**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Around 10 days and 150 miles in on the Michelin PS5. Gave it a test on a known roundabout today and was very impressed with the lateral grip. It just clawed on like I've never felt before. Very happy with the comfort too.

Cold pressures now set to 37F psi and 34R.

uc

Soldato
I took my wife's barely used Polo out to try and clean the brakes up a bit as months of pottering about had caused a load of rust build up. I was taking a look at the brakes when I got back and was then more concerned about the tyres.

I've already got it booked in for 4 new ones on Wednesday so this post is only really so you can all tell me I'm throwing money away but would you replace these? They are 7 years old with LOADS of tread left.

Every time I pass the car I have to stop and have another look, and every time I look I'm more convinced that I'm throwing away a perfectly serviceable set of tyres :o

Oh well, at least someone will get a decent set of part worns! I think the rears have about 6mm on them still :eek:

EDIT - Garage said that while I could have left them it was probably a good shout getting them done unless I wasn't planning on keeping the car much longer. Also, while abusing the local Wetherspoons unlimited coffee refills while they were being fitted I had a look through the MOT history and they were mentioned as a "monitor and repair if necessary" back in November 2021 due to cracking but not in 2022 weirdly.

Last edited:
Associate
After a bit of tyre advice.. I recently got a new/used car (Audi S3) that has 12k on the clock, the car is from 2019 and appears to have the original tyres still on it except one which must have been replaced in 2022. The other three are dated 2018, all of the tyres are Pirelli P Zero's (235/35 R19 Y).

I've had the car almost a month to the day now and tyres have felt absolutely fine however I have to make an unplanned trip down to the south of France and back in a couple weeks time and was wondering due to the age of the tyres if these would be safe for a long trip?

Is it worth me thinking about getting them swapped out? The tread I believe is 7mm on the 2022 tyre, and around 4.5/5mm on the 2018 tyres. Can take some pictures of the tyres later today.

Any advice is appreciated, I was also thinking of popping down to the local tyre place to see what they say.

Caporegime
Whether it's necessary is probably arguable but I don't think you'd be disappointed if you binned the P Zeros and changed them for some genuinely decent tyres, my vRS was like a different car with a set of PS4S on it

Associate
Whether it's necessary is probably arguable but I don't think you'd be disappointed if you binned the P Zeros and changed them for some genuinely decent tyres, my vRS was like a different car with a set of PS4S on it
I have been eyeing up the Michelin PS5 or PS4S, price doesn't seem to be too much difference between the two. Unfortunately no rim protection but I guess that is a risk to take!

Caporegime
Every time I pass the car I have to stop and have another look, and every time I look I'm more convinced that I'm throwing away a perfectly serviceable set of tyres :o

Oh well, at least someone will get a decent set of part worns! I think the rears have about 6mm on them still :eek:

EDIT - Garage said that while I could have left them it was probably a good shout getting them done unless I wasn't planning on keeping the car much longer. Also, while abusing the local Wetherspoons unlimited coffee refills while they were being fitted I had a look through the MOT history and they were mentioned as a "monitor and repair if necessary" back in November 2021 due to cracking but not in 2022 weirdly.

I've had a three year old set of Michelins start to go, seven years is good going. That's pretty much half the life of an average car.

Soldato
Bit of a weird one but has anyone ever had a set of tyres where the traction, treadwear and temperature ratings are completely blank?! The space is there but no ratings :confused:

I spotted it the day they were fitted then subsequently forgot all about it! Tyres are Michelin Crossclimate 2.

Soldato
Bit of a weird one but has anyone ever had a set of tyres where the traction, treadwear and temperature ratings are completely blank?! The space is there but no ratings :confused:

I spotted it the day they were fitted then subsequently forgot all about it! Tyres are Michelin Crossclimate 2.

They’re magic displays which show the right number depending on the current condition.

Might have made that up

Caporegime
I took my wife's barely used Polo out to try and clean the brakes up a bit as months of pottering about had caused a load of rust build up. I was taking a look at the brakes when I got back and was then more concerned about the tyres.

I've already got it booked in for 4 new ones on Wednesday so this post is only really so you can all tell me I'm throwing money away but would you replace these? They are 7 years old with LOADS of tread left.

Quite surprising how quickly some tyres go like this. I had some Goodyear's that did this after 3 years. But I've also had 20 year old Hankooks that looked perfectly fine.

Still have them actually, on my spare set of wheels...

Last edited:
Soldato
Getting some tyres fitted currently. So many (most) people are opting for the cheapest tyres available :o there isn't even that much difference in quoted prices for most of them...

I'm not that surprised by it but sort of am.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Getting some tyres fitted currently. So many (most) people are opting for the cheapest tyres available :o there isn't even that much difference in quoted prices for most of them...

I'm not that surprised by it but sort of am.

Seems to be the norm unfortunately.

Even among people in the car community. Go to a show and most cars will be on ditchfinders.

I have a friend with an NSX on Acceleras.

Someone on the Celica owners club spent thousands on coilovers, bracing, polybushing, arbs, and alignment, and then fitted Nankang NS20s...

I said it would be slower down a B road than a stock one with decent tyres, and he got annoyed. :p

What these people also don't realise is how much of a false economy buying cheap tyres can be... Not only is it less safe, but you also might end up with increased fuel consumption and road noise, and in some cases they will wear out in half the time of a tyre that costs 50% more...

Last edited:
Soldato
:D I might write my own values in.

I contacted Michelin just out of interest and they want to look into it. I need to remember to send them the DOT number though :o.

I’ll check my CrossClimate 2s when I get home this afternoon for you.

Are all 4 tyres the same with no info? What size are yours? Mine are 215/55/17 XL V iirc.

Soldato
Hey,
What's a decent tyre for 225/35/19 for the rear of my 440i?

Doesn't need to be anything amazing.

Tempted by the rainsports, won't be putting any on till Sept.

Soldato
Lucked out on the new car. It's fitted with 225/40/18 aka the unicorn size for cheap tyres.

A set of PS5 for £440 vs £600 on 215/40/18
I didn't realise this was a thing, hence my surprise at how relatively expensive tyres for my wife's Polo compared to my company motor which has 225/40/18's fitted.

Mine are the same.

Forgive the state, just got back from a long holiday with a lot of driving.

M56meMH.jpg

How weird... well, less weird that I know it isn't just ours! Thanks for checking.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hey,
What's a decent tyre for 225/35/19 for the rear of my 440i?

Doesn't need to be anything amazing.

Tempted by the rainsports, won't be putting any on till Sept.

You need to check the size again as I think it should be 255/35/19.

You've got a rear wheel drive car which I understand now has almost 400bhp. I think it does need to be something good, you clearly care about the performance of your car otherwise you'd not have bothered paying so much for those upgrades. So why then compromise on the area that will make the biggest difference to the handling of the car?

It's not even that much more expensive for decent tyres against something like the Rain Sports.

For example, for 255/35/19:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S: £165
Continental Sport Contact 7: £148
Rain Sport 5: £113

£35 a tyre really doesn't seem like it's worth the saving on a car like yours.

You will want to match the front tyres too, but this would apply to any tyre you'd select. What does it currently have?

Back
Top Bottom