**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
Tyres for the M340i will need replacing soon(ish), it came with PZeros on, what would be the best to fit instead? These are runflat and haven't been terrible is it worth staying with runflats or just buy a can of tyre weld if there are any unfortunate incidents?

Cheers!

Caporegime
Personally I hate RFs and the sooner I get them off my BMW, the better. Both flats I had in the first three weeks needed a recovery from BMW assistance so having a RF never save me anything.

Man of Honour
Tyres for the M340i will need replacing soon(ish), it came with PZeros on, what would be the best to fit instead? These are runflat and haven't been terrible is it worth staying with runflats or just buy a can of tyre weld if there are any unfortunate incidents?

Cheers!
Michelin PS4S.

Soldato
I'm in a bit of a predicament at the moment. My PSS on my '17 M240i are due for replacement. Natural choice would be PS4S, but I'm also thinking of going to for the standard PS4. I don't track the car or drive like a lunatic. Standard PS4 will be better in the wet and cold than the PS4S, which we get a lot of. Probably longer wearing, too.

Thoughts?

Soldato
I'm in a bit of a predicament at the moment. My PSS on my '17 M240i are due for replacement. Natural choice would be PS4S, but I'm also thinking of going to for the standard PS4. I don't track the car or drive like a lunatic. Standard PS4 will be better in the wet and cold than the PS4S, which we get a lot of. Probably longer wearing, too.

Thoughts?

If you're looking at PS4 how about PS5? What size tyres do you need?

Soldato
I guess PS5 would be the more obvious choice over the PS4. PS5 is probably much closer to the performance of the PS4S also.

Front: 225/40/18
Rear: 245/35/18

The 225/40/18 PS4 are on blackcircles for £88.59 whereas the PS5 are £103.09. On camskill the PS4 are £91.75 and PS5 are £89.80.
The 245/35/18 PS4 are not showing on blackcircles, the PS5 are £157.70. On camskill the PS4 are £152.10, the PS5 are £136.80

Soldato
The 225/40/18 PS4 are on blackcircles for £88.59 whereas the PS5 are £103.09. On camskill the PS4 are £91.75 and PS5 are £89.80.
The 245/35/18 PS4 are not showing on blackcircles, the PS5 are £157.70. On camskill the PS4 are £152.10, the PS5 are £136.80
Cost isn't really the concern, it's more about whether I'd be making the right choice not going with the PS4S and instead going with a tyre that is a "performance level down".

Man of Honour

Thoughts?

PS4S sits above PS4 in the range and there is not really that many sizes where both are available - generally, if PS4 is an available choice in a BMW then its unlikely PS4S will be.

It looks like the M240i is no exception as it seems the rear size is not available as a PS4S - at least, not according to the Michelin website.

Soldato
Got a puncture in spain with the M5 with only a few hours to sort before the ferry which was still a 3 hour drive so in desperation spent 700 EUro's on some P Zero runflats as they didn't have any Mps4s in stock.
Now I'm back home. Do I swap out for some Mps4s's or keep the P zero's. Theyve only done 500 miles so could get a fair whack back on the bay

Soldato
Seems the Michelin PS4s seem to be the recommended tyres here.......just couldn't quite stomach the £190 a corner I'd need to spend (225/35/19).
Decided to got for a couple of Goodyear AS6's instead at around £144 each. On each of my previous cars I seem to gravitate towards Goodyear - Eventually having AS3's and more recently AS4's on my last car.
Am replacing two of the P Zero's that came from the factory - which have worn well (38k miles and I'm now replacing a couple) - but I don't know, just never felt quite as safe as I have in the past when taking corners that little bit "hot".

Associate
How many miles on average are tyres lasting for people and with what tyres (also what sort of life have they had, bimbling around, or spirited driving)? currently on PZero coming up to 14k and thought they looked like they are starting to get low (will check the tread depth when I get the car back Wednesday) just wondered what others peoples experiences had been.

Man of Honour
How many miles on average are tyres lasting for people and with what tyres (also what sort of life have they had, bimbling around, or spirited driving)? currently on PZero coming up to 14k and thought they looked like they are starting to get low (will check the tread depth when I get the car back Wednesday) just wondered what others peoples experiences had been.

This is entirely car dependant, so without knowing what car it is (and whether they are on the driven wheels or not) it's impossible to tell you whether 14k is good or bad.

I got 18k out of a set of PZero on the back of my 5 Series (No idea about the fronts as I got rid of them when the rears wore out so I could get 4 good tyres).

Associate
This is entirely car dependant, so without knowing what car it is (and whether they are on the driven wheels or not) it's impossible to tell you whether 14k is good or bad.

I got 18k out of a set of PZero on the back of my 5 Series (No idea about the fronts as I got rid of them when the rears wore out so I could get 4 good tyres).
M340i, driven enthusiastically when the conditions permit.

Soldato
My Octy vRS came with PZero's all around - I picked it up with 9k miles on the clock. I'm now at just shy of 39k and am only now replacing two of them. I mean, 90% of the time it's regular driving. On those fast country roads I enjoy cornering quickly, puling away from corners as the weather and conditions suit etc.
In the past (on previous Octy's) I've had Continental SC3's last me to 40k, and Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's last me 10k (they were a big mistake).

V_R

V_R

Soldato
:mad: Seems the Michelin PS4s seem to be the recommended tyres here.......just couldn't quite stomach the £190 a corner I'd need to spend (225/35/19).
Decided to got for a couple of Goodyear AS6's instead at around £144 each. On each of my previous cars I seem to gravitate towards Goodyear - Eventually having AS3's and more recently AS4's on my last car.
Am replacing two of the P Zero's that came from the factory - which have worn well (38k miles and I'm now replacing a couple) - but I don't know, just never felt quite as safe as I have in the past when taking corners that little bit "hot".
Thats my size... How much? They were £150 each last time I looked.

Soldato
Thats my size... How much? They were £150 each last time I looked.
tyre-shopper.co.uk had them for £149.99 on Friday and they currently have a 5% off any 2 - so took them down to £142 each.
I see they are now selling them at £151.99 - so £144 each.
That's fitted at home prices.

Reactions: V_R
Man of Honour
Seems the Michelin PS4s seem to be the recommended tyres here.......just couldn't quite stomach the £190 a corner I'd need to spend (225/35/19).

Pilot Sport 4 is not available in this size, only the ultra high performance Pilot Sport 4S is available. But that said, the first place I looked had those for £165 each.

Back
Top Bottom