**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Here's a little bit of instantaneous low-data feedback on the Continental ContiSportContact 7 tyres I've had fitted today on the McLaren. Caveats are that I've switched from heavily worn tyres to new ones and as I'm human I also know they've been changed which is an automatic unconscious bias. Anyway... They are overall noticeably quieter than the MC-rated PZeros which came off. I noticed this within 100m of the tyre place, so its not a small change. The lower frequency noise is still there, perhaps even slightly louder but everything else seems quieter. The PZeros are full of foam, the Contis aren't so I honestly didn't expect this to be the case but there we go. Grip at 13/14c (tyre temp as shown on the dash) is miles better than the PZero at the same cold temps, I'd need 25c+ in the PZero to be able to accelerate that briskly without the ESC light blinking at me. Subjectively, they feel awesome from cold which is exactly how I remember CSC5 to be so that bodes well for them being a great tyre.

Everything else will have to wait for a proper spirited drive. I think they feel a bit sharper on turn-in (but that could just be the increased grip) but I didn't have a chance to try and really get the car turned in hard as there was a bit too much traffic around.

Soldato
Thanks - did similar with my E92 and it improved things but that was a 2010 and I think run flats have improved since. I have the 18" on my G31 and I have to say the ride is perfectly fine and comfortable with the run flats. Price wise in my sizes they don't seem to be significantly different.
I definitely agree that runflats have improved - I had the very first design of Bridgestones on my E87 130i which were totally awful - they only lasted 7000 miles on the rear axle and cost a fortune.

That said, I still don't think they've improved anywhere near enough - I will never put them on my F11 (or any car for that matter) going forwards having seen the difference a set of normal Michelin PS4s make. If you want a normal tyre with some Runflat properties then there is an option to look at the ContiSeals which have the layer of gunk inside pre-applied in case of any punctures but I'm happy carrying my tyre gunk about and if I have a full on blow out - if local I'll just get my other half to bring me a winter wheel/tyre so I can get home or if further away, I'll call the breakdown people out! A runflat blowout would be no or more less beneficial anyway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Here's a little bit of instantaneous low-data feedback on the Continental ContiSportContact 7 tyres I've had fitted today on the McLaren. Caveats are that I've switched from heavily worn tyres to new ones and as I'm human I also know they've been changed which is an automatic unconscious bias. Anyway... They are overall noticeably quieter than the MC-rated PZeros which came off. I noticed this within 100m of the tyre place, so its not a small change. The lower frequency noise is still there, perhaps even slightly louder but everything else seems quieter. The PZeros are full of foam, the Contis aren't so I honestly didn't expect this to be the case but there we go. Grip at 13/14c (tyre temp as shown on the dash) is miles better than the PZero at the same cold temps, I'd need 25c+ in the PZero to be able to accelerate that briskly without the ESC light blinking at me. Subjectively, they feel awesome from cold which is exactly how I remember CSC5 to be so that bodes well for them being a great tyre.

Everything else will have to wait for a proper spirited drive. I think they feel a bit sharper on turn-in (but that could just be the increased grip) but I didn't have a chance to try and really get the car turned in hard as there was a bit too much traffic around.

Can’t wait to get the PZeros off and some 7s on. Will be doing so in a few weeks.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So, further to my messages earlier in this thread... I hit a pothole this weekend which blew the offiside front, so now I definitely need new tyres... :mad:

Anyone have any ideas when Black Circles are having their next promotion?

Caporegime
So, further to my messages earlier in this thread... I hit a pothole this weekend which blew the offiside front, so now I definitely need new tyres... :mad:

Anyone have any ideas when Black Circles are having their next promotion?
Mytyres were significantly cheaper than anywhere else, but ordered yesterday, delivery by 28/02. They have the cheek to advertise fast delivery on their website but I saved £150 on 4 Michelin PS5’s. Still nearly £800!

Soldato
Mytyres were significantly cheaper than anywhere else, but ordered yesterday, delivery by 28/02. They have the cheek to advertise fast delivery on their website but I saved £150 on 4 Michelin PS5’s. Still nearly £800!

What size’s do you need ? camskill have the PS5s in the staggered 19 sizes 225/40 R19 and 255/35 R19 for just over £600 with the cashback deal they have at the moment.

Caporegime
What size’s do you need ? camskill have the PS5s in the staggered 19 sizes 225/40 R19 and 255/35 R19 for just over £600 with the cashback deal they have at the moment.
255/40/R18 and 225/45/R18. I'll have a look as I'm not happy about the delays. I was hoping to get them fitted by my mechanic prior to the MOT on Friday.

Checked and like many places I looked they only have one size I need.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dad's replacing his motor and currently the new one has eco contact tyres which on doing some review reading, appear to be very average, especially in wet conditions. So Ive booked him in to get x4 new hanhook kinergy 4s2 x all seasons fitted. They seem to get good solid reviews. Hope he likes them! :)

Man of Honour
Bridgestone Turanza t005 are still my favourite for actual wet conditions, shame they are so-so overall. It is something the reviews, especially synthetic benchmarks, don't really convey very well - despite being a bit behind some of the latest wet weather tyres for specific numbers very few tyres have as good driving dynamics in the wet for want of a better way to put it. In actual use they give you a sense of control and confidence that other tyres with better on paper numbers might not. For instance they are behind some of the latest and greatest wet weather tyres for braking distance but if you are actually having to brake hard in the wet they'll give you a level of feedback and control some others won't even if they won't stop you quite as quickly.

The difference with some wet weather tyres vs tyres in general when doing things like passing a lorry on a dual carriageway in torrential conditions with a slick surface can be huge - with some tyres, even good ones, it can be a bottom clenching experience.

Something I think that is missed in general with the rise of less known brand name tyres - some of these might put up impressive figures but when you actually come to driving on them they can lack the dynamics of better known tyres - kind of like food where a cheaper brand version of something might have cracked the ingredients list but is basically just guessing at the production methods and quantities.

EDIT: And with all due respect to Tyre Reviews I think the rankings, albeit a bit impractical, would look very different after doing a few 100 miles of all kinds of roads, conditions and traffic rather than simulations of those conditions on limited test tracks.

Last edited:
Associate
Just ordered 4x PS5's for my Golf GTI £456 225/40/ R18 from Blackcircle with 15% off. The original tyres have lasted 28k miles still got just under 3mm on them but had a bit of cracking in the thread but not on the sides. I'm planning on changing it next year and wanted to get some use out the new tyres.

Soldato
Due to a side-wall bulge (thank you potholes) I've now had an excuse to get the two P Zero's off the front.
Two new AS6's (swapped to rear) and then the two 6-month old AS6's on the front - this is on my Octy vRS (235/35/19)
Definite improvement, the car just feels that "more" stuck to the road, and I'd say the Goodyear's are quieter than the Pirelli.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Pzeros are absolutely crap in the UK except for on the hottest days we get.

Have you put any more miles on the contis? How they bedding in?

I had a run-out to C&M last week which had a couple of more dynamic sections and they are great - they switch on at a much lower temp than the PZero and the steering feel is excellent. Through fast sweepers the feeling of grip coming back through the steering wheel is absolutely immense, more than the PZero ever gave me even at perfect temperatures on track!

Looking forward to getting out for a proper hoon and see what they are like then - I'll feed back on that front soon :)

Man of Honour
£1000 later, CSC7s ordered to replace my worn tyres and the one split to the cord thanks to a pothole. Plus 4 wheel alignment.

I can’t see the split, goodness knows how long I’ve been driving on an unsafe tyre. It was probably the big thud about a week or so ago.

Going from 3 worn P zeros and 1 newish P zero to 4 new and aligned CSC7s should transform the driving experience.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Two of these for the front, will put the same on the rear in a couple of weeks too. Very nearly went for the Continental SC7's but got these for a decent price at a local place.

pM3rbsfl.jpeg

I’ve owned F1s in the past and they are excellent for the price. Good grip and wear. Unfortunately they don’t make my size.

Caporegime
What a palaver waiting for my PS5's. Ordered from mytyres, 'fast delivery' at the bottom, no indication that they don't hold UK stock, no indication they may take up to two weeks to be delivered. I ordered 4, front and back, one pair is coming from Germany, one pair from Holland apparently. One due next week, the other on 28/02 apparently.

Looks like one is in the country awaiting Customs clearance, the other still in Europe somewhere.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I oooh ahhhhh about the AS6 for a week, had the AS3 (currently on PS4), but due to the impending £2k bill in the next couple of months for work done, having already just paid for a service last week, savings needed to be made due to the lack of money tree so went for the cheaper little brother EfficentGrip Performance 2 instead, saving about 20%. I am hoping I don't regret it! (reviews seems good)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Suddenly realised I hadn’t seen the wheel nut locking key for a while. Panic over, it’s where it should be.

I still can’t find the damage on my tyre, there’s so little space to see. I could have driven on it for ages without spotting it. Will ask to see it when the new tyres get fitted on Tuesday, I’m curious as to what I’ve been driving on!

Last edited:
Soldato
Kingery all fitted. :cool:

All washed and scrubbed clean and then a fresh coat of autoglym tyre dressing.

Kinergy2.jpg

Kinergy1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom