**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
I think I'd rather just change the wheels - there is a 17 inch wheel in almost exactly the same style available which has a slightly better sidewall height which should give better ride quality. We have them on our Cooper (As well a set of 16 inch wheels, on which I think the ride and handling balance is perfect, but there is no doubt it looks worse on these).

I'm not sure why everyone on here is suddenly in such a rush to run non standard tyre sizes. There's usually a reason the manufacturer has selected the size the car has...

The 17" wheels are from an F55/F56?
If so are less wide than F54 fitment 7J vs 7.5J... ... Not factory spec for an F54.

If they are the F55 one's I'm thinking of they look different enough for me not to like them. And 17 in that design look a little lost in the arches.

I've run 215 instead on 205 on my F56 for 3 years without issue. It made for a better ride and looked better in the arches vs 205 which looked to narrow and was too narrow for the power of the JCW.

Plus I I like the look of my current wheels. Ditching Runflats will hopefully be enough, and going up a size the icing.

Runflats inherently gives a harsher ride as everyone and their dog already knows. And the saying that manufacturer always know best is not one I stand by.

Last edited:
Soldato
When you say standard values. Do you mean the mph offset slightly out of sync.? Everyone I spoke to rated the MPS4's higher than anything else.. I'm sure it will be fine, right?.
You'll be totally fine yeah. Yes I was just refering that the change to the tyre size means things like the diameter, side wall, etc all change. And that to stay close to stock, a 215/50/R16 size would have been favourable (which they don't appear to do). But nothing wrong with going 205/55/R16. :)

Associate
You'll be totally fine yeah. Yes I was just refering that the change to the tyre size means things like the diameter, side wall, etc all change. And that to stay close to stock, a 215/50/R16 size would have been favourable (which they don't appear to do). But nothing wrong with going 205/55/R16. :)
Cool. Thanks. :)

Caporegime
I'll be going PS5 and going a size up from 225 40 18 to 235s.

Is it really going to make enough difference to be worth bothering moving from 225 to 235?

I understand people moving from say 225/35R19 to 235/35R19 because the 235 is a much cheaper and more common size too but 225/40R18 is about as cheap as 18" tyres get usually isn't it?

A quick look suggests you'll be paying about £30 per tyre extra to change to 235.

Soldato
Is it really going to make enough difference to be worth bothering moving from 225 to 235?

I understand people moving from say 225/35R19 to 235/35R19 because the 235 is a much cheaper and more common size too but 225/40R18 is about as cheap as 18" tyres get usually isn't it?

A quick look suggests you'll be paying about £30 per tyre extra to change to 235.

I don't get your angle. I'm doing it for the extra comfort, not to save money?

Caporegime
I don't get your angle. I'm doing it for the extra comfort, not to save money?
That £30 extra per tyre is a pointless waste of money for 4mm of sidewall I doubt you'd even notice if you drove both tyres back to back without being told which was which.

Soldato
That £30 extra per tyre is a pointless waste of money for 4mm of sidewall I doubt you'd even notice if you drove both tyres back to back without being told which was which.

It's about an 10% increase and any improvement is a welcome one. And a 225 tyre on an 8J rim is already stretched, and taking away from the tyres NVH capabilities.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I'm overcompensating with the tyre but it's a tyre that'll be on the car for 3 years so a few extra quid is not something I'll lose sleep over.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you sure?

40% of 225 = 90mm
40% of 235 = 94mm

Where is the 10-15% increase?
uc

I eye balled it from this picture where it looked like an inch of sidewall. Does it look like 90mm?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes?

The 40 in the tyre size means the sidewall is 40% of the width of the tyre. So by increasing the width of the tyre by 10mm, you are increasing the height of the sidewall by 40% of that - so 4mm.

I would be amazed if you notice any ride quality difference with a change that small. Any difference you do notice is far more likely to be as a result of changing to a different tyre, rather than the size change.

Associate
Need a new set of rears for the Mustang, was just going to get the PS4's fitted again but the Eagle F1 6 and supersport have caught my eye. Significantly cheaper but appears to have near enough the same performance if not slightly better is some aspects. Orrrr CSC7. Already have some fairly new PS4's on the front. Hmmmm, decisions.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yes they are a very good tyre. Only complaint would be that the starting tread depth is a little less than most and they are quite soft so wear quick if you push on, I know someone who only gets about 8k out of his fronts! If that's ok with you then you'll love them.

Underboss
Yes they are a very good tyre. Only complaint would be that the starting tread depth is a little less than most and they are quite soft so wear quick if you push on, I know someone who only gets about 8k out of his fronts! If that's ok with you then you'll love them.

that's the thing
8K !
my all season Michelins have done double that

Back
Top Bottom