**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Just seeking some advice - I'm probably in the wrong, not seeing things from the correct point of view - so before embarrassing myself further, I'll seek the wisdom of many.

At last got my tyres ordered - found them at ETyres for £20 more than I'd seen them before, however with £20 of Amazon vouchers - so happy enough.
I purchased two tyres, only my fronts needed replacing. However, as with the manufacturers advice from every major player - my intention was as always, turn up for the fitting, explain the two new tyres were replacing the ones at the front and then they should be swapped with the ones on the rear.
So I end up with 2x Brand New Goodyear AS6's on the back and 2x Half their life gone Pirelli P Zero's at the front.

I rock up and I'm told that the garage are only contracted to fit the two new tyres I have purchased and that any swapping of wheels is subject to additional cost. I tell them no, there must be some mistake, I've paid Etyres for a "fully fitted" service, which in my mind includes the safe fitting of my new tyres (so includes a swap around of wheel position). Garage hang firm. No, we are not swapping any tyres around unless you pay us accordingly.
It's late, I want the tyres done, I pay my £25+vat - I drive away.

I contact Etyres this morning and explain that my "fully fitted" service was anything but. Here is a copy of my invoice for £30, how would they like to refund me?
I am told that the garage are their own business, they have every right to charge for additional work, they will feedback the lack of anything indicating this on their website, they will not be refunding me, have a good day.

I've never seen this before in my life. I've been driving for.....mumble.....29yrs and OK, the wisdom & advice for new tyres going at the rear has only really been prevalent for the past, what...10yrs? But I've never had a garage, had I purchased directly from them or was just using them for fitting for an online retailer, expect me to pay additional to have wheels swapped.

Moving wheels around isn't included - just taking the tyres off the old rim and putting the new ones on, balancing and refitting.

That said, any garage worth anything will normally do this FOC. £30 to put the rear wheels on the front whilst the car is already jacked up and the front wheels are already off is literally daylight robbery. This would have taken an extra 2-3 minutes *at most* to do.

Permabanned
They make next to nothing on the tyres so it’s there way of making some money. At the end of the day it cost them in labour to do additional work, it costs you nothing to do it yourself.

Soldato
Just got some pilot sport 4's replaced on the rear(225/40/r18). They only lasted a year but I got 28k out of them.

Replaced them with exactly the same £108 a side, I dont know if 28k is decent but seems ok as they did 4 months on the front and 8 months on the back. Front were replaced with cross climate 2's and they have been awesome.

Man of Honour
4 x New Michelin Pilot Sport 4S’s fitted to the 530D this morning and all the better for it too. I would go as far to say that it’s improved the ride more than it did on the F10 when I did the same but need more miles to confirm.

First big pot hole will see if my money was wasted or not. Good service from Black Circle and Halfords at home. All done on my drive within an hour and balanced well.

Man of Honour
A recent BMW health check flagged up this on one of the rear tyres. Looks like something has gouged the tyre a bit... they said it would be an MOT failure, any thoughts?

faaMnjT.jpg

Soldato
New tyre time for the 911. Any thoughts on MPS4S versus MPS5? The PS4S seems to be increasingly difficult to get hold of in the correct size with corresponding price increases. I guess there’ll be a MPS5S along at some point but need to get the best now really.

Man of Honour
A recent BMW health check flagged up this on one of the rear tyres. Looks like something has gouged the tyre a bit... they said it would be an MOT failure, any thoughts?

Have you had the tyre since new? possibly a previous repair which is now degrading? though with the marks around it probably all from going over the same object.

Soldato

faaMnjT.jpg

Strange one, it even possibly looks like a previous tyre repair, unless you've had the tyres from new? If so, it would likely be an MOT failure for "ply or cords exposed". Even though you can't see the cords as it stands right now, they are allowed to use a blunt tool to pry into the hole to see if it goes down the cords or not. With that being in the trough of the tyre grooves, it likely down go down to the cords. As mentioned, the easiest thing to do is pay a tyre company to do a puncture repair on it for £20.

Man of Honour
Strange one, it even possibly looks like a previous tyre repair, unless you've had the tyres from new? If so, it would likely be an MOT failure for "ply or cords exposed". Even though you can't see the cords as it stands right now, they are allowed to use a blunt tool to pry into the hole to see if it goes down the cords or not. With that being in the trough of the tyre grooves, it likely down go down to the cords. As mentioned, the easiest thing to do is pay a tyre company to do a puncture repair on it for £20.

I'm going to stop by my local tyre place and ask their view on it. The tyres were on the car when I bought it so no idea if it's been repaired before.

Soldato
UV exposure and age!
Yeah I'd agree. I noticed something similar on my Dad's SUV which has a wide gap between arch and tyre. When in the sun, the wheel arch puts the top of the tyre into the shadow of the arch, and the tyre wall is in the sun. The cracking (albeit slight on my Dad's motor) is on that line between the shade and full sun and obviously you can't put tyre dressing that high up onto the start of the tread block.

Soldato
I had a new pair of CrossClimate+ fitted as ATS had a free fitting offer on taking them down to a very reasonable price.

Got 35k from the old ones (rotated every 6 months approx). Will get new rears for Xmas ready for any snow, but that’s very good mileage I think for a tyre which has given good traction throughout its life.

Find them excellent in all weathers and cornering/feel to be good in the wet and confidence inspiring. This is comparing like for like with the factory fitted tyre options (185-55-15) on the fiat 500. Goodyear, Bridgestone and Continental. Goodyear didn’t have long enough to comment properly but they felt good, Bridgestone weren’t amazing felt more mid range in all aspects, Continental wore out a lot faster (20k) and the wet cornering grip was terrible.

Back
Top Bottom