Unreal Tournament news on the horizon!

Underboss
Loving deck16 instagib in this. Still a WIP map but layout is exactly how it was before and the gameplay remains the same. It even has the same music i think... Just ising the UE 4 engine.

ID should have done the same with Doom 4 but then it probably wouldnt run on consoles that are 3 years old. It would be like playing Doom 2 on a 486 like I did at a friends (as my parents couldnt afford one and his could)

there's an instagib mode ?? I didn't think they would have that yet

and what does the WIP thing on the maps mean?

Permabanned
What was your nickname in UT? I think |A|Eric posts on here, and XLV|Changling

I was the former, not the honourable Changling.

Just seeing them to clan tags reminds me of the XLVs hatred towards lAl. I don't blame XLVlSentient for the way he acted out to be honest. He had every right to be ****ed.

Then there was a 'best ctf defense' thread on Wireplay. lAlCareca jumps in with 'The 5 man XLV defense on November' :D

Soldato
there's an instagib mode ?? I didn't think they would have that yet

and what does the WIP thing on the maps mean?

Instagib didnt need any modifier adding or anything, it was just on when I jumped into Deck16

Yeh, as Kosmiche said:)

It is still lacking a bit of something that I can't put my finger on that UT99 had but its almost there. Maybe some of the sound effects or music, im not sure. Its still fantastic for what is called "Pre Alpha"

Associate
I was the former, not the honourable Changling.

Just seeing them to clan tags reminds me of the XLVs hatred towards lAl. I don't blame XLVlSentient for the way he acted out to be honest. He had every right to be ****ed.

Then there was a 'best ctf defense' thread on Wireplay. lAlCareca jumps in with 'The 5 man XLV defense on November' :D

Haha.. Careca was a great guy.. I nearly got him to join [MD] after he left |A| then I think he quit UT.... He was good mates with [MD]GSX which helped to.

the scene of UT in 2000-2002 was absolutely mental...highly competitive and nothing has come close to that... PC gaming for me died when UT took a huge nosedive after UT2003. Some people used to play that game for hours a day, and spend rest of the day on IRC talking about it!

Looking forward to the new UT as imo it's much better than UT99.... The community will never be the same though

Underboss
Instagib didnt need any modifier adding or anything, it was just on when I jumped into Deck16

Yeh, as Kosmiche said:)

It is still lacking a bit of something that I can't put my finger on that UT99 had but its almost there. Maybe some of the sound effects or music, im not sure. Its still fantastic for what is called "Pre Alpha"

must look tonight for instagib

Associate
What was your nickname in UT? I think |A|Eric posts on here, and XLV|Changling to I think, oh and Cool Hand Luke's from DOA and Ghost, as well as morba and rev billy g

I bumped into {G}Wnk a few times on public servres in the new UT alpha

Still here :D
Not tried the new UT for a while though. Must get it reinstalled again...

Permabanned
I reinstalled last night. I admit I was being a bully. This guy broke down the most :)

[chat] herra0: why you cheat in ut
[chat] herra0: **** you are sad
[chat] noobteamagain: who? :)D)
[chat] herra0: obv u
[chat] herra0: ******* sad ****
[chat] noobteamagain: lol
[chat] herra0: kill yourself
[chat] Acid: lol
[chat] herra0: hope you get cancer
[chat] Lowe: ..
[chat] herra0 has left the game
[chat] Acid: guys chill its just a game ;v
[chat] Lowe: chill down lol

It kinda makes me laugh but it does make me think how society has changed. In all the games I played of UT99 not once did I witness anybody saying anything like that to somebody, ever. Sure there was tonnes of people insulting each other, but never would you see stuff like that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
UT99 was my game of choice back in the day, was one of my most played if not the most played game for many many years and was the most played (by far) during all our LANS.

First impressions are OK, nice and fast paced, hope they remake Gothic, i'm a rubbish shot vs how i used to be.

Permabanned
aww diddums, poor baby :D

I'd prefer it if people left that cancer smack talk in LoL where it belongs :p

So maybe little over half a year since I last played and on the whole I'm really very impressed with how far its come. Staying true to its roots and personally for me it's improved on it quite a bit.

There's no permanent weapon spots any more but they do spawn relatively quickly. Also, now you carry about 1/3 less ammo. So instead of 50 shock cores its now 32. Minigun etc is now 200 not 300 if I remember correctly.

This means that games are far less spammy and you have to be much more conversvative with your ammo. So no more running around the your finger firmly placed on LMB hoping to hit something.

All weapon and PU spawn spots have a gauge indicating when it's next going to appear. It's not a countdown or anything but it does give you an decent estimation as to when it will next spawn (providing you are standing next to it as you cannot see it from afar). A welcome addition which will help counter those pesky timers.

Most of the sound effects and some of the music have just been ripped straight from the original - awesome.

Graphics on maps with lighting and full textures are stunning.

I couple of things I'm not big on but....Meh.

Splash damage has been nerfed. Direct hits with rockets do massive damage. I got hit in the head and it almost wiped me out with full armour. Shooting at the ground is still viable though.

Translocator is now made of lead :D No longer can you LMB/RMB and warp past everyone.

Games could be a tad longer (thank god at least it's not a stupid 30 frag limit :o)

More old school maps would be nice.

To sum up I think it's very, very good. Really surprised its free and not on some early access crap.

Permabanned
ATI 6850 :)

1980x1080 with everything maxed. Admittedly there's a little drop in FPS when you're in the thick of it, but given the age of my card and how stunning it looks I could never complain.

Soldato
Just had a go on Unreal Tournament 99 on Deck16. Still a great game and looks great in 1440p actually. It also plays at 1000fps with vsync forced off! The pistol was like a machine gun

It seams with the new ones they made all the weapons super weak. Unreal tournament 99 the rockets, pistol and flak cannon all seem more brutal and the flak cannon even fires faster. Its like they took some speed and strength out of the original. The sounds are also more 'chunky' in the original one. Still loads of people playing it too!

Back
Top Bottom