**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Any recommendations for set of summer tyres for Saab 9-3 Turbo, 215/45/17 (current tyres are 91w). I'm looking at a comprise between good grip and decent noise level.

My budget per tyre is around: £90

OcUK Staff
[TW]Fox;27417311 said:
Wow I once paid 400 quid for two of those in that size and that was the best price I could find!!!

Why I ordered, was to good to refuse mate!

Be interesting to see how they feel as I could have got the Michelin PS2's at £440 for four as well, which I know are a great tyre for feel and dry grip, but decided to give the Goodyears a shot. Hard not to at that price! :)

Associate
215/40R18 85Y
120D M Sport

Need 2 new fronts - got a quote from BMW last night for ~£212 per Bridgestone Potenza. Looking online I can get them cheaper alone (kinda saw that coming anyway) but not fitted (cheapest found was at mytyres.co.uk £146.40 each) or can get them fitted at Halfords for £165.56.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with Halfords autocentres, and know if they do full balancing and whatnot? My MOT is next Tuesday and I'm not sure it'll scrape through with my tyres at the moment, pretty much want them done for my own peace of mind, as well as getting them done as cheap as possible (who wouldn't?)

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Really liking the Supersports on the back, even in this weather when initial traction taking off from standstill or even shifting gears from 2nd to 3rd etc, the moment dsc restores grip, the grip is pretty insane.

Soldato
215/40R18 85Y
120D M Sport

Need 2 new fronts - got a quote from BMW last night for ~£212 per Bridgestone Potenza. Looking online I can get them cheaper alone (kinda saw that coming anyway) but not fitted (cheapest found was at mytyres.co.uk £146.40 each) or can get them fitted at Halfords for £165.56.

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with Halfords autocentres, and know if they do full balancing and whatnot? My MOT is next Tuesday and I'm not sure it'll scrape through with my tyres at the moment, pretty much want them done for my own peace of mind, as well as getting them done as cheap as possible (who wouldn't?)

Cheers.

An older tyre now, but F1 Autocentre would do you Bridgestone RE050A's for £130 a corner, fitted.
They have a few others in that size - but not many.

Associate
Alright cheers again.

Found some Dunlop SP Sport 01 ROF's for ~£165 each fitted, just down the road from me as well. On every search, those, the Bridgestones and Pirelli P Zero's were the only 3 that would come up, all 'high end' tyres. Would've liked the Pirelli's but just a bit too much (or not in stock), apart from on one dodgy site, really not worth the risk though.

Soldato
Had the F1's fitted today - as above, all 4 for £395.
Cannot give any kind of review at this stage. These replaced the "on the limit" front and "just a little better" on the rear Conti SC5's.

I'll review as/when I do/Don't fall off the road into a ditch.

I just had a look at F1 Autocentres too for F1AS3s.. £50 than anyone else and includes fitting! Shame I don't need new tyres just yet..

Soldato
My A3 got a screw through the tyre today, as it's a motability car I got a Pirelli Cinturato P7 (AO) put on free, however every other tyre is a Continental ContiSportContact 5 (AO), is it worth buying another ContiSportContact 5 myself and getting it fit or should I not bother? All the other 3 tyres haven't even done 4000 miles yet.

Not sure if I'm just being stupid, I'd rather have matching tyres though.

Soldato
My A3 got a screw through the tyre today, as it's a motability car I got a Pirelli Cinturato P7 (AO) put on free, however every other tyre is a Continental ContiSportContact 5 (AO), is it worth buying another ContiSportContact 5 myself and getting it fit or should I not bother? All the other 3 tyres haven't even done 4000 miles yet.

You aren't being stupid, they should be at least matched across the axle. Funny policy putting unequal tyres on a motability car...

Soldato
You aren't being stupid, they should be at least matched across the axle. Funny policy putting unequal tyres on a motability car...

They have a list of three tyres they will allow the garage to put on, the factory fit tyres aren't on there.

EDIT: Where would be a good option to order one from?

I can always store the Pirelli until one of the other tyres is done and get them both fit on the same axle.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just had a look at F1 Autocentres too for F1AS3s.. £50 than anyone else and includes fitting! Shame I don't need new tyres just yet..

I got my Goodyear F1's from them - paid £103 a corner fitted which whilst wasn't the cheapest place for the tyre, as I don't have a tame fitter was certainly the cheapest "all in" price.
Just buy online, you can always find a 10% voucher somewhere and then choose the closest of their branches to have them fitted.

My SC5's from them a couple of years ago were equally well priced.

Associate

Accidentally drive over a screw with the other side, get another matching Pirelli!

Back
Top Bottom