**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
It's not heavy enough to make 360bhp not offer considerable performance. I'm not even sure how relevant the power is anyway, I wouldn't fit mid range tyres to our Mini either and that's only got 140bhp. Tyres really make such a difference to a car.

If I could only have good tyres or a remap I'd pick the tyres for sure.

We're quite fortunate (I have the same size tyres as you) that our size isn't particularly expensive for quality tyres against some other performance tyre sizes.

I agree with your point however Diagro clearly does care about performance but doesn't quite see that tyres are a performance modification also.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its 360bhp in a heavy F36 car, not exactly an m4, m3, m5 car pushing 500bhp through the rear wheels.
You've already said that it's a bit lovely regarding traction. It's not like you can't afford it, so why skimp?

In fairness the PS5 is probably good enough but if there are better suited tyres for your car, they seem like a no brainer?

Last edited:
Soldato
PS5 if you want a better blend of comfort and good performance. 4S if the balance is in favour of more performance.

I'd go the the PS5 as the they grip plenty and I like my comfort.

Oh... And the new sidewall is infinitely cooler.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not heavy enough to make 360bhp not offer considerable performance. I'm not even sure how relevant the power is anyway, I wouldn't fit mid range tyres to our Mini either and that's only got 140bhp. Tyres really make such a difference to a car.

If I could only have good tyres or a remap I'd pick the tyres for sure.

We're quite fortunate (I have the same size tyres as you) that our size isn't particularly expensive for quality tyres against some other performance tyre sizes.
But fox,
I'm not talking about fitting mid range tyres.

I'm talking about Pilot sport 5, conti sport 7... tyres such as those... all touted as super high performance tyres..

Not like I'm saying I'll put Powertrack super pro tyres on...

Soldato
PS5 if you want a better blend of comfort and good performance. 4S if the balance is in favour of more performance.

I'd go the the PS5 as the they grip plenty and I like my comfort.

Oh... And the new sidewall is infinitely cooler.
The PS5 do look nice. Had some on my old MPS.

Caporegime
Even I run Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6s now, and I'm me! :p

My car "only" has... 280 - 290HP I think?

(But then again, my other car has Kumho Ecsta HS51s... But thats because its tough to get tyres in that size anymore... :o)

I'm all for getting mid range tyres. But when someone can clearly afford premium tyres AND they have a performance oriented car, I don't get it personally. (not a dig at you, just a general comment!)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking at getting some tyres for my 2017 M240i. Currently has Michelin PSS. Looking to replace with PS5 or PS4S. I'm leaning more towards the PS5 as I don't track my car, don't drive it like a loon, and I expect the PS5 will behave better in colder snaps than the PS4S. I also value my comfort.

Is my thinking sound?

Man of Honour
But fox,
I'm not talking about fitting mid range tyres.

I'm talking about Pilot sport 5, conti sport 7... tyres such as those... all touted as super high performance tyres..

Not like I'm saying I'll put Powertrack super pro tyres on...

Fair enough - I thought we were still talking about the Rain Sport :D

Soldato
I'm looking at getting some tyres for my 2017 M240i. Currently has Michelin PSS. Looking to replace with PS5 or PS4S. I'm leaning more towards the PS5 as I don't track my car, don't drive it like a loon, and I expect the PS5 will behave better in colder snaps than the PS4S. I also value my comfort.

Is my thinking sound?
If you have 18's you also can't actually get PS4S in the correct size in the UK, so would have to go for PS4 or PS5. I'm planning on going to PS5 on my m140i when my PSS finally need changing

Soldato
If you have 18's you also can't actually get PS4S in the correct size in the UK, so would have to go for PS4 or PS5. I'm planning on going to PS5 on my m140i when my PSS finally need changing
You think the GY Assy 6 or Conti 7 are good alternatives, or will you be sticking with PS5?

Caporegime
The Pirelli Scorpions are somewhat known for doing that even well before this point.

I think they will be fine personally. But thats just me. I know some will say to replace them.

Soldato
How often are Protyre and Blackcircles sales? Both have flash sales off until end of tomorrow - 20% (though it's not working for me) and 15% respectively - but I still have another 1000 miles / 6 weeks at least in my tyres until they reach around 2-3mm. And the Michelin offer of £20 cashback which also expires tomorrow.

2x PSS would come down from £270 fitted to around £220-230, and maybe cashback on top.

Have tyre prices been going up with inflation?

I just looked now for 2x PSS, and the base prices appear to be £142-145 a corner, so up to £10 up a corner. Feels like I should just have replaced them back 5 weeks ago.

Associate
I'm fitting 4x PS5's to my Exige 350 Sport tomorrow.

Currently on Cup 2's but they're a bit... dangerous.. in the wet with standing water around.

Unfortunately unable to get PS4S due to staggered wheel sizes (front 215/45/17 and rear 265/35/18)

Paid £576 delivered. £60 cashback from Michelin on the way so £516 overall. Not bad at all.

Soldato
Reading through the thread thought I'd just price up replacement tyres, although probably not due till next year as currently have around 3.8mm all round.

2 1/2 years ago a set of MP4S fitted cost me £540, albeit with an £80 discount code.
Roll on to today, same tyres, same supplier... £940 :eek:

Soldato
Having a serious bout of indecision for new tyres for the Model 3 (Long Range).

Choices are basically Pilot Sport 4 Silent (whats on it already)
Pilot Sport 5

Or....go for all seasons and something like Hankook Kinergy 4S 2which seemed to top at least one all season tyre comparision review I found.

Any thoughts?

Caporegime
I have a slow puncture on one of the MPS5 tyres I got in February and it's getting looked at tomorrow. Given the age of the tyre and just over 2,000 miles ago, if the tyre needs replaced would you just buy a single tyre or replace both? It's a 428i Gran Coupe on 255/40/R18.

Back
Top Bottom