**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Why did you pick Hankook over Goodyear, Michelin or Continental?

Do they make a better all season?
Recent reviews. :) Joint 1st in the latest review below. And I've had positive experience with past hankook tyres. The cross climate 2 was noted as having understeer during the testing.

I've had experience with the Vred Quatrac Pro all season which is just as good in the wet, but the hankook is also better in snow performance. So that tipped it for me.

Soldato
Interested to see how long they last, good results in the wet, Michelin claim almost identical performance at 4mm which is difficult to match and long lifespan.

Did you take off brand new tyres for these? Any contribution from the dealer or a deal to be done?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Interested to see how long they last, good results in the wet, Michelin claim almost identical performance at 4mm which is difficult to match and long lifespan.

Did you take off brand new tyres for these? Any contribution from the dealer or a deal to be done?

Something a lot of tyre reviews don’t test, but users often report with some brands is how performance drops off with age/wear. I mean it’s obviously going to happen, but it seems to happen far more dramatically with some brands.

I came close to choosing Dunlop/Hankook, but in my size the Contis were only a few quid more which made them a no brainier.

Man of Honour
Took an afternoon off work
Limped to the tyre place
Got told their machine is broken and etyres should have emailed you
He sorted with them to rebook for sunday
Limped home with a tyre that now also has a small vibration
Will never use etyres again and will go direct in future.
Why is life so difficult.
Back to having to get up before 6am so that I can use our other car.

Soldato
Limped to the tyre place
Not 100% sure that is a compliant Haiku, but good effort.

Soldato
Limped to the tyre place
I've vowed never to use eTyres after my experience last year - although I do aim part of the blame at the "hundreds of local fitters to choose from". They obviously have a deal with eTyres and if it isn't enough, if it really isn't worth their while doing that work then don't sign up for it.
Don't start telling me about how the local fitter is getting a bad deal and then proceed to upsell me for what I consider a simple safety measure (tyre rotation) and should be included in the price.

Man of Honour
I've vowed never to use eTyres after my experience last year - although I do aim part of the blame at the "hundreds of local fitters to choose from". They obviously have a deal with eTyres and if it isn't enough, if it really isn't worth their while doing that work then don't sign up for it.
Don't start telling me about how the local fitter is getting a bad deal and then proceed to upsell me for what I consider a simple safety measure (tyre rotation) and should be included in the price.

According to the fitter they aren’t told the slot that’s booked and then ‘couldn’t book me in without speaking to etyres’. After making it clear how ridiculous the whole thing was he spoke to them, arranged a new slot and booked me onto their own system too, so at least I have a real time slot at the garage now and hope they’ll let me know beforehand before I travel there. I think I’ll just pay more and go direct next time, not that this fitter has any of my tyres on their website, which is why I went to a third party.

Whatever happened to fitting tyres by hand? Especially in such a scenario where I’m told I shouldn’t be driving the car and to ‘brake carefully’, geez, ya think.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Whatever happened to fitting tyres by hand? Especially in such a scenario where I’m told I shouldn’t be driving the car and to ‘brake carefully’, geez, ya think.

Could get one of the recovery services albeit at a cost to deal with it rather than drive - personally I've just used Black Circles with the mobile fitting service when I've had problems like that - albeit the QQ was still safe to drive with the plug in the tyre but still was just less messing about.

Man of Honour
Could get one of the recovery services albeit at a cost to deal with it rather than drive - personally I've just used Black Circles with the mobile fitting service when I've had problems like that - albeit the QQ was still safe to drive with the plug in the tyre but still was just less messing about.

If it wasn’t for my completely out of whack alignment I’d have absolutely gotten it done on the drive, I have every other time. Heck, if I knew it was going to be this shambolic I would have done that then gone to get it aligned. Live and learn I guess. My alignment probably isn’t even that far out, it’s just the one tyre that has about 3/4 of its life in it vs 3 others that are nearly finished.

Soldato

Sorry I missed your question. So I took off some conti eco contact tyres. They were not brand new. Looked original - so about 4 year old and about 12k miles covered.

Caporegime
Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 fitted today.

First impression at driving around under 30mph around town, speed bumps. It's quiet, it's comfortable, more so than the PS4. Cosmetically, it doesn't look as cool, the side walls is more rounded than the more straight side face of the Michelin. But it does have more rims protection.

Edit - Driven 25mins on A roads, it’s definitely quieter, notably so but handling has less feedback than the PS4.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Was hoping to get mine done today, but they phoned up yesterday saying the tyre machine still isn’t fixed and could damage my alloys, so now booked in Wednesday. If there’s an issue again I’ll just cancel and get a mobile out next weekend. Good thing we have a second car.

Soldato
Was hoping to get mine done today, but they phoned up yesterday saying the tyre machine still isn’t fixed and could damage my alloys, so now booked in Wednesday. If there’s an issue again I’ll just cancel and get a mobile out next weekend. Good thing we have a second car.

Have you complained to “MyTyres”?

I once had an issue via BlackCircles and the booking slot, even thought it wasn’t a big deal I did get in touch with BlackCircles who refunded me 15% of my order for the inconvenience.

I was happy with the above as it saved a decent amount considering there is never much wriggle room in tyre prices to start with.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have you complained to “MyTyres”?

I once had an issue via BlackCircles and the booking slot, even thought it wasn’t a big deal I did get in touch with BlackCircles who refunded me 15% of my order for the inconvenience.

I was happy with the above as it saved a decent amount considering there is never much wriggle room in tyre prices to start with.

Good idea, I’ve just done this.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I went with the Goodyear AS6's in the end as I needed to get the spacesaver off. Need them to do a Goodyear sale now! :D

Back
Top Bottom