Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Soldato
Hi Guys,

This is certainly great news, heard about it via the letter a while back like most people here.

They've added quite a bit more info to the site on the 14th of this month which includes a modem checker which finds out if you need a new modem. I currently have a Motorola SURFboard SB4100 which I've had for years now and they suggested I upgrade it. So I placed an order, it's free if you select to change it over yourself (they charge £25 labour if you don’t) and should take around 14 days to arrive, so maybe mine will be here next week.

Link is: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html

Rollout Plan: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html

Unfortunately the Bristol area where I am is still to be confirmed but here's hoping it will be done soon!

Hope this helps,

Soldato
james32 said:
nothing the matter with Motorola 4100 modem
it works fine with 20mb broadband

infact the specs of the modem does upto 36mb

Yeah I heard that, but then again I'm not going to turn down a free modem upgrade if they recommend it.

Soldato
On the morning of Wednesday the 23rd May between midnight and 6 am, Network improvements will result in a loss of service in Cosham, Leeds Seacroft, Great Yarmouth, York, Aylesbury, Harrogate, Bexley, Grimsby, Glengormley, Ely, Andover, Stevenage,

As I'm in Stevenage and on 10meg I would have thought this was the upgrade taking place as we are down for May?

I have turned my modem off for 30 seconds but config page still states

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Soldato
james32 said:
nothing the matter with Motorola 4100 modem
it works fine with 20mb broadband

infact the specs of the modem does upto 36mb

Wrong. It does 38mbps over its WAN interface and around 15 over its LAN interface. They aren't telling you to replace it for nothing. Also the upgrade is free anyway.

Associate
Hi,

A friend told me that where I live (Darlington) has gone to 20meg, although I haven't received any letters from Virgin yet about any speed increase. Out of interest I just tried the speedtest.net site that everyone seems to be using and tested on the London server. I initially got about 9000 kb/s Download and 450 kb/s upload. So this is basically the standard 10meg from what I can make out. My friend said to reboot my cable modem and after I did this i'm getting 9000 kb/s download and 730 kb/s upload. So the upload seems to have gone up, but the download is the same.

I have the SURFboard 4100 modem (had this years) connected to a Linksys WRT54G via ethernet. I'm trying to figure out if it's the old modem thats stopping me getting full download speeds, or is it the router ? someone earlier in the thread said something about some routers being limited to 10meg, is there an easy way to find out what speed my router supports ?

I suppose it could be that I just haven't been upgraded by Virgin yet, but it seems strange that the upload speed has gone up.

Associate
mark_t50 said:
Hi,

A friend told me that where I live (Darlington) has gone to 20meg, although I haven't received any letters from Virgin yet about any speed increase. Out of interest I just tried the speedtest.net site that everyone seems to be using and tested on the London server. I initially got about 9000 kb/s Download and 450 kb/s upload. So this is basically the standard 10meg from what I can make out. My friend said to reboot my cable modem and after I did this i'm getting 9000 kb/s download and 730 kb/s upload. So the upload seems to have gone up, but the download is the same.

I have the SURFboard 4100 modem (had this years) connected to a Linksys WRT54G via ethernet. I'm trying to figure out if it's the old modem thats stopping me getting full download speeds, or is it the router ? someone earlier in the thread said something about some routers being limited to 10meg, is there an easy way to find out what speed my router supports ?

I suppose it could be that I just haven't been upgraded by Virgin yet, but it seems strange that the upload speed has gone up.

First off... stop using Speedtest.net for a comparison.... use something internal like ftp.blueyonder.co.uk to download something demo/patch etc....

Next your modem is out of date, use this thread for VM questions http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17732728

or use this thread direct to get a new modem from Virgin Media free... http://allyours.virginmedia.com/cgi-bin/formactions/uplift_customer.pl

Your modem is the same as mine, says it can, but it doesnt actually cant give full speed.

regards

Vic

Associate
Vicar said:
First off... stop using Speedtest.net for a comparison.... use something internal like ftp.blueyonder.co.uk to download something demo/patch etc....
ok, I did also test by firing off some newsgroup downloads, HTTP downloads from Microsoft, and some FTP downloads/uploads from my own site. I certainly seem to be stuck with a 1.1 MBps max downloads speed both before and after rebooting my modem, the upload speed has definately gone up though.

Vicar said:
Next your modem is out of date, use this thread for VM questions http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17732728

or use this thread direct to get a new modem from Virgin Media free... http://allyours.virginmedia.com/cgi-bin/formactions/uplift_customer.pl

Your modem is the same as mine, says it can, but it doesnt actually cant give full speed.

regards

Vic
Thanks for the links :) there seems to be a little confussion regarding the SURFboard 4100 and what speeds it can do. Anyway I went to the Virgin Media link and they say it needs an upgrade so I have a shiney new modem on it way, hopefully I'll get the 20meg downloads with the new modem.

Thanks for the help.

Associate
mark_t50 said:
ok, I did also test by firing off some newsgroup downloads, HTTP downloads from Microsoft, and some FTP downloads/uploads from my own site. I certainly seem to be stuck with a 1.1 MBps max downloads speed both before and after rebooting my modem, the upload speed has definately gone up though.

Thanks for the links :) there seems to be a little confussion regarding the SURFboard 4100 and what speeds it can do. Anyway I went to the Virgin Media link and they say it needs an upgrade so I have a shiney new modem on it way, hopefully I'll get the 20meg downloads with the new modem.

Thanks for the help.

No worries dude, thats why these forums are here, so we can pass the good info on.... stick around, you will learn a lot.... :D

I've been here years, lol.... still learning... :p

Back
Top Bottom