**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Anyone for crack?
The PS4 kind.

uc

Associate
Been using the Meguiars one for years and never had an issue on previous cars with older tyres than this - and looking at the above PS4 cracking seemingly being a common thing I doubt that's the cause. Can't really see here but the front tyres have the exact same shoulder cracking as in @kona786 photo

Soldato
Never use that black gel on your tyres or any other product which makes them look shiny as it causes cracking!

I’ve always thought these type of products actually help prevent this type of cracking by offering some form of UV Protection and Conditioning the tyre wall.

Car Pro Pearl for example.

Anyone for crack?
The PS4 kind.

uc

I had similar a few years back on a pair of Dunlop SportMax RT’s - This lead me to check the tyre further and I noticed cracks throughout the tyre inside the tread, worth having a look.

Last edited:
Associate
So, opinions on all season tyres? The 3 series is going to need some new rubber this year, currently rolling on the factory PZero RFTs with 25k miles - which seems decent!

Debating if it’s worth going the way of something like a Crossclimate or do I stick with summer tyres and go the way of SportContact 7 or similar and endure the winter. Ultimately I can manage without the car if the weather is particularly terrible in winter as I can work remotely or get a train if needed (albeit much slower and subject to their own delays)

Soldato
So, opinions on all season tyres? The 3 series is going to need some new rubber this year, currently rolling on the factory PZero RFTs with 25k miles - which seems decent!

Debating if it’s worth going the way of something like a Crossclimate or do I stick with summer tyres and go the way of SportContact 7 or similar and endure the winter. Ultimately I can manage without the car if the weather is particularly terrible in winter as I can work remotely or get a train if needed (albeit much slower and subject to their own delays)

Do you want a sporty drive? Get summer tyres

Do you want a tyre which will give you good longevity and better safety in winter months? Get an all season.

Soldato

Do you own or drive on a pea shingle surface regularly? If so don't get crossclimates :D I sort of jest, but the treads absolutely hoover up small stones. I'm forever picking them out, a fairly satisfying feeling, but I do it to prevent them coming out at motorway speeds and hitting other cars.

I am not sure I'll be replacing my crossclimates when they eventually wear, they look to be lasting me 40k+ miles on current wear rate (2mm wear for 20k miles roughly) but this winter there were a number of days of snow, and while they are good the roads were either blocked/closed forcing diversions anyway, or the snow had turned to ice and the all seasons weren't much better at dealing with the ice, especially those ridges of frozen snow inbetween lanes from the snow ploughs, it's not worth drivng over/through them.

One thing I've noticed, is that on fresh snow fall, the crossclimates are great, they set off and stop much better than summer tyres. But when you get out to the slushy, icy stuff on the main roads, they aren't that much better than summer tyres, especially when speeds are limited anyway by slow traffic and 30mph limits etc. I've driven in the right hand lane of dual carriageways in heavy snow on them, and you obviously still have to limit your speeds, so you don't get anywhere quicker than just being stuck in the single cleared lane on summer tyres.

I would say, and this is me changing my mind after using all seasons for a couple of years now, is unless you live somewhere really quiet, down a farm track or somewhere with little traffice/untreated roads that you cannot avoid, and that you get multiple days per years where you are forced to drastically change your plans, then they might be worth it. I thought they would offer me lots of winter benefit but they just highlight the fact that even if you are prepared, others wont be and you'll still have to take the diversions where cars crash and where roads get closed.

For winter use, compared to Primacy 4s I only noticed a difference in handling etc. at temps much below the often used 7C limit. I would struggle to notice a difference between say a Primacy 4 and a Crossclimate 2 at 3C but get into sub zero -5 or colder, and the crossclimate 2s feel like a summer tyre does at say 20C, you can feel the difference. I would put the change over point at around 0-3C to truly feel different and the performance difference is not something I have tested, just years of driving the same route and feeling the difference.

At around freezing, you start to feel a little difference but they still perform fairly the same, for example driving along at 40-50mph and having to stop suddenly for a red light, you would be hard pressed to feel a difference between the crossclimate and the primacy 4, at least I couldn't feel much difference, they stop without issue in either case.

My car doesn't need UHP summer tyres, mid/high end touring range is all I used and the crossclimates are just as good in the wet/dry as the summer tyres unless really pushed laterally, like tight roandabouts, you just can't feel where they are at and feel light and vague. They have very vague central feel due to the block pattern.
They handle high temps fine. last year in the insane heat wave, temps were 35C and the tyres worked without issue.

They deal really well with slippery/muddy/grass surfaces though, I go walking a lot and haven't had any issues with them going down muddy/rocky roads, that was a benefit that I didn't think about, but again it's not like a summer tyre wouldn't deal with it, just it's slightly less susceptible and a little easier to deal with.

Sorry for the long winded rambling post. Just don't swallow the hype like I did, but overall I have been happy with them, just that they aren't essential in our climate beyond a few edge cases imo.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Sorry for the long winded rambling post. Just don't swallow the hype like I did, but overall I have been happy with them, just that they aren't essential in our climate beyond a few edge cases imo.

The problem is it is very much an edge case thing in this country but sometimes you are in a position where if that eventually does happen then there is no substitute. Personally I'm erring for now on having a set of summer and winter wheels but that does mean having a chunk of money spent on something which is mostly sitting around.

Personally I can be driving all kinds of roads, any time of the day or night in any weather so if it comes to it summer tyres just won't cut it but ironically since spending money on being prepared we've either had mild winters or I've not had to work the 1-2 days it has been bad LOL.

EDIT: Saying that I did this road the other way around with ice one night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-l9zd5rUoQ on the Bridgestone Turanzas and didn't have any issues surprisingly, I did it in the Qashqai in severe flooding a few weeks back and that was a bit hairy though especially the tyres (Avon ZX7) were not ideal.

Last edited:
Associate
The problem is it is very much an edge case thing in this country but sometimes you are in a position where if that eventually does happen then there is no substitute.
Now this is a valid point - if the weather is so bad that I can’t reasonably drive to work, I’ll just phone up and let them know I’m working remote and I’m sure most of the office would do the same. Similarly we have supermarkets a walkable distance so having the cars off the road for a short duration isn’t going to cause issues.

Might just stick with the summer tyres - got CSC7s being fitted to the Z4 this week so will see how they feel before making a choice on the 3 series

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom