**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Pressures correct?

But as above could just a few miles putting on them to remove any release agent and heat cycle them a bit
Could be, I’ll check them tomorrow morning. I’ve done at least 200 miles since getting the tyres, would have thought they would be enough?

Probably is pressure. But the in car display shows the PSI is correct, I didn’t reset in the idrive though.

Caporegime
Was going to buy some winter or all season tyres for my x5 but due to the stupid size of the rims, they were going to cost close to £1800 for the set and then these cropped up locally. 4 x OE 20" 748M alloys with Bridgestone Blizzak winter tyres with 7 to 8mm tread complete with TPMS valves for £1800 allin. Will make buying new tyres next time even cheaper and can then sell n when I dont have the car anymore.

Soldato
Just ordered more all seasons! Changed the fronts in August now changing the rears to match. Didn’t need doing but would by spring so doesn’t make sense to leave them on over winter. Michelin CrossClimate+ again as they have been excellent at everything (wet grip, snow traction and lifespan). They don’t make the CC2 in the size I need.

Mobile fitting this time for convenience (I hope). I’d been procrastinating and in hindsight should have changed them all at once as they’ve gone up at least a tenner each. I’d hoped ATS would have swapped the others front to rear for me in summer, but they wanted £15 to do so! I could have done it myself but didn’t have the time/motivation.

Caporegime
Just ordered more all seasons! Changed the fronts in August now changing the rears to match. Didn’t need doing but would by spring so doesn’t make sense to leave them on over winter. Michelin CrossClimate+ again as they have been excellent at everything (wet grip, snow traction and lifespan). They don’t make the CC2 in the size I need.

Mobile fitting this time for convenience (I hope). I’d been procrastinating and in hindsight should have changed them all at once as they’ve gone up at least a tenner each. I’d hoped ATS would have swapped the others front to rear for me in summer, but they wanted £15 to do so! I could have done it myself but didn’t have the time/motivation.
Now I have got sensible rims i will be able to fit CC2 in future.

Man of Honour
Think I’ve found one local shop that’ll do CSC7s. I’d have a mobile fitter, but my car badly needs alignment. Was surprised how affordable the CSC7s are vs some of their competitors.

Anyone use etyres? They then seem to use one of our local garages.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tyres fitted fine.. overall experience meh. This was Kwik Fit mobile.

Didn’t call when en route (as the three or four emails said they would) just turned up, in the allocated time slot though so can’t complain there.

Bloke was nice enough and did the job fairly quickly and appear to be balanced well, didn’t mark the wheels face.

Jacked off the sill rather than the under chassis point where you’d position a lift using an airbag jack. Result the sills are marked now removing the top coat of paint with one side being worse than the other and a tiny bit bent over. Annoying that could be easily avoided with a little more care. I’ll probably have to scrape the flaked paint off and maybe give it a tiny bit of paint for protection just as I am fairly critical of the car upkeep.

Feedback form was just a few questions to rate 0-5, no space to write comments..

Soldato
Anyone familiar with Dunlop - Sport Maxx RT 2?

Reviews seems mostly positive although as they were introduced back in 2016 I’m apprehensive as I imagine tyre technology, compounds and such have moved on considerably since then.

Originally planned to go for UniRoyal Rainsport 5’s but read lots of reviewers saying how in dry warm conditions they wear really fast.

The Dunlop’s seem a bargain on Blackcircles with 15% off in 225/40/18 it works out mail order £62.55 per tyre.

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
As it happens they are the exact tyres on my GTI, they were brand new on when I bought it in August last year. Granted, not the tyre I'd have picked personally (would have had PS4S or AS6).

They seem ok, a bit of understeer when pushing on, and they seem quite hard as they still have around 5mm of tread.

I have no direct comparison though, as I say they were brand new on the car when I bought it so I've not changed them yet. Would love to get a set of PS4S on there next.

Soldato
That pretty much sums up my expectations to be fair. Thank you.

Costco had a cracking deal on PS4’s but wouldn’t let me add to basket, assuming stock had ran out as they don’t even appear now.

The car has 3 brands of tyres, two new fronts were put on the car for sale, though they are terrible which is why I’m going to change all 4.

I have no doubt they will be a vast improvement than what is currently on.

Edit: Tyres arrived today and I managed to nip into Dexel to have them fitted.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Tyres fitted fine.. overall experience meh. This was Kwik Fit mobile.

Didn’t call when en route (as the three or four emails said they would) just turned up, in the allocated time slot though so can’t complain there.

Bloke was nice enough and did the job fairly quickly and appear to be balanced well, didn’t mark the wheels face.

Jacked off the sill rather than the under chassis point where you’d position a lift using an airbag jack. Result the sills are marked now removing the top coat of paint with one side being worse than the other and a tiny bit bent over. Annoying that could be easily avoided with a little more care. I’ll probably have to scrape the flaked paint off and maybe give it a tiny bit of paint for protection just as I am fairly critical of the car upkeep.

Feedback form was just a few questions to rate 0-5, no space to write comments..
You can almost certainly find a mobile tyre guy who runs his own business and does a much better job. I found a guy on Google some weeks ago when I had a puncture driving to London and the guy was top notch. Just searched Google Maps and chose the closest independent mobile tyre fitter.

Likewise down here at home I have a regular tyre guy who does all my fittings at home.

On the tyres front, having driven through lots of stormy/rainy motorway hauls this season, I am happy to stay PS4S for as long as they are still being sold. Can't say fairer than that really. I still question the speed and lack of care at which others in your everyday cars seem to drive in such conditions though. Got passed by a Tiguan Sat evening up the A3 which was waterlogged so kicking up water everywhere, guy didn't even indicate and pulled back in less than 2 car lengths in front of me splashing my whole windscreen.

No wonder there are so many accidents... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Was going to buy some winter or all season tyres for my x5 but due to the stupid size of the rims, they were going to cost close to £1800 for the set and then these cropped up locally. 4 x OE 20" 748M alloys with Bridgestone Blizzak winter tyres with 7 to 8mm tread complete with TPMS valves for £1800 allin. Will make buying new tyres next time even cheaper and can then sell n when I dont have the car anymore.

That's quite the bargain! Were you not tempted to go down to 18"? It would have saved you a bit and opened up the choice of winter tyres.

Talking of which, I finally found some time to clean, polish/protect and fit my winter wheels with CC2's despite the 2C temps outside. I knew I should have cleaned them when I took them off...

y4m7UKoii_U_oaNvkyiwkTh9pe_77JrMhKq93c533gGhlw7HMkqJeddY9WH749cFiG5KST0ENsFTi4kFeNqgevowWeDet4NCWs0F3IlrD0qsURV3D2U0Wn5nS8LdU0n37lZV251u2xQZiDWm8YQBAdyIda4Q7Ztwev02hSWEDWwxC8

Obviously made sure they were fitted going in the right direction :). The CC2's had 5.6/6.0mm left on them (rear/front) from their use last winter. Not sure if they are 8.0 or 8.5mm when new but they should last a few more winters.

Soldato
That's quite the bargain! Were you not tempted to go down to 18"? It would have saved you a bit and opened up the choice of winter tyres.

Talking of which, I finally found some time to clean, polish/protect and fit my winter wheels with CC2's despite the 2C temps outside. I knew I should have cleaned them when I took them off...

Obviously made sure they were fitted going in the right direction :). The CC2's had 5.6/6.0mm left on them (rear/front) from their use last winter. Not sure if they are 8.0 or 8.5mm when new but they should last a few more winters.

7mm from new :) Mine are on 5.5/5.7mm after around 13k miles. Rotated twice (6k miles)

Last edited:
Caporegime

y4m7UKoii_U_oaNvkyiwkTh9pe_77JrMhKq93c533gGhlw7HMkqJeddY9WH749cFiG5KST0ENsFTi4kFeNqgevowWeDet4NCWs0F3IlrD0qsURV3D2U0Wn5nS8LdU0n37lZV251u2xQZiDWm8YQBAdyIda4Q7Ztwev02hSWEDWwxC8

18 or 19 would be better but these were local less than an hour away and sets dont come up often

Soldato
7mm from new :) Mine are on 5.5/5.7mm after around 13k miles. Rotated twice (6k miles)

I had to check that and you're right, the CC2s are 7mm when new! Always thought new tyres were at least 8mm out the poke. I think the mileage/wear is similar to you then but in half the time.

18 or 19 would be better but these were local less than an hour away and sets dont come up often

I agree they don't, I searched last year and didn't find anything so had to buy the alloys and tyres separately.

Caporegime
I had to check that and you're right, the CC2s are 7mm when new! Always thought new tyres were at least 8mm out the poke. I think the mileage/wear is similar to you then but in half the time.

I agree they don't, I searched last year and didn't find anything so had to buy the alloys and tyres separately.

Yeah I didnt want to wait around any longer. They were some up for sale down south but would have cost more than these. These were immaculate, not a single scratch anywhere and only 18 months old. Came with receipt from main BMW dealer for £3600 for the alloys alone. Add another £1000 for the tyres.

Soldato
That's a lot of money for wheels, but hey BMW being BMW. I bought 18" non-oems alloys (Rial X10's) new for around £550 and the tyres were under £600 so not too bad. It would have been a lot more if I'd decided to stay with the 20" as you can imagine but couldn't get the CC2s in 20" at that time.

Back
Top Bottom