**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
How often are Protyre and Blackcircles sales? Both have flash sales off until end of tomorrow - 20% (though it's not working for me) and 15% respectively - but I still have another 1000 miles / 6 weeks at least in my tyres until they reach around 2-3mm. And the Michelin offer of £20 cashback which also expires tomorrow.

2x PSS would come down from £270 fitted to around £220-230, and maybe cashback on top.
Every 6 weeks max

Soldato
Seems like none of the recently released sports tyres are available in 17s... :o

Any recommendations for 225/45/17? Have literally melted and taken out chunks of the previous Continental Premium Contact 6s and ContiSport Contact 5s...

They're for my 2002 Impreza STi. Looking for a fast road and track tyre, but have no interest in semi slicks as I'd like to retain some grip when it's colder and more... moist :p
Opted for the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 6s in 225/45/17 94Y XL. £358 fully fitted.

Don't feel like I had a great choice of better performing tyres in this size to be fair. The Conti Premium 7s and PS5s, whilst seemingly scoring better overall, the Goodyear's seemed to fair slightly better performance-wise and I couldn't argue with the price!

Don
Opted for the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 6s in 225/45/17 94Y XL. £358 fully fitted.

Don't feel like I had a great choice of better performing tyres in this size to be fair. The Conti Premium 7s and PS5s, whilst seemingly scoring better overall, the Goodyear's seemed to fair slightly better performance-wise and I couldn't argue with the price!

Any of those choices are great, and I doubt anyone here could tell the difference from inside the car

Soldato
Fitted the PS5's this afternoon. Was in and out within the hour. Good service at Protyre.

uc

uc

Soldato
I'm loyal to the sidewall though think I'll probably end up on CS7's with a £140 saving over a pair of 4S / PS5 (275/35/19) :(

Conti CS7 are like a BTEC Michelin sidewall… Could be worse :D

***/35/19 - Could be worse but not particularly a cheap tyre size.

Definitely a no brainer over 4S/PS5 - I have no experience with either tyres you mention but echoing some comments posted in here and online the CS7 seem to edge the 4S and more so the PS5.

Conti have worked on their wear rates too I believe.

Can’t imagine you will regret going CS7’s unless you enjoy looking at your sidewalls often :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Conti CS7 are like a BTEC Michelin sidewall… Could be worse :D

***/35/19 - Could be worse but not particularly a cheap tyre size.

Definitely a no brainer over 4S/PS5 - I have no experience with either tyres you mention but echoing some comments posted in here and online the CS7 seem to edge the 4S and more so the PS5.

Conti have worked on their wear rates too I believe.

Can’t imagine you will regret going CS7’s unless you enjoy looking at your sidewalls often :cry:

Not that economy is something driving the decision though I use this car daily to commute so it does matter somewhat along with noise. The ratings attached to the CS7 seem to suggest it's poorer performing than the PS5 in both regards, however reviews I've ready suggest the opposite.

Caporegime
How often are Protyre and Blackcircles sales? Both have flash sales off until end of tomorrow - 20% (though it's not working for me) and 15% respectively - but I still have another 1000 miles / 6 weeks at least in my tyres until they reach around 2-3mm. And the Michelin offer of £20 cashback which also expires tomorrow.

2x PSS would come down from £270 fitted to around £220-230, and maybe cashback on top.
There's pretty much a sale every day for a different brand, you won't need to wait long.

Soldato
I took my wife's barely used Polo out to try and clean the brakes up a bit as months of pottering about had caused a load of rust build up. I was taking a look at the brakes when I got back and was then more concerned about the tyres.

I've already got it booked in for 4 new ones on Wednesday so this post is only really so you can all tell me I'm throwing money away but would you replace these? They are 7 years old with LOADS of tread left.

Caporegime
At seven years old I probably would, yes. It’s a Polo, surely even decent tyres are less than £100 each?

Had a look on black circles. Tbh on a Polo I’d probably go for Hankook or Kumho or something like that. A quality mid range.

Last edited:
Soldato
At seven years old I probably would, yes. It’s a Polo, surely even decent tyres are less than £100 each?

Had a look on black circles. Tbh on a Polo I’d probably go for Hankook or Kumho or something like that. A quality mid range.
Yeah I was all set to get a set of Kumho's for about £70 a corner but we've decided, and I know this is a bit of a marmite decision, to get a set of all seasons so I've opted for Michellin Crossclimate 2s, still at a shade under £100 a corner.

Will probably be the last set of tyres we end up fitting on it!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato

I've never understood this attitude. One of the only times that the difference between any two tyres is absolutely critical is in an emergency stop situation, potentially saving your life or the life of another. It doesn't matter if your car is a Polo or a LaFerrari, the limiting factor in stopping you is the tyre. Last time I looked, the difference between the best of the best UUHP tyre and the 10th best UUHP tyre in stopping distance is ~10m, which from 60mph is the difference between hitting something at ~20mph and not hitting anything at all.

Fit the best tyre you can possibly fit for the size available. Midrange tyres might as well not exist IMO and budgets ought to be illegal.

Caporegime
I've never understood this attitude. One of the only times that the difference between any two tyres is absolutely critical is in an emergency stop situation, potentially saving your life or the life of another. It doesn't matter if your car is a Polo or a LaFerrari, the limiting factor in stopping you is the tyre. Last time I looked, the difference between the best of the best UUHP tyre and the 10th best UUHP tyre in stopping distance is ~10m, which from 60mph is the difference between hitting something at ~20mph and not hitting anything at all.

Fit the best tyre you can possibly fit for the size available. Midrange tyres might as well not exist IMO and budgets ought to be illegal.
I agree when it comes to no name ditch finders but mid range tyres are still a valid choice on your average runaround I feel that mid range are acceptable. They may not have the sharpness of the latest sports tyre but are close.

Soldato
I agree when it comes to no name ditch finders but mid range tyres are still a valid choice on your average runaround I feel that mid range are acceptable. They may not have the sharpness of the latest sports tyre but are close.
I agree I've thankfully steered one or two friends who just think tyres are tyres, away from budget no named rubbish, to at least spend a bit more and fit some hankook Evo tyres. Much more acceptable.

Soldato
Not that economy is something driving the decision though I use this car daily to commute so it does matter somewhat along with noise. The ratings attached to the CS7 seem to suggest it's poorer performing than the PS5 in both regards, however reviews I've ready suggest the opposite.
You won't be disappointed. I like the sidewall on the csc7.

Back
Top Bottom