Victorian renovation build log

Associate
Looks fantastic, well done so far.

Can't help but feel a bit sad, we're in the process of buying a Victorian house very similar looking to yours, also in need a serious modernisation but found out today via surveyor that it's got some Japanese Knotweed at the back of the garden and as much as we love it, may have to pull out - Nasty stuff! :(

Keep up the good work :D

Soldato
Looks fantastic, well done so far.

Can't help but feel a bit sad, we're in the process of buying a Victorian house very similar looking to yours, also in need a serious modernisation but found out today via surveyor that it's got some Japanese Knotweed at the back of the garden and as much as we love it, may have to pull out - Nasty stuff! :(

Keep up the good work :D

Jap knotweed can be a deal breaker. I heard some companies wont lend on a house that has it in the garden unless it has a management type plan for the stuff.

Associate
Jap knotweed can be a deal breaker. I heard some companies wont lend on a house that has it in the garden unless it has a management type plan for the stuff.

Sadly, this is one of them, our lender rejected our mortgage today after seeing the valuation. They want a JKW surveyor in before going any further.

Biggest issue is the JKW is on next doors fence and coming through. Makes things very difficult and I think we've been scared away from it. Real shame as we fell in love with it, it's perfect otherwise, about £1k in fee's down too.

Back to square one!

Associate
OP
another baby on the way so another bedroom needed!
This room was in a right state, water damage, blown plaster, missing fire place. The idea was to strip it to brick keeping the cornice and original architraves and experiment with thin internal insulation while trying to keep original features.
If successful I will continue this method through the other parts of the house to maintain originality while making it more comfortable and eco-friendly

Internal wall fell apart on stripping wallpaper, so is re-boarded with sound board and filled with acoustic insulation (keeping the original cornice)

A329A1ADB1344038BDFC.jpeg

External wall have been insulated with 15mm PIR backed board.
boards are vapour membrane backed and held on by a continuous bead on non-permerable adhesive foam with 1-3 mechanical fixings depending on size and what they may potentially be supporting.
I've had hygrometers buried in various places and not noticed any difference to ambient readings

40ADF08426D94B178A47.jpeg

staff bead at the top to accommodate the thicker walls into cornice, window frame was also spaced out 15mm.

16F217F3232440949E08.jpeg

This is the thickness of the boards, the difference is largest here due to the original door casing being sunk in the original plaster.

6BE75B9DF08E4A838813.jpeg

First impressions of the difference are pretty impressive - despite the cornice acting as a thermal bridge - the room gets nice and warm and stays warm.

original U-value for walls was 2.1 and is now 0.7 (from memory) which isn't bad for 15mm loss of floor space and some joinery touches.

Associate
OP
the little white door in the bedroom leads to a 2.3x2.4m square room, the 2nd storey to the downstairs outrigger.
Very cold room but with plumbing, nowhere to have a soil stack exit however, but no bother as there is a separate toilet room right next to this bedroom.
Anyway only one this to do - turn into into an en-suite - bathroom number 4

The furtherest external wall was stripped back to brick and the same 17.5mm insulated plasterboard, the other 2 external walls were studded and insulated with 50mm PIR.

E8649BD284D0439E975A.jpeg

shower area boarded with aqua board

E5C77E786C4E4B05B492.jpeg

ceiling too a fair bit of work to insulated around the window, the roof pitch actually finished on top of the window frame and there was no insulation at all, which explains why it was so cold!
Ignore all the different types of board, the offcuts all got used up!

6F2BEE4CD9914A309E7E.jpeg

Plan is to tile the bottom half in marble, with clay handmade encaustic tiles on the floor. Top half will be green with a brass pineapple chandelier :eek:

These are the tiles including a marble skirting board and dado rail

0C5A5D0DA0154B96884F.jpeg

Associate
OP
yeeeaaaa its a compromise of insulation/cold spot jiggery

I hope when its all painted dark green it will look ok, but we'll see

This weekend if tank the shower area and strip the woodchip ceiling :)mad::mad::mad:)

Associate
OP
Tiler booked in for a few weeks time, so while waiting and the weather is good I thought I would remove 5 old crappy 1970s radiators (much to the delight of an 8 month pregnant wife)

55bEE87705902DC42AAA9D3.jpeg

They are being replaced with 3 modern cast radiators and 2 huge 4 column Victorian radiators which I've get to build, both are 20+ sections!

95EA2D4757A44A09AB7C.jpeg

b5c289666A5887B4994B18B.jpeg

Associate
OP
next I'll replumb with nice new TRVs, paint behind them before permanently hanging them.

On the horizon is tiling the whole hall in nice hand made clay encaustic tiles

Soldato
Tiler booked in for a few weeks time, so while waiting and the weather is good I thought I would remove 5 old crappy 1970s radiators (much to the delight of an 8 month pregnant wife)

55bEE87705902DC42AAA9D3.jpeg

They are being replaced with 3 modern cast radiators and 2 huge 4 column Victorian radiators which I've get to build, both are 20+ sections!

95EA2D4757A44A09AB7C.jpeg

b5c289666A5887B4994B18B.jpeg
I'm loving your work but your pic links are broken.

Back
Top Bottom