Soldato
I don't pay much attention to what happens off the court, tbh, as far as media and what have you go.

For me, it's all about what happens next for her on the court - hopefully she remains focused on her tennis and leaves the media to whip itself into a frenzy.

Soldato
Yeah I'd have liked to see Djok get the calendar slam.
I was looking through his stats and interestingly for someone with so much achievement and basically regarded as the greatest of all time, he never got a calendar or non calendar grand slam, 'just' a double career slam. Looks like he came close to a non calendar slam as he's won 3 out of 4 of the majors in consecutive years. And he never got olympic gold which you'd think would have been a given.

Caporegime
Finally got around to watching the women's final last night and thought they both played very well. Fernandez was a lot more aggressive than I thought she would be but Raducanu was just a machine. Her technique for someone so young is frighteningly good and it's hard to see how she can improve other than physically. Thought she sounded almost robotic in her post match interview too, so calm, collected and confident, almost like she knew Fernandez stood no chance. Not what you would expect from a teenager having won their first title.

Hopefully she goes from strength to strength rather than getting knocked up by a footballer in her 20s and in the gutter by her 30s.

Caporegime
Finally got around to watching the women's final last night and thought they both played very well. Fernandez was a lot more aggressive than I thought she would be but Raducanu was just a machine. Her technique for someone so young is frighteningly good and it's hard to see how she can improve other than physically. Thought she sounded almost robotic in her post match interview too, so calm, collected and confident, almost like she knew Fernandez stood no chance. Not what you would expect from a teenager having won their first title.

Hopefully, she goes from strength to strength rather than getting knocked up by a footballer in her 20s and in the gutter by her 30s.

Yeah, her press interviews are very controlled and almost like a script, I guess it comes down to good coaching and I believe she is also very smart (A* at A-Level Maths and an A in Economics) so hopefully she will be fine.

Caporegime
Forgot to add, I'm yet to read what McEnroe has said about Raducanu's win and Djokovic's loss. He was more than happy to jump on Raducanu immediately after her loss at Wimbledon and seemed to suggest the female players weren't, and would never be, as mentally strong as the men.

Soldato

Hopefully she goes from strength to strength rather than getting knocked up by a footballer in her 20s and in the gutter by her 30s.

To be fair to Fernandez I think the MTO came at exactly the wrong moment for her.

The momentum had swung in her favour as she started to relax and enjoy herself. She clawed herself back to a break point that would have put it back on serve, but then the injury happened.

Just an unfortunate situation, but I can't help but think of what might have been.

Looking forward to the next time they play each other.

Permabanned
Congrats to Medvedev, well deserved.

Absolutely disgusting, booing when Medvedev was serving for the match.

Political hate against the Russians.

But it's not to say that Medvedev is very pleasant person, either. He is just weird. His movements on the court :eek:

Djokovic stopped playing or chasing the ball in several instances, I am afarid he gifted the trophey for very weird reason.

It just doesn't make sense to beat an opponent several months earlier without dropping a set, and now all of sudden he couldn't win a normal game.

What an embarrassment for Nole. Absolute stupidity!

Soldato

Iirc, the beef between him and the US Open crowd started in 2019 when Medvedev snatched a towel out of a ballboy's hands.

The crowd saw it and started booing him for it, with Medvedev responding by showing the middle finger, which the crowd saw on the big screen!

Nothing to do with any political hate BS, imo.

ETA:

C4tG92X.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Can be, I feel also that Djokovic has very low motivation to play in the US, too. Last year serves as the prime example.

The whole world was watching him to write the history of tennis and what he did - absolute disgrace! What a shame!

Soldato

But it's not to say that Medvedev is very pleasant person, either. He is just weird. His movements on the court :eek:

Djokovic stopped playing or chasing the ball in several instances, I am afarid he gifted the trophey for very weird reason.

It just doesn't make sense to beat an opponent several months earlier without dropping a set, and now all of sudden he couldn't win a normal game.

What an embarrassment for Nole. Absolute stupidity!

Medv didn’t turn up in the AO final and got battered but he certainly did last night! He won it by outplaying Novax. Final would have been over quicker if he didn’t have to deal with the booing on his first championship point.

There’s also a whole host of factors, different surfaces, temperatures etc that play into it. He’s 9-0 at AO but 3-6 at US. Medv only got into week 2 this year at the AO whereas he’s gone F > SF > Winner in NY. Not simply a ‘normal game’.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah thanks, I stand corrected.

No problem, I remember it well because it was bookended between Wawrinka's amazing FO performance to beat him and then Murray's second Wimbledon title.

There’s also a whole host of factors, different surfaces, temperatures etc that play into it. He’s 9-0 at AO but 3-6 at US. Medv only got into week 2 this year at the AO whereas he’s gone F > SF > Winner in NY. Not simply a ‘normal game’.

Agreed, NY has a faster surface (particularly this year according to the pundits) and not one best suited to Novak's game as the stats show. Coupled with that he had overwhelming nerves, and the time he spent on court reaching the final must have contributed. He is ridiculously fit but at 34 he will feel it more than before.

Not to take anything away from Medvedev, he was outstanding, served like a monster and was mentally so strong. To save those 3 consecutive break points at the start of the second set highlighted that. I like the guy a lot, he really shows his personality unlike a lot of the other players.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom