**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Don
So I was wondering about going up to 16" or even 17, 225 wider wheels with a bit less sidewall, whilst trying to not change the overall "rolling diameter" that would affect the gearing of the car if you know what I mean? This was something I was tempted to do anyway.

Can you not look at what "optional" wheel sizes were available, likely there would have been an official 16" option that fits

Last edited:
Caporegime
You might have seen in the show us your motors thread that I looked at a 300zx. It has tyres from 2003(!) and they are 215/60/R15 94V. I've checked to see if replacements are available and it's not a common size at all with really one option on black circles that isn't 300 a corner.

So I was wondering about going up to 16" or even 17, 225 wider wheels with a bit less sidewall, whilst trying to not change the overall "rolling diameter" that would affect the gearing of the car if you know what I mean? This was something I was tempted to do anyway.

Stock 215/60/R15 has an overall diameter of 639mm; 225/50/R16 has a diameter of 631mm (this seems to have good availability); 225/45/R17 has a total diameter of 634mm (also seems to have good availability).

Am I just talking nonsense here? Is there a specific check I need to do to see whether the wheel arches could accommodate the additional width other than just eyeballing it?
You might end up with rubbing on full lock with wider tyres. Could cause damage to the side edges. In terms of gearing as long as the total rolling diameter of the wheel+tyre is unchanged then the speedo should still be correct.

Soldato
Checked the tyre prices for 215/40/18 and due to it being a “Niche” size they are far more expensive and limited in choice than 225/40/18.

When the time comes I’ll probably stick with OEM Spec.

Have read a few posts that these alloys are 7.5J same as Golf GTD/GTI Brescia’s which run 225/40/18’s.

Last edited:
Associate
I've recently put Uniroyal Rainsport 5s on my MG and absolutely loving them, feels like a new car. So much better than the crappy Toyo T1-R I had before.

4x 205/50/R16, £80 cost + £10 fitting per corner.

Soldato
I've recently put Uniroyal Rainsport 5s on my MG and absolutely loving them, feels like a new car. So much better than the crappy Toyo T1-R I had before.

4x 205/50/R16, £80 cost + £10 fitting per corner.

Good to hear this feedback as I recently watched Tyre Reviews video on them.

(Rough prices from memory - 215/40/18)
PS4’s are £140
Bridgestone Turanza £148 OEM Tyre Choice
Goodyear’s only offer AS3 and not 5

So will be ordering Rainsport 5’s at £89 each I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just ordered a set of PS5 for my Mini JCW. It's currently running AR1 which I love but definitely not a tyre to run over Winter! The PS5 were only £108 each inc fitting (215/45/17). Definitely a good improvement when the weather turns colder/wetter as the AR1 won't get anywhere near the temperature they need on the road.

Soldato
Good to hear this feedback as I recently watched Tyre Reviews video on them.

(Rough prices from memory - 215/40/18)
PS4’s are £140
Bridgestone Turanza £148 OEM Tyre Choice
Goodyear’s only offer AS3 and not 5

So will be ordering Rainsport 5’s at £89 each I think.

Had rainsport 3's on my 18" wheels and they were great for me -I don't think I would ever lose it on dry roads so wet weather tyres are my choice.
I have now binned 18" and replaced them with 16" and put 215/55/16 - 5's on - I don't know if it's me or the tyre size change but car doesn't seem so grippy.
They are fine but it's just that feel I get.

Caporegime
Had rainsport 3's on my 18" wheels and they were great for me -I don't think I would ever lose it on dry roads so wet weather tyres are my choice.
I have now binned 18" and replaced them with 16" and put 215/55/16 - 5's on - I don't know if it's me or the tyre size change but car doesn't seem so grippy.
They are fine but it's just that feel I get.
Bigger sidewall so more flex in the tyre most likely the cause for losing that connected feeling. Might be worth putting the pressures up a little, but not too much, you don’t want the tyre to ‘crown’ and reduce your contact patch. A couple of PSI over the usual.

Man of Honour
That has been my experience - obviously depends a bit on the vehicle and stock setup but 18" is generally the sweet spot, 16/17 can be a good option if you do a lot of poor roads/tracks and/or all terrain tyres but you will lose some of the feeling of connection to the road.

Do wish I'd dropped down to 17" for my all terrain set though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've never seen any major benefit on any of my Audi's of having AO tyres - if anything you're often stuck on older tread designs! Just ditch them and put the standard version on. Imagine AO version of the same tyre is more expensive as well.

Same as BMW Star Mark...it's all marketing guff.

Not true. There is a very noticeable difference between BMW * marked tyres and the none marked tyres. I dont know about other manufacturers though but BMW make massive changes

Man of Honour
The OEM tyre situation is really poor I think - it's really not clear what the differences are, but as that video shows they are sometimes so significant the tyre should probably have a different name.

It isn't unreasonable to expect a Pilot Sport 4S to be a Pilot Sport 4S and offer fairly consistent performance.

Soldato
ChrisD and you already pointed this out in the thread Greebo - Happy to admit I was wrong though:)

Agree 100% with Fox though...two Pilot Sport 4S tyres on the shelf - one at 150, the other at 160 - if you believe what I originally did (which I'm sure others do) which would you choose....Why not call it a Pilot Sport BMW (terrible name but you get the idea).

Last edited:
Caporegime
ChrisD and you already pointed this out in the thread Greebo - Happy to admit I was wrong though:)

Agree 100% with Fox though...two Pilot Sport 4S tyres on the shelf - one at 150, the other at 160 - if you believe what I originally did (which I'm sure others do) which would you choose....Why not call it a Pilot Sport BMW (terrible name but you get the idea).

Yeah it is a minefield. Would be interesting to know if there are similar difference on Merc/Porsche OEM tyres as well or whether they are no more than an "approved" badge

Man of Honour
Not true. There is a very noticeable difference between BMW * marked tyres and the none marked tyres. I dont know about other manufacturers though but BMW make massive changes

Well today I learned. Thought it was just a marketing thing.

I have about 1000 miles left on my lowest tyre, so will need to start thinking about my options soon.

Will need all 4 tyres plus alignment :(

Back
Top Bottom