**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Would like some general thoughts on my tyre wear over the last 2 years. I had two new front tyres fitted August 2020, 2 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 to match the rears.

I've just had my MOT this morning and got an advisory that tyres are close to legal limit. I've done less than 8000 miles in the two years.

The car is a Mazda 3 MPS so all power through the front wheels and quite a bit of torque (for size of the car), i'm just shocked they have worn so fast, I don't drive as quick as I used to over last few years as son is normally in the car with me and only drive like an idiot when i'm alone :D Which is almost never these days.

Does this seem normal?

Soldato
Are they actually close to the legal limit, have you checked yourself?
I shall when I get home, wife picked it up from the garage for me and let me know. I had thought they were possibly a little low when I washed it a few weeks back but knew the MOT was coming up so knew it would/should get picked up there.

Soldato
My girlfriend has a R56 2013 Mini One D with the standard 175/65/15 tyre size on it. I managed to get her to change from having 4 different Chinese brand tyres on it to a complete set of Bridgestone Turanza T005 some time ago. With an alignment the car drives much, much better.

She has just started a new job that comes with a 45 minute cross country commute on minor roads. Despite being in the south of England, to give her confidence in potentially bad winter weather on untreated roads do you reckon its worth getting another set of wheels with winter tyres?

Underboss
My girlfriend has a R56 2013 Mini One D with the standard 175/65/15 tyre size on it. I managed to get her to change from having 4 different Chinese brand tyres on it to a complete set of Bridgestone Turanza T005 some time ago. With an alignment the car drives much, much better.

She has just started a new job that comes with a 45 minute cross country commute on minor roads. Despite being in the south of England, to give her confidence in potentially bad winter weather on untreated roads do you reckon its worth getting another set of wheels with winter tyres?

change the tyres she has to Cross Climate 2's
one set of wheels then
im in the sticks and that's what i use

Last edited:
Man of Honour

One of those frustrating ones - I'm in the south - Somerset/Dorset area and do a fair bit of cross country driving any time of day or night, any weather, and that like 1-2 days every 2-3 years when you need something other than a decent set of touring tyres there is no substitute for having good all-seasons/winter tyres but it happens so rarely.

The t005s struggled a bit in light snow in 2WD but were OK in 4WD mode - in wet and on light levels of ice they handled quite well - never got to try them on proper snow or ice.

Man of Honour

I have been doing this for almost 10 years now - the nice thing about the Mini is that the tyres are very cheap as are second sets of wheels.

For her first Mini, a 2012 Cooper, I bought a set of standard 15 inch wheels, fitted 4 Goodyear Ultragrip winter tyres on it and put them on the car every winter. When we sold the car I sold the wheels for basically what we paid for them, so the only expense was the actual tyres which were about £45 each. But it also meant the summer tyres on the 17 inch wheels the car came with lasted the entire time we had the car as we put half the wear on them, so I think overall it cost absolutely nothing extra to have this set up.

Did the same thing again with the new Mini when that arrived in early 2018 - it's still on the original factory summer tyres as a result of running on the winter tyres over winter. So again I think when I look back I'd imagine the overall cost was very low.

I don't think they've ever really been needed though - it rarely ever snows anyway - but at least it wasn't a waste of time *and* money, just time :D

Soldato
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the Merc tyres - PS5's - is there anywhere I should look other than black circles?

They are 720 for 4, fitted.

Soldato
Sometimes you can get them cheaper from camskill etc. but with Michelin owning blackcircles, often they do the % discount for 2/4 tyres. Think they have a 15% discount showing for michelin tyres currently.

FLASH15

Soldato
Sometimes you can get them cheaper from camskill etc. but with Michelin owning blackcircles, often they do the % discount for 2/4 tyres. Think they have a 15% discount showing for michelin tyres currently.

FLASH15
Yeah to be fair £720 is like £180 a corner so can't imagine I can get much cheaper fitted. I am using FLASH15, it did disappear for a little while but it is back now.

Soldato
I have a set of winter wheels and the winter tyres were fantastic in 2-3" of snow.

Since then they have not been put on for over three years as we never had snow or hazardous conditions.

Really hoping for some snow this year.

Don
I have a set of winter wheels and the winter tyres were fantastic in 2-3" of snow.

Since then they have not been put on for over three years as we never had snow or hazardous conditions.

Really hoping for some snow this year.
Worth checking that they are actually still any good if they haven't been used for 3 years - rubber can age and perish regardless of use

Soldato
You might have seen in the show us your motors thread that I looked at a 300zx. It has tyres from 2003(!) and they are 215/60/R15 94V. I've checked to see if replacements are available and it's not a common size at all with really one option on black circles that isn't 300 a corner.

So I was wondering about going up to 16" or even 17, 225 wider wheels with a bit less sidewall, whilst trying to not change the overall "rolling diameter" that would affect the gearing of the car if you know what I mean? This was something I was tempted to do anyway.

Stock 215/60/R15 has an overall diameter of 639mm; 225/50/R16 has a diameter of 631mm (this seems to have good availability); 225/45/R17 has a total diameter of 634mm (also seems to have good availability).

Am I just talking nonsense here? Is there a specific check I need to do to see whether the wheel arches could accommodate the additional width other than just eyeballing it?

Back
Top Bottom