

Soldato
This is the first season in years I have zero motivation to go watch them play again. I mean I know it's been bad for a while but...still. The danger is that players like Auba will want to leave and go play in clubs where they can shine in Champions League and the likes. It's depressing and obviously the club does need some kind of deep rooted reset. I'll do a grumpy rant about my thoughts.

When I watched Arsenal vs City the other day, the difference between the two teams was like watching a prem team take on a non league team at times. Yes City were/are good, but come on. Watch Nicolas Pepe on the first goal. A classic "not my job" to make a tackle which allows them to jog deeper into our half and the rest is history. I've picked on one player there but the truth is that even Auba is only closing down now at about 50% effort/intensity, and he used to be a leader in that regard. All it takes is one person to not be on board with giving 100% and it's like a virus. Either everyone closes and tries, or we fail. At the moment there is no belief and like there is nothing to play for. I think sometimes the players need a good old fashioned telling off. Like literally a red faced, go mental on the side lines old shout at them. It's too late after the game... do it during and let them know it's not good enough.

Look at Ozil. The world is laughing at us. There's simply no excuse to keep a player that gives so little. It's like having a warship with a canon on the front, but a sugar glass hull. It's more damaging to play him than to have him provide the odd assist. He seems to have this thing where he refuses to take a shot and must make a final silly pass. It's pathetic. I've seen more intensity from 10 year olds I watch each week.

LaCazette... get him out. Martinelli in. Laca plays with the intelligence and patience of a 5 year old. He's offside even more than Ozil through laziness. He makes stupid fouls in stupid places. He's not even that much of a natural finisher and often shanks his shots. Get more of the youngsters in like Smith Rowe who actually try. At this point it's more about putting out a team who can put in a performance worthy of the shirt.

Xhaka out. Liability, not even talented. Rightly boo'd . Watch him shy away from shots and headers now like a scared child. Booked every game. Does not belong. Replace with Guendouzi and Torreira, but give Torreira a dosage of man the hell up and stop rolling around.

Keep Leno and spend big on defenders. I'd keep Kolasinac and Tierny. Even Bellerin seems to have lost his pace and ability now.

Soldato
If Arteta can make us hard to beat and not be such a soft touch, he will win over the fans.

I totally agree. We have to adapt. Sometime Stoke City / Burnley tactics are fine if they win games. We need more muscle and intensity.

I remember a thing the other week where people were moaning about a comment from Roy Keene on TV saying he finds it pathetic all the hugging and smiling and shaking of hands in the tunnel before the game. He said something like "your about to go to war here" and that maybe after the game is more appropriate. Whilst it is extreme to say such things and times have changed, I think we need a bit more of that mindset. You know... get angry on the pitch. Put your body on the line and win at all costs. Vierra and Keene left nothing out and went all out. We're not feared anymore.

Soldato
I'm really not sure why we're pushing so hard for someone with no experience and happy to pay out 2 mil in compensation but don't want to pay a bit more for someone who is established. Think we're on a slippery slope here and Arteta is not the man to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom