**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Dunno. I wouldn't be so sure on that. They might have fitted something they had which was close enough.

Then that might also align with what the dealer is saying.

If its a wheel speed sensor system, then even a different tyre width or sidewall percentage could cause an issue.
I'm not sure - as a complete layman mind, it seems unlikely/daft that Honda (or any other maker) would come up with a system that would effectively limit you to one tyre... What if Michelin or whoever stopped making it, would then then expect an owner to live with the warning.

In all the years I had a car, and the numerous tyres I went though, I never once heard of anything so restrictive - it was always a case of giving them the three measurements and occasionally a rating, and it was job done.

Soldato
I'm not sure - as a complete layman mind, it seems unlikely/daft that Honda (or any other maker) would come up with a system that would effectively limit you to one tyre... What if Michelin or whoever stopped making it, would then then expect an owner to live with the warning.

In all the years I had a car, and the numerous tyres I went though, I never once heard of anything so restrictive - it was always a case of giving them the three measurements and occasionally a rating, and it was job done.

I don't think brand is the issue. I think it is more likely to be the size. Happy to be proven wrong though.

For example 245/35/18 and 225/40/18 tyres are both 18" tyres which would fit on the same wheels with a very similar diameter. If you have someone who desperately needs a tyre and you don't have any 245/35/18 tyres, what do you do? You might think (probably correctly most of the time for most cars) that giving 225/40/18 wheels will suffice.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Wife found the paperwork, it was a 215/55/R17, so the same as her existing tyres; just a different brand.

Oh well, with any luck it is just dicky batteries in the sensor(s) or the tyre gunk messed them up, and can be sorted - at least she'll stop bending my ear then :D

Man of Honour
I've heard of tyre gunk messing up TPMS before. While I've not had to rely on it personally friends and family who've had to use it have never had any success - I keep plugs like the AA/RAC use in my vehicles - though last time I had a puncture I still ended up calling the RAC out as the vehicle had no spare and no jack even to make it easier to plug :(

Associate
Honda used both Direct(psi) and Indirect(wheel speed) depending on the year of the CRV from memory.

I bet that it is a indirect system due to no pressure on the dash. If they have fitted a new tyre to 1 side even if it is the same size/load/speed rating the rolling raduius will be different to the worn tyre on the other side. Most system will allow 2-3mm difference across the axle before it triggers.

What is the depth of the tyre on the other side? ill hazard a guess that it will be 4-5mm and the new tyre will be 7-8mm

Alex

Associate
Currently attempting to buy new tyres (I thought I needed them a couple of months ago, but was informed they were ok), and having issues finding them.

I hadd been looking for PS4S (non runflat, although the current PZero on there are runflats).

Due to the wheels being larger than the stock ones reg lookup is useless, and putting in the sizes for front and rear seem to be returning varied results on the usual sites.

I have tried Blackcircles, Mytyres, Asda tyres (closest fitter I would trust on their list is about 15 miles away) and Costco. I had settled on Costco as they are close (and cheapest, and also have a £100 discount on 4 tyres being fitted at the moment bringing the savings down to over £250 on anywhere else), but thire results differ daily and today they only have the runflats in the rear size and non runflats to fit the front and also state they wont fit non standard manufacturer specification tyres?

Any other recommendations on where to get the following:

PS4S:
Front: 225/35/20
Rear: 255/30/20

Caporegime
Currently attempting to buy new tyres (I thought I needed them a couple of months ago, but was informed they were ok), and having issues finding them.

I hadd been looking for PS4S (non runflat, although the current PZero on there are runflats).

Due to the wheels being larger than the stock ones reg lookup is useless, and putting in the sizes for front and rear seem to be returning varied results on the usual sites.

I have tried Blackcircles, Mytyres, Asda tyres (closest fitter I would trust on their list is about 15 miles away) and Costco. I had settled on Costco as they are close (and cheapest, and also have a £100 discount on 4 tyres being fitted at the moment bringing the savings down to over £250 on anywhere else), but thire results differ daily and today they only have the runflats in the rear size and non runflats to fit the front and also state they wont fit non standard manufacturer specification tyres?

Any other recommendations on where to get the following:

PS4S:
Front: 225/35/20
Rear: 255/30/20

You should be able to order the right tyres to Costco but it will likely mean going and speaking to the tyre desk and having them ordered in. They might be able to order them if you call them, I’m not sure.

Associate
You should be able to order the right tyres to Costco but it will likely mean going and speaking to the tyre desk and having them ordered in. They might be able to order them if you call them, I’m not sure.

I will pop in and chat to them tomorrow and check, online it looks like they ship them to the local one anyway so not sure if they have any stock.

Associate
They finally had stock of the PS4S in both sizes, and as a bonus the offer for £100 off if 4 were purchased had been extended. Ordered just after midnight Monday, they arrived at the local Costco today, and are being fitted on Monday. All for the bargain amount of £845.52 (this does include the normal fees but I believe there could be a bit more due to TPMS valves, not the sensors), it's still a lot better than the £1080+ I had been quoted elsewhere.

Probably need to purchase a large can of tyre weld now just in case!

Caporegime
They finally had stock of the PS4S in both sizes, and as a bonus the offer for £100 off if 4 were purchased had been extended. Ordered just after midnight Monday, they arrived at the local Costco today, and are being fitted on Monday. All for the bargain amount of £845.52 (this does include the normal fees but I believe there could be a bit more due to TPMS valves, not the sensors), it's still a lot better than the £1080+ I had been quoted elsewhere.

Probably need to purchase a large can of tyre weld now just in case!
I was in Costco on Friday and they can only get PS4 for the rears and PS5's for the fronts. Wondering if this going to be a problem. Thoughts? It's a 428i non X-Drive.

Soldato
Costco don't have them and couldn't get them in my size. I'd rather buy from there. I'll wait and see what offer they have next week as there's usually an offer on.
Keep checking blackcircles; they often do a 15% off code. It's currently just on Contis but guarantee it'll be on PS5 again soon.

Man of Honour
Costco don't have them and couldn't get them in my size. I'd rather buy from there. I'll wait and see what offer they have next week as there's usually an offer on.
Csc7 seems to be rated pretty highly
Worth a look

Back
Top Bottom