US ELECTION RESULTS THREAD...

Soldato
loving all the general rubbish happening as a result of this, stock markets being boosted, world leaders speaking out how its great he won..

Even though all this would have happened if the other 1 had won......

Baz

Baz

Soldato
At least their politicians appaer to be human, have a sense of humour and don't attack each other to gain cheap points...

what do we have, Mr charismatic McBroon himself, and someone who clearly dies their eyebrows..

anyway, congrats to Obama, best man for the job :)

Soldato
Going from that the black people are the racist ones :S

Looking at that graph I'd say it's not white america that's the racist group at all...

OR because his policies were attractive to those segments of the US society...
The first two comments are correct. In 20 years of voting I have rarely seen a black person at the polls during a presidential election until this year, including when I was in the military. That's pretty sad considering where I live.

Makunouchi, I would be willing to bet that less than 1% of the voters are even aware of what his policies are. Where's the poll to show that data?

Soldato
I would have voted for Obama, but looking at this graph it's clear some ethnic groups only chose him because of his colour! You can hardly call white america racist as it was almost 50-50:

_45174960_race.gif

Looking at that graph I'd say it's not white america that's the racist group at all...

Full link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/us_elections_2008/7709852.stm

That is shocking.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well why do you think Black people failed to vote in previous elections? to them a White person in power didn't care enough to do something about the state of the nation. I admit Black people could have stood up and protested for change but what's the point when they'd just get riot policed (since they're often more aggressive when expressing emotion publically).

Obama solves this, they will listen to him and be a part of America, not just a sideline.

They never had any reason to vote before because the then campaigns never appealed to them or reached out to unite race like Obama’s campaigning has done.

Black people who just CBA with politics before will actually be bothered by it now and I’m quite certain that they’ll follow Obama’s request when he asked everyone as a whole to help improve their nation instead of being divided as they used to be.

Associate
I'm happy for him because I genuinely believe he was the better, smarter man.

But what I can't stand right now is what I knew would happen if he was elected. Everybody, and the media especially, is turning this into a race victory. It's not that he was the better candidate anymore, it's that he is black and is on a path to correcting the perception of injustices towards this portion of the population in the US.

If anything, his election should've shut them all up about their racism, lack of opportunities, prejudicism and all the other excuses they use to justify why their demographic is seen is such a negative light but it's rallied them instead. I fear this is going to be the beginning of a very long "in your face" victory dance by the black community.

Man of Honour
I'm happy for him because I genuinely believe he was the better, smarter man.

But what I can't stand right now is what I knew would happen if he was elected. Everybody, and the media especially, is turning this into a race victory. It's not that he was the better candidate anymore, it's that he is black and is on a path to correcting the perception of injustices towards this portion of the population in the US.

If anything, his election should've shut them all up about their racism, lack of opportunities, prejudicism and all the other excuses they use to justify why their demographic is seen is such a negative light but it's rallied them instead. I fear this is going to be the beginning of a very long "in your face" victory dance by the black community.

An interesting point but on the other hand is it not the utter disbelief of many who though a black President was inconceivable, bearing in mind that it was less than 50 years ago where civil rights for black people were almost unheard of and racial segregation the norm ?

Associate
An interesting point but on the other hand is it not the utter disbelief of many who though a black President was inconceivable, bearing in mind that it was less than 50 years ago where civil rights for black people were almost unheard of and racial segregation the norm ?

inconceivable perhaps, but have a little grace I'd say and act accordingly. This shouldn't be a case of we have the first "black" president in our history. They want people to forget about the colour of a person's skin and yet they use every opportunity they can to highlight the fact that he's different and he's in the driving seat now. It makes me sick

Man of Honour
inconceivable perhaps, but have a little grace I'd say and act accordingly. This shouldn't be a case of we have the first "black" president in our history. They want people to forget about the colour of a person's skin and yet they use every opportunity they can to highlight the fact that he's different and he's in the driving seat now. It makes me sick

Fair enough but his skin colour cannot be discarded given the checkered history of the United States with regards to race.

Soldato
I dunno,

The way I see it, Obama won because he's (as sansnom said) the better, smarter man. Also less hot-headed, younger, with less of a messy party behind him,

However! It simply cannot be ignored that he is indeed the first black (or part-black - i.e. not-white) President of the USA. It IS historical and it IS worth making a fuss about.

Not because it was so unlikely, or because he had to fight against tons of adversity (it appears not), but because it has never ever happened before. And it's a great big exciting indicator of how far we have come.

Soldato
Well why do you think Black people failed to vote in previous elections? to them a White person in power didn't care enough to do something about the state of the nation.
Key words there: "to them". Obviously they're oblivious to the fact that slavery was abolished in 1865 by white people, or were permitted to vote -- also by white people -- in 1870 (50 years before even women were allowed).
I admit Black people could have stood up and protested for change but what's the point when they'd just get riot policed (since they're often more aggressive when expressing emotion publically).
You've been watching too much youtube. :p What more change (as a race) could they possibly need? They have the exact same rights as every other American, they just don't take advantage of them.
Obama solves this, they will listen to him and be a part of America, not just a sideline.
No, they will always be their own community, just as they've always been. I can't imagine anything Obama could possibly do to make them change their ways. They didn't listen to MLK 45 years ago when it really counted, they certainly won't listen to someone now.
They never had any reason to vote before because the then campaigns never appealed to them or reached out to unite race like Obama’s campaigning has done.
Again, I'm curious how having a black... excuse me... African-American President will help to unite race. It's up to individuals, not the entire community, to make that step.
Black people who just CBA with politics before will actually be bothered by it now and I’m quite certain that they’ll follow Obama’s request when he asked everyone as a whole to help improve their nation instead of being divided as they used to be.
History has proven this to be incorrect. Time will only tell here, but I don't expect it to be any different.

Back
Top Bottom