Upcoming Concerts

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Depeche Mode last at the NIA in Birmingham.

Just a joy.

Seriously I have said it time and time again, why this group is not utterly massive in the UK is a travesty.

Associate
Depeche Mode last at the NIA in Birmingham.

Just a joy.

Seriously I have said it time and time again, why this group is not utterly massive in the UK is a travesty.
I was there too - lower block 4! As amazing as ever and if nothing else, just getting to hear that stonking version of Everything Counts made a three-hour round trip from Cambridge worthwhile. I've been a DM nut since 1987 and have been to at least one gig every tour since 1988, so this was something of an anniversary for me ...

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Thing is very few bands (if any) that have been around for 30 years are...

Still current
Still produce belting records

Always been in the background of my musical life since i was a teen, its great to be middle aged :)

I wonder what current band will be doing the same in 30 years.... not many if any.

Associate
Absolutely - it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that DM have been the soundtrack to my life, or my life since my teens at least ...

That said, I do wish they were still three keyboards and vocals when performing live, as they were pre-Devotional - purely my preference and it's in no way a slight on Christian Eigner

Associate
Saw Deep Purple last weekend in Manchester, was impressed to see them still rocking out at their age, gave a great performance!

Off to see Royal Blood in Nottingham this weekend, will be sure to make sure I have no valuables on me judging by the recent new stories...

Soldato
Off to see Royal Blood in Nottingham this weekend, will be sure to make sure I have no valuables on me judging by the recent new stories...
lol yes; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-42043587

I saw them in Ally Pally last night. I just took £40 cash, one credit card and ID just in case. Wore my tightest jeans too :p

Great set, considering the generally terrible sound at AP they sounded brilliant. ATDI were very disappointing though. I think the crowd was too young for them and the sound was absolutely dreadful. All in all it's the second gig I've been to at AP and although RB smashed it it's just such a pain in the behind. I only live in west London and I didn't get home until gone 1am. Ridiculous place to have a gig.

Associate
Vuur @ The Cluny in Newcastle, early February 2018.

Anneke van Giersbergen's new "prog" band (she of Devin Townsend Project), album's excellent... really looking forward to the gig itself.

Ah, really great stuff, unfortunately I will miss their show in London (and also Mastodon the day after) as I'll be home in Sweden at that time. But I'm sure you'll have a great gig. On their show in London their support band (Scar Symmetry) is actually from my hometown in Sweden :D

Soldato
lol yes; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-42043587

I saw them in Ally Pally last night. I just took £40 cash, one credit card and ID just in case. Wore my tightest jeans too :p

Great set, considering the generally terrible sound at AP they sounded brilliant. ATDI were very disappointing though. I think the crowd was too young for them and the sound was absolutely dreadful. All in all it's the second gig I've been to at AP and although RB smashed it it's just such a pain in the behind. I only live in west London and I didn't get home until gone 1am. Ridiculous place to have a gig.

I saw Royal Blood at Ally Pally last Wednesday. First time I've visited Ally Pally. Generally I thought it was a pretty amazing venue, but I know what you mean about the sound. Was really impressed with the number of different food/drink on offer!

Fortunately, Royal Blood were amazing - However, I had been looking forward to seeing ATDI for a while, but the sound was seriously awful. I did wonder how they would sound live, and it was terrible.

Getting out at the end was a mission - My feet were killing me the next morning :p

Soldato
Yeah. I'll continue to listen to TMV and ATDI but I saw an email about ATDI headlining Brixton earlier and was just a bit like "meh". Shame, really. No excuse for a band of that quality to sound so rubbish.

Associate
Fortunately, Royal Blood were amazing - However, I had been looking forward to seeing ATDI for a while, but the sound was seriously awful. I did wonder how they would sound live, and it was terrible.

Getting out at the end was a mission - My feet were killing me the next morning :p

I thought the same when i saw them at Nottingham this weekend, ATDI sounded terrible. At first I thought it was the sound quality, but both Royal Blood and Black Honey sounded amazing.
I must say I hadn't really listened to them before so thought they were just some garbage warm-up act, but after listening to a few of their tracks on Youtube they aren't that bad. Maybe they are just terrible live?

Soldato
I thought the same when i saw them at Nottingham this weekend, ATDI sounded terrible. At first I thought it was the sound quality, but both Royal Blood and Black Honey sounded amazing.
I must say I hadn't really listened to them before so thought they were just some garbage warm-up act, but after listening to a few of their tracks on Youtube they aren't that bad. Maybe they are just terrible live?

I've seen them live on TV before and they just rip the **** out of the set and create noise :p I did wonder if they were going to be rubbish live for that reason, and I was disappointed that I was right :(

Soldato
In all honesty RB don't really deserve to have ATDI support them. ATDI are a far superior band. Check out Relationship of Command for them at their best. But yes, I guess they're just not that great live :(

EDIT: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/jjpn/
And what an album it was. What an album it continues to be, a decade on. Relationship of Command is, simply, a landmark release – not because it ripped up any rule books, or positioned post-hardcore as a vital commercial force. The band adhered to compositional traits long established, albeit shot through with remarkable ability, and Relationship of Command, for all its five-star reviews, only charted at 33 in the UK. It is remarkable because of what didn’t happen next. It should have been its makers’ Nevermind, introducing them to new audiences and wonderful opportunities. Instead, the band split just a few months after its release, playing their final show in February 2001.
Listen to The Mars Volta if you like the prog stylings of ATDI more than the straight-up rocky-ness. I saw them play live once, they came out and played for 2hr30 absolutely solidly, barely any gaps between songs. Mighty impressive. What a band.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My wife bought us tickets to see Iron Maiden (in Aberdeen this time) on their "Legacy of the Beast" tour on Aug 4th 2018!

Having been a fan for many years and seeing them earlier this year in Glasgow for the first time I was impressed, but disappointed as they didn't cover my favourite track "Afraid to shoot Strangers".

With this being their history / hits tour I'm really looking forward to this one :)

Soldato
I was going to start a thread about live events but I guess my Q fits well here. I live in the sticks where the best live event is either a parody or revival act on its last legs..

What's the best way of keeping an eye on upcoming live performances in the north west and possibly north east? Are there any particular go-to ticket sites or is it best to go through an artist's own website? Is there anything to look for or avoid with regards to venues?

Associate
I'm tempted by Maiden tickets for the August shows in London, make a weekend of it down there.

Anyone used those Amazon lounges? seems fairly pricey but it's probably the only time I'll get to see Maiden so a bit of comfort might be worth it

Back
Top Bottom