**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Yeah I heard that, but didn't realise they're in offer that frequently.
You can track my posts in this thread a while back. I was after 4 PS5s. I waited out two 15% offers as it was almost black Friday. On or around black Friday they just did 15% again, lol. I will check timestamps of my print screens but fairly certain my longest wait was 3 weeks.

Soldato
Anyone have any experience with the Ultrac Vorti R+? My only Vred usage was with their all season (Quatrac 5 iirc). Needing to plan some tyres for the GT's new alloys. 305/30/20 and 265/35/20. It's between the Vorti R+ and the Conti Sport Contact 7s (without spending silly money). Thanks.

Continental Conti Sport Contact 7 - 265/35 R20 (99Y) XL FR TL = £227.90 inc.VAT
Continental Conti Sport Contact 7 - 305/30 R20 (103Y) XL FR TL = £234.00 inc.VAT
£923.80

Vredestein Ultrac Vorti R+ - 265/35 R20 (99Y) XL TL = £171.05 inc.VAT
Vredestein Ultrac Vorti R+ - 305/30 R20 (103Y) XL TL = £187.80 inc.VAT
£717.70

Last edited:
Soldato
What GT are they for?

Have you looked at the Bridgestone or Goodyear equivalents? Even Hankook are decent, be it the S1 Evo 3, or the Evo Z if you're looking for UUHP summers.

Soldato
What GT are they for?

Have you looked at the Bridgestone or Goodyear equivalents? Even Hankook are decent, be it the S1 Evo 3, or the Evo Z if you're looking for UUHP summers.
Hey, they're for a Mustang.

I have Bridgestone Potenza Sport on the current wheels, great tyre, but, unpredictable below 10 or so degrees. They can just break away. Need heat in em.

As I'm going forced induction I'm changing wheels to get some wider rubber down. And prices just go up crazy. I'm wanting to move away from the Bridgestone this time. Yeah I like the hankook tyres, but not sure they do those sizes.

It's whether to gamble on the Vorti R+ (no reviews) or stick to the known safer(?) conti's.

Cheers.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I've just plumped for a set of the ContiSportContact 7 for the McLaren, they'll be fitted toward the end of the week. 225/35/20 and 295/30/21 coming in at almost exactly £1k. I don't quite know how I've done it but I've smashed through a second set of rear PZeros in ~7k miles. It does get driven "properly" so I'd expected fast wear but perhaps not this fast. I'm going to get a proper geo/alignment done very soon anyway so I'll ask them if the current geometry would result in accelerated wear and see how the Contis stack up.

My previous experience of the CSC5 tyre was that it was absolutely incredible in both wet and dry conditions - far, far superior to the then-hyped MPSS but the wear was absolutely abysmal. The reviews of the 7 seem to suggest they have caught up, so we'll see.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've just plumped for a set of the ContiSportContact 7 for the McLaren, they'll be fitted toward the end of the week. 225/35/20 and 295/30/21 coming in at almost exactly £1k. I don't quite know how I've done it but I've smashed through a second set of rear PZeros in ~7k miles. It does get driven "properly" so I'd expected fast wear but perhaps not this fast. I'm going to get a proper geo/alignment done very soon anyway so I'll ask them if the current geometry would result in accelerated wear and see how the Contis stack up.

My previous experience of the CSC5 tyre was that it was absolutely incredible in both wet and dry conditions - far, far superior to the then-hyped MPSS but the wear was absolutely abysmal. The reviews of the 7 seem to suggest they have caught up, so we'll see.

My experiences with Contis generally has been really good tyres but wear quite a bit faster than average. Though I've not had a set of CSCs on a McLaren so your mileage might vary hah.

EDIT: Last set I used were down to 4.5mm at around 4000 miles :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I was gonna say, it was only last summer you had them changed. Think I’m putting CS7 on the F80.

Man of Honour
Also looking at the CS7s, although stock seems to be reducing and prices going up. Wear is meant to be better than previous generations. Haven’t had CSs since the 4s/5s and although they had a high rate of wear, they were incredible tyres. I can’t wait to get the Pzeros off, granted they aren’t too bad on this car, largely flattered by Quattro, but I hate the tyre.

Need to get the alignment done also. I have about 3mm or so wear difference across most tyres. Have never seen anything like it.

Just trying to hold off until the potholes improve a bit post winter.

Last edited:
Associate
Well my Costco experience was a bit of a failure, turned up on time and after 30 minutes I was informed they wouldn't fit the PS4S as they aren't an approved BMW tyre in that size and they aren't allowed to fit non BMW approved on any BMWs with XDrive.

Soldato
Need some mutlti-climate tyres for my bike - you can tell on these frosty mornings just how much the handling deteriorates, increased rolling resistance, & non supple rubber,
you never notice it to that degree on a car with something else driving the wheels

Soldato
Michelin PS4 or Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3? Yes I realise both are old versions now but seemingly run flat tyres are behind the times :(

Best advice I can give - ditch the runflats - it was the best thing I ever did on my BMW F11! It drives and rides like a totally different car now, the tyres are cheaper and you can just carry a can of tyre gunk around with you - this is the one I brought: https://www.airman-uk.com/product/450ml-universal-tyre-sealant/

Last edited:
Soldato
Crikey, tyres have gone up a lot since I last looked. Just ordered a pair of PS4S fronts in 265 35 20. Last (probably 6 months ago, maybe more) I looked they were £235 fitted, bought today and it cost £298 fitted

Last edited:
Soldato
Had some Michelin CC2 fitted today

First time buying all season tyres

Had Kumho summer tyres previously which were like being on rails in the wet on roundabouts

Always a nice feeling regardless having new tyres :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Had some Michelin CC2 fitted today

First time buying all season tyres

Had Kumho summer tyres previously which were like being on rails in the wet on roundabouts

Always a nice feeling regardless having new tyres :D

Reminds me we had a bunch of Crossclimate Agilis delivered to work - didn't know or forgot they existed. Possibly after 3 instances of people getting vans stuck recently costing us a grand in recovery fees (and more in costs due to the impact of having the vans unable to do their job and out of action for a day or so).

Last edited:
Associate
Best advice I can give - ditch the runflats - it was the best thing I ever did on my BMW F11! It drives and rides like a totally different car now, the tyres are cheaper and you can just carry a can of tyre gunk around with you - this is the one I brought: https://www.airman-uk.com/product/450ml-universal-tyre-sealant/

Thanks - did similar with my E92 and it improved things but that was a 2010 and I think run flats have improved since. I have the 18" on my G31 and I have to say the ride is perfectly fine and comfortable with the run flats. Price wise in my sizes they don't seem to be significantly different.

Back
Top Bottom