**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Where's the go to place for tyres these days? Not used an online service before but will do this time.

I need 245/35/R19 Y93

Currently have Bridgestones of some sort. Happy to go down to something a bit cheaper.

Are Hankook or Yokohama any good in comparison? Not really clued up on tyres tbh!

Also mobile fitting, I assume that's a good option?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Need winter tyres for the Q7, 255/55 R19.

The AO is ContiWinterContact TS 850P XL SUV
However, the ContiWinterContact TS 870P is the latest one, but isn't AO or SUV, but obviously a better tyre so have ordered a set.

I see that the Michelin Alpin 5 is the Cayenne/Macan N0 tyre, but also not SUV. What does the SUV actually signify? The 870P is listed on the Conti website as designed for SUVs anyway..

Soldato
Where's the go to place for tyres these days? Not used an online service before but will do this time.

I need 245/35/R19 Y93

Currently have Bridgestones of some sort. Happy to go down to something a bit cheaper.

Are Hankook or Yokohama any good in comparison? Not really clued up on tyres tbh!

Black circles and Asda Tyres are my first choice.

Man of Honour
Black Circles has been OK for me though their communications could be better - a few times there has been confusion between them and the fitter over stock availability and the likes for instance where BC advised the appointment would be moved to a later date as the tyres were out of stock, while the fitter phoned me a couple of hours later to double check I was still on for the original appointment and said they had the tyres fine and weren't aware of any delay. So far though always got the job done.

Caporegime

I need 245/35/R19 Y93

Black circles and Asda Tyres are my first choice.
I’ve used Oponeo the past few times without issue. Prices are in the ballpark too.

Soldato
Need winter tyres for the Q7, 255/55 R19.

The AO is ContiWinterContact TS 850P XL SUV
However, the ContiWinterContact TS 870P is the latest one, but isn't AO or SUV, but obviously a better tyre so have ordered a set.

I see that the Michelin Alpin 5 is the Cayenne/Macan N0 tyre, but also not SUV. What does the SUV actually signify? The 870P is listed on the Conti website as designed for SUVs anyway..
I've never seen any major benefit on any of my Audi's of having AO tyres - if anything you're often stuck on older tread designs! Just ditch them and put the standard version on. Imagine AO version of the same tyre is more expensive as well.

Same as BMW Star Mark...it's all marketing guff.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I've never seen any major benefit on any of my Audi's of having AO tyres - if anything you're often stuck on older tread designs! Just ditch them and put the standard version on. Imagine AO version of the same tyre is more expensive as well.

I'd never pay extra for AO, especially as they're often older designs, but I know there are some "benefits".
My question is the SUV rating. What's that about?

Man of Honour

Extra weight and body roll/lateral movement they have to deal with (higher centre of gravity, etc. put a different stress on the tyres).

EDIT: I wonder if it is why a lot of tyres these days seem to start getting cracks, etc. between the treads after a much shorter time, that you'd normally only see with age and UV exposure, as so many vehicles are heavier and/or more towards SUV designed, even when not SUVs, these days while the base for many tyre designs are contemporary with more traditional cars.

Man of Honour
If you have a current 5 Series, running 20" wheels on Bridgestone run flat tyres bin them now. Seriously, take them off and replace them with non run flats (my choice MPS4S) and you will have a much MUCH nicer driving car. I remember taking them off my F10 back in the day and they improved the ride somewhat, but not to the extent I have experienced with the current model.

ALL the HUGE bangs that came with certain ruts and road imperfections have gone, all of them. They impacted my 5 Series badly, they also impacted my old Mercedes E Class too but now, with the non run flat tyres bumps and undulations that previously sent the car into BANG mode have become a totally different experience. The car is honestly transformed, not night and day but far far better.

Anyone wants 3 run flat Bridgestones (the 4th binned) can have em. They are both **** and ruin the ride of the car HUGELY. I appreciate this is not a great selling statement :D

• Haha
Reactions: mjt
Man of Honour
Low profile run flat tyres on big wheels do not do a good job on UK roads. Fine on smooth German roads, no question, but I began to fear coming across pot holes and the one that did my tyre for the 3rd time I did not see, it wasn't obvious and was a HUGE bang. Currently fighting the good fight to get my money back from either Bridgestone or BMW. No idea if I will but I am enjoying the conversations and testing out how they deal with it....

Soldato
Low profile run flat tyres on big wheels do not do a good job on UK roads. Fine on smooth German roads, no question, but I began to fear coming across pot holes and the one that did my tyre for the 3rd time I did not see, it wasn't obvious and was a HUGE bang. Currently fighting the good fight to get my money back from either Bridgestone or BMW. No idea if I will but I am enjoying the conversations and testing out how they deal with it....

I've thrown away almost brand new 19" run-flats before due to pot hole tyre bulges (thankfully no blow outs). Tried to claim one from Goodyear (had only been on 3 weeks from brand new) but they were having none of it - apparently it's not their fault I hit a pothole which caused the tyre to be damaged :rolleyes: Trying to claim off the council for the pothole wasn't even worth wasting the time to type out the email so I just forked out. My other half's Mini JCW Clubman with 19" RFs also had the same problem - again Bridgestone weren't remotely interested.

That said, I have a set of Winter wheels and tyres with 18" run-flats on and they are noticeably better in comfort and pothole resistance - seems if you can drive around on 15" run-flats they'd be great :D

Man of Honour
I've thrown away almost brand new 19" run-flats before due to pot hole tyre bulges (thankfully no blow outs). Tried to claim one from Goodyear (had only been on 3 weeks from brand new) but they were having none of it - apparently it's not their fault I hit a pothole which caused the tyre to be damaged :rolleyes: Trying to claim off the council for the pothole wasn't even worth wasting the time to type out the email so I just forked out. My other half's Mini JCW Clubman with 19" RFs also had the same problem - again Bridgestone weren't remotely interested.

That said, I have a set of Winter wheels and tyres with 18" run-flats on and they are noticeably better in comfort and pothole resistance - seems if you can drive around on 15" run-flats they'd be great :D
£750 in 4 months JUST to replace popped tyres so spent a further £1100 to replace all 4 with proper rubber. Need to get an emergency air thingy I guess now just in case.

Man of Honour
I went for this one (although from Amazon as it was cheaper): https://www.airman-uk.com/product/450ml-universal-tyre-sealant/

Never found the sealant works - unfortunately had a puncture on Friday and just called the RAC out to plug it, after trying to help a colleague with sealant recently which just dribbled everywhere uselessly I didn't even bother with it. Annoyingly didn't have a jack with me in both cases or I'd have plugged it myself as I had the kit and everything else in the vehicle - meant to put a jack in after the first one but it skipped my mind. I think I'm just gonna add a spare tyre to any vehicle in future which doesn't come with one.

Fortunately been quite a long time between tyre damage/punctures.

Soldato
Michelin are running a £60 cashback offer at the moment on 4 tyres. I just put my claim in, purchased via Camskill.
Not sure Blackcircles are in the deal but that could make things a tad more digestible!

------------

Second Q - has anyone got a recommendation for a tyre inflator? Mains powered is probably sufficient. My Pug is whining that the tyre pressure system has a fault but CBA keep going to a petrol station.

Suspended
I'd never pay extra for AO, especially as they're often older designs, but I know there are some "benefits".

Its just a cheat to allow a design tyres rather than having the ensure all tyres have legal tyre coverage.
You end up with a much neater wheel arch cut around the tyres and better wheel face/ tyre / body relationship on the cars rather than having to protect for a random balloon like tyre (from the ETRTO database) the car is never fitted with - hence the design spec tyres with OEM stampings as mentioned above.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Its just a cheat to allow a design tyres rather than having the ensure all tyres have legal tyre coverage.
You end up with a much neater wheel arch cut around the tyres and better wheel face/ tyre / body relationship on the cars rather than having to protect for a random balloon like tyre (from the ETRTO database) the car is never fitted with - hence the design spec tyres with OEM stampings as mentioned above.
Also a way for dealers to fleece you if you happen to buy tyres from them as well :D

Back
Top Bottom