• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Caporegime
OP
[WU-TANG]GZA;18084456 said:
You made your choice so just enjoy your new card? Nice attitude? ROFL

I was trying to make you feel better. Anyway can we not pollute this thread with 6970 justification posts please. Or you'll break your card post's.

Overclocking is done at your own risk. Flashing cards is not a new phenomena either.

Caporegime
OP
What do you think I should do?. Get the 6950 with i3 dual, or keep the 5850 when it arrives and still get the i5 quad?. I'll be overclocking both CPU's to their full potential. Arrrggghh choices. (congrats on the flash btw Easy, I blame you for this change of mind :D)

435559694_o.jpg

5850 930 core, 1250 memory @1.25volts. 1920x1080 resolution. £150

Stock Flashed "6970" £213
6970stockheaven-1.jpg

Caporegime
OP
:eek: Arrrgggghhh *fizzle *pop*. <-(my brain)

Thank you for the reply Easy. Wow!. Impressive!.

So how do you think the i3 @ 4Ghz would compare to your i7 @ 4Ghz?. I mean, how much of an effect would I see in the average gaming title?. Roughly.

I would rather have an i3 and a "6970" than a 760 and a 5850

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
^Andy^ has a link to the working ATI flash I think.

Do what I did

For the people who need to unlockrom and fail at command line:

- Unpack the Winflash download onto your desktop in a folder called "winflash"
- Save the 6970 BIOS in your Winflash folder and name it unlock.bin
- Click Start Button
- Type "cmd"
- Right click the entry and select "Run as Administrator"
- Black command prompt windows opens
- Type "cd %USERPROFILE%\desktop\winflash"
- Type "atiwinflash -unlockrom 0" <-- the 0 means first adapter, if you have multiple cards, physically uninstall all but the one you want to flash
- Type "atiwinflash -f -p 0 unlock.bin"
- It should complete the flashing process with a message saying something with "verified".

Caporegime
OP
Around 90C on both GPUs at full load, fans running at 45%-50%, which is too much for my liking and noticeably louder than the 6950 xfire setup.

Now that I know this works I'm considering going back to the 6950 BIOS and keeping an eye open for a few weeks to see if numerous reports of flashed 6950s dying start surfacing. Not exactly in the spirit of overclocking, I know; but I'm not mad on the prospect of binning 450 quid's worth of gear. :)

What's your case cooling like?

Back
Top Bottom