Poll: United States Grand Prix 2017, Austin - Race 17/20

Rate the 2017 USA Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
It may not have been lasting advantage but it did accelerate off the track, for me its the lack of consistency and also they need to remove some of these run offs as clearly they are too easy to abuse.

We need Eduardo Freitas in charge from the WEC at least they are mostly consistent.
They are being consistent though in only penalizing drivers that gain a lasting advantage from leaving the track.

Soldato
Yeah I know - was being tongue in cheek. Do you feel the enforcement is consistent?

In this instance of this rule they've been consistent this weekend about where track limits have been relaxed because you don't gain an advantage. Where you gain advantage leaving the track at other corners, the usual rules apply and AFAICT they were enforced for everyone during the race. If it hadn't been a few corners from the end of the race, Verstappen would have been told to give the place back or had a stop go/time added penalty.

In general across the whole year, rule enforcement has been inconsistent, and that's something I hope Liberty Global will fix, and the likes of Vettel's antics this year will not get away with just an ineffectual slap on the wrist.

Caporegime
Verstappen clearly cut the corner I'm not sure how anyone can defend that, same with Bottas earlier on he ran wide on the exit which allowed him not to have to brake and he could carry more speed. Both should be penalties.

Hamilton has said pretty much what I've been saying for years - get rid of run offs, they just encourage abuse and reward bad/wreckless driving. F1 is by its very nature a dangerous profession, if the drivers want 100% safety and zero risk get an office job which pays considerably less.

Soldato
Lol, Christian Horner said the four letter S word, "it was a **** decision.." and got told off by Steve Jones, Coulthard, Webber and Jordan for saying it on live TV :D

I'm delighted Lewis is on course to win the championship, but does anyone else cringe just a bit when Lewis shows off on the podium? He generally comes across quite humble, but it's a bit embarassing when he takes over the start of his interviews by bigging up how great the crowd is when really I don't think he cares, it's more like he's just saying 'you all think I'm awesome'. Then pouring champagne down Usain Bolt's back while he was interviewing Kimi.

Soldato
Lol, Christian Horner said the four letter S word, "it was a **** decision.." and got told off by Steve Jones, Coulthard, Webber and Jordan for saying it on live TV.

It was Webber who said it was a **** decision. The others continued to tell him off after the ad break. He said “sorry whatevs” and then said it was after the watershed so it’s ok.

When did he say this?
Unless he said that in a separate interview, in the one I saw he called one particular steward an idiot, not a retard.

He also said he hopes no one attends the US GP next year; two things EJ called him out on and said he will regret once he’s calmed down.

Soldato
All those bits of run off and tarmac were put in for safety reasons, gravel traps having a tendency to flip the car and throw stones all over the track. Plus it allows drivers to rejoin a track rather than go out and have the race yellow flagged while they retrieve the car. The only way the stewards have left to stop the drivers taking the mickey is to punish them when they break the rules.
For the bikes mainly...

Man of Honour
Max shouldn't have been penalised given the number of people who weren't. The fia doing what it does best. If the fia don't want that to happen then put gravel or a barrier there.

Man of Honour
Apparently Hamilton cut that corner pretty heavily on his pole lap. Probably gained a few tenths. FIA being consistent would be such a massive boost to the sport.

Wish they would slam hard on track limits. Those white lines are there for a reason.

Soldato
Lol, Christian Horner said the four letter S word, "it was a **** decision.." and got told off by Steve Jones, Coulthard, Webber and Jordan for saying it on live TV :D

I'm delighted Lewis is on course to win the championship, but does anyone else cringe just a bit when Lewis shows off on the podium? He generally comes across quite humble, but it's a bit embarassing when he takes over the start of his interviews by bigging up how great the crowd is when really I don't think he cares, it's more like he's just saying 'you all think I'm awesome'. Then pouring champagne down Usain Bolt's back while he was interviewing Kimi.
If you have ever been to a gp you'll know it's refreshing to even acknowledge the fans.

Soldato
Well, watching the replays I can't say that it's a wrong call but I think it's a very harsh one. Technically, they've got a point but actions like that are rarely punished.

Gaining an advantage by cutting a corner is virtually always punished, unless the offending driver hands the place back.

Horner spouting off about how it's happened all weekend but, as Flibster pointed out, that's been running wide and not cutting corners.

He also, along with some others, raised the Bottas/Verstappen incident. That was the only other case where violating track limits gave a clear advantage and the only reason nothing happened was that Max immediately got past him anyway. Had he not then Bottas would have been told to hand the place back or also received a penalty.

Much as I like Verstappen's talent and general aggressiveness, this was a clear case of overtaking by going off the track and there was no alternative but to penalise him.
Good as he is, he's still immature and arrogant and thinks he can do whatever he likes. We've already had the incidents of weaving in braking zones last year plus the incident at Mexico where he clearly gained an illegal advantage. All anyone seems to remember of that is Vettel's incandescent rage at Charlie over the radio yet he had a valid complaint.

Verstappen needs to start understanding that the rules apply to him too and he can't just drive off the track to get past someone.

Soldato
So Red Bull and Verstappen are blaming one steward in particular, Garry Connelly for the penalty.
Verstappen cut the corner by over half a meter, when there was easily sufficient space to take the corner with at least one wheel on the track.

I thought this - he could easily have been a metre to the left and kept a wheel on the white line and he'd have been fine.

Sorry Horner... You are just a shining little wit when things aren't going your way.

He's always been that way, whether it's stewards decisions or FIA regulations or just general moaning about Mercedes dominance, conveniently forgetting 2010-13. He's an abhorrent little ****.

Soldato
Apparently Hamilton cut that corner pretty heavily on his pole lap. Probably gained a few tenths. FIA being consistent would be such a massive boost to the sport.

Were all four wheels off the track by half a meter?

Wish they would slam hard on track limits. Those white lines are there for a reason.

Definitely, but they made it pretty clear what was and wasn't allowed this weekend.

Soldato
I would like the exceeding track limits rule more black and white.

If a driver is all 4 wheels off the track (on designated corners if needs be) then straight up penalty regardless or put a barrier in place. Don't let multiple people exceed and pick and choose the penalties.

Back
Top Bottom