**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Caporegime
Did you get to the bottom of your leak?
Not yet. Going to see if mechanic can have a look again as I have a 350 mile drive on Friday and the same back on Saturday night or Sunday depending on something outside my control.

He said he looked at the 'offside rear' which to me is drivers side rear when it's the passenger side so shouldn't thst be 'nearside rear' as in nearest the kerb?

OK, booked for Thursday to get tyre looked at and an oil change as its been 12 months even though the OBC says another 4 months or 4000 miles.

Last edited:
Soldato
New tyres fitted today via TyresOnTheDrive. Excellent service, was a National mobile fitter that turned up. My old pilot sport 4's had some cracking, hopefully the pilot sport 5's last a bit longer.
Anyway stupid question time, as is the case most of the time tyre fitters never exactly get the pressures spot on. Is it best to let them settle for a while until I set the tyre pressure to what it should be?, If anything I need to release some air.

Soldato
Not yet. Going to see if mechanic can have a look again as I have a 350 mile drive on Friday and the same back on Saturday night or Sunday depending on something outside my control.

He said he looked at the 'offside rear' which to me is drivers side rear when it's the passenger side so shouldn't thst be 'nearside rear' as in nearest the kerb?

OK, booked for Thursday to get tyre looked at and an oil change as its been 12 months even though the OBC says another 4 months or 4000 miles.

Yes offside is drivers side. Keep us updated.

New tyres fitted today via TyresOnTheDrive. Excellent service, was a National mobile fitter that turned up. My old pilot sport 4's had some cracking, hopefully the pilot sport 5's last a bit longer.
Anyway stupid question time, as is the case most of the time tyre fitters never exactly get the pressures spot on. Is it best to let them settle for a while until I set the tyre pressure to what it should be?, If anything I need to release some air.

You can set pressures straight away when tyres are cold. A few psi above isn't going to be terrible but set it correctly at the earliest convenience.

Caporegime
And you'll probably find they rise a little bit while driving as the tyres warm up a little and they get some heat from the brakes. Usually they say set them correctly when cold as them going up a little isn't a big deal.

Soldato
I delayed on the PS4S's because I was deciding whether to get them before or after my Nurburgring road trip. Decided to go before, but have now missed the Kwikfit 15% code, booo

However, been reading some reviews as someone mentioned to go for the CS7's over the PS4S's, and actually, the reviews seem to back that up. Evo loved them as do a lot of other tyre review places. £250 a set cheaper as well, anyone else tried them?

Yup the CSC7's are amazing!!

305s.jpg

P-20230323-155416.jpg

20230326-123511.jpg

20230326-123651.jpg

Soldato
Been running PS4Ss religiously for 4/5 years but now I’m downsizing to 18s and it seems like ballache to get them in that size.

What do I go for instead, PS5, CSC7 or F1 Supersport? I have a MK6 GTI with a decent amount of torque so tread wear is kind of important but not more than steering feel/fun.

Caporegime
Been running PS4Ss religiously for 4/5 years but now I’m downsizing to 18s and it seems like ballache to get them in that size.

What do I go for instead, PS5, CSC7 or F1 Supersport? I have a MK6 GTI with a decent amount of torque so tread wear is kind of important but not more than steering feel/fun.
CSC7's are very well regarded. I have no complaints about my PS5's either The F1 Super sports are likely from a few years ago?

Soldato
CSC7's are very well regarded. I have no complaints about my PS5's either The F1 Super sports are likely from a few years ago?

I was confusing the Asymmetric 6 with the F1 SS for some reason. They're all pretty similar so I'm probably going PS5 because of the side wall. :o

Associate
I don't know if I've done the right thing by going for a 205/55 R16 on a Mazda NC. I was recommended to get the MPS4's but they didn't come in 205/50 R16. So I went with 55's. You don't feel the bumps so much.. but I'm mindful about slightly slower acceleration speed and also slightly higher fuel consumption.

RUrNhg5.jpg

Soldato
You would have been better going to a 215/50/R16 but they don't do that sizing. That would have kept you closer to standard values. So that is a shame. I guess going to 205/55/R16 is the only option if you were set on Pilot Sport 4 tyres. Just be mindful you'll be travelling about 1-2mph quicker over what the speedo reads.

Associate
You would have been better going to a 215/50/R16 but they don't do that sizing. That would have kept you closer to standard values. So that is a shame. I guess going to 205/55/R16 is the only option if you were set on Pilot Sport 4 tyres. Just be mindful you'll be travelling about 1-2mph quicker over what the speedo reads.
Ok. So acceleration is slower but the speedo shows +1 or 2 mph more?

The feeling I was getting from the MX5 forums was that the MPS4's were highly recommended so I was kind of drawn towards it I guess.. but yeah.. I don't know if 205/55 aren't really intended for the vehicle. It looks slightly more muscle car now than sports car with that low profile tyre look. Not that's a bad thing. I have to say that having a cushier tyre takes the rawness away when driving. Less feeling of the road underneath you.

Last edited:
Associate
Sadly this happens on a lot of tyres these days - I have 2 lots of Bridgestones which have done the same - most recent ones 2019 manufacture.
I have 2 Bridgestone from 2019 also both done the same cracking thing and came up in mot. Barely used the car too during covid.

Someone mentioned Michelin cracking so maybe gonna avoid them too.

Got Goodyear F1s from 2018 which are fine though.

Soldato
I've decided I can no longer tolerate these run flat tyres that came with the car. They're Pirelli All Seasons SF2. Far too hard and clunky, tried all sorts of tyre pressures and got all 4 wheels rebalanced. Just feels like it amplifies all the bumps and low and high speed. They're like new so I'll stick them for sale.

I'll be going PS5 and going a size up from 225 40 18 to 235s.

uc

Last edited:
Associate
When you say standard values. Do you mean the mph offset slightly out of sync.? Everyone I spoke to rated the MPS4's higher than anything else.. I'm sure it will be fine, right?.

Man of Honour
I'll be going PS5 and going a size up from 225 40 18 to 235s.

I think I'd rather just change the wheels - there is a 17 inch wheel in almost exactly the same style available which has a slightly better sidewall height which should give better ride quality. We have them on our Cooper (As well a set of 16 inch wheels, on which I think the ride and handling balance is perfect, but there is no doubt it looks worse on these).

I'm not sure why everyone on here is suddenly in such a rush to run non standard tyre sizes. There's usually a reason the manufacturer has selected the size the car has...

Back
Top Bottom