**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
You need to check the size again as I think it should be 255/35/19.

You've got a rear wheel drive car which I understand now has almost 400bhp. I think it does need to be something good, you clearly care about the performance of your car otherwise you'd not have bothered paying so much for those upgrades. So why then compromise on the area that will make the biggest difference to the handling of the car?

It's not even that much more expensive for decent tyres against something like the Rain Sports.

For example, for 255/35/19:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S: £165
Continental Sport Contact 7: £148
Rain Sport 5: £113

£35 a tyre really doesn't seem like it's worth the saving on a car like yours.

You will want to match the front tyres too, but this would apply to any tyre you'd select. What does it currently have?
Yes, typo my side on the number there.

It has sport contact 5 SSR at the moment.

The rears let go a little too often as it is, so an upgrade would be nice on the rear. I think I'll get the Pilot sport 4s, as I understand those are modified version ls to suit these cars?

Where are you seeing those prices? Looking mote like £200 a pop here.

Underboss
Yes, typo my side on the number there.

It has sport contact 5 SSR at the moment.

The rears let go a little too often as it is, so an upgrade would be nice on the rear. I think I'll get the Pilot sport 4s, as I understand those are modified version ls to suit these cars?

Where are you seeing those prices? Looking mote like £200 a pop here.

no idea what the piliot sport 5's are like but :

Caporegime
Buys 400 bhp RWD BMW, spends thousands on mapping it + exhaust, and wants to fit Rainsports? lolwut?

The scary thing is that still makes him a cut above most. I mean, at least Rainsports would be "fine". It might not make sense to only fit mid-range tyres, but I dread to think how many 400HP cars out there have Nankangs, Linglongs, Landsails, etc fitted to them... Judging by what I've seen, its a lot.

Last edited:
Soldato
The scary thing is that still makes him a cut above most. I mean, at least Rainsports would be "fine". It might not make sense to only fit mid-range tyres, but I dread to think how many 400HP cars out there have Nankangs, Linglongs, Landsails, etc fitted to them... Judging by what I've seen, its a lot.
Rainsports are great in the rain tho hahaha

Man of Honour
But they have jelly sidewalls and will feel atrocious when pushing on.

How many miles are you doing? CS7 are getting fantastic reviews at present, it's likely what I'll stick on my M3 in a month or so. PS4S a second choice, or * marked if you can get them in your size.

Tyres make such a huge difference to pretty much everything on the way a car behaves and feels on the road, they should be top priority.

Soldato
But they have jelly sidewalls and will feel atrocious when pushing on.

How many miles are you doing? CS7 are getting fantastic reviews at present, it's likely what I'll stick on my M3 in a month or so. PS4S a second choice, or * marked if you can get them in your size.

Tyres make such a huge difference to pretty much everything on the way a car behaves and feels on the road, they should be top priority.
I'm not getting them.

I'm currently deciding between Pilot sport 5 and the Pilot sport 4S.

The 5 is £25 cheaper per tyre fitted.

Although, the sport contact 7 is cheaper still. And looks to be a contender

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not getting them.

I'm currently deciding between Pilot sport 5 and the Pilot sport 4S.

The 5 is £25 cheaper per tyre fitted.

Although, the sport contact 7 is cheaper still. And looks to be a contender
The BMW marked 4s is a totally different tyre too, so check out that one. I have ps5 and in 400hp they are fine but mine is AWD.

Man of Honour
So saving £50 on a pair of tyres is worth it for not much perceived difference.
That is exactly where the difference is. For example the 4S and BMW * marked 4S will likely perform very similar when looking at numbers, but in terms of feel and feedback, the * marked tyre will be much better.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I cannot fault the PS5's I had fitted to my 428i (245PS) in February in any way. Compared to the Pirelli runflats it had before it rides better, is quieter, handles a bit better too and I've had no issues in the torrential rain we've had up here recently as well as the baking temperatures at the beginning of last month when pressing on. Even the cold snap we had in March they performed well as long as you're gentle with the brake and throttle. The only thing I could say about them is they weren't cheap at £763 for all four. I'd recommend them. In the reviews they were near the top, but not at the top for nearly every test, they're just a really good all round tyre.

Soldato
If you'd saved money by not getting a remap you could have had better performing tyres :rolleyes:
I didn't just get a remap.... I got a nice exhaust too.
Also, saving money for minor differences is what we all aim to do.

Just because I could, doesn't mean I should fork out for super high performance.. when high performance is good enough for my needs.

Soldato
I didn't just get a remap.... I got a nice exhaust too.
Also, saving money for minor differences is what we all aim to do.

Just because I could, doesn't mean I should fork out for super high performance.. when high performance is good enough for my needs.
With your added power you'd surely want a shorter braking distance and better grip to put down the power?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Its 360bhp in a heavy F36 car, not exactly an m4, m3, m5 car pushing 500bhp through the rear wheels.

It's not heavy enough to make 360bhp not offer considerable performance. I'm not even sure how relevant the power is anyway, I wouldn't fit mid range tyres to our Mini either and that's only got 140bhp. Tyres really make such a difference to a car.

If I could only have good tyres or a remap I'd pick the tyres for sure.

We're quite fortunate (I have the same size tyres as you) that our size isn't particularly expensive for quality tyres against some other performance tyre sizes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom