Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Soldato
Vicar said:
Actually although the letter said May, I have been told twice by two different reps that they are starting in Aprils, to make the roll out reasonalby up to speed so that come May most people will see 20 meg.... I dunno if customer operations are just being told this in an effort to keep custom by dangling a carrot.
Aye I was told it was starting in our area on April first, like you said though it could be a carrot.

I hope it's not though. :D ;)

Soldato
For the people with slow connections - are you using routers? If so, it's worth checking if they can actually route data fast enough. My 10mbit connection was being completely choked by a 6 year old router.

Connect the PC directly to the CM and whooooooooooosh.

It's a problem that I'd imagine will become more prevalent with 20mbit.

Permabanned
Getting 10 meg speeds here and only on 4meg, trailing in the area, it normally cuts off (and down to 4 meg again) after about 1 gig download but its still going at 10 meg after 3 gig download.

Associate
I got a phone call today from virgin media saying as i was on 4meg download it would be going up to 10meg at no extra cost and next month it would go up to 20meg.
I then asked when i would get the 10meg and the guy said switch your modem off for about half an hour and you will be on 10meg.
I switched the modem off waited half an hour and i am now on 10meg.
I have been with telewest since they started in my area and could not wish for a better service.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Von Luck said:
For the people with slow connections - are you using routers? If so, it's worth checking if they can actually route data fast enough. My 10mbit connection was being completely choked by a 6 year old router.

Connect the PC directly to the CM and whooooooooooosh.

It's a problem that I'd imagine will become more prevalent with 20mbit.

Exactly what I was going to say. Ulfhedjinn, how are you connected also, wired or wireless? If wireless, that maybe your problem, dodgy connection. If wired or direct to the modem, ignore my post ;):)

Soldato
Mikol said:
Exactly what I was going to say. Ulfhedjinn, how are you connected also, wired or wireless? If wireless, that maybe your problem, dodgy connection. If wired or direct to the modem, ignore my post ;):)
I was connected by wired router to the modem. I made a thread about how much of a moron I am, because the router was too crap. :)

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Ulfhedjinn said:
I was connected by wired router to the modem. I made a thread about how much of a moron I am, because the router was too crap. :)

Ahhhhh, hence your post further up about the thread about moron something. Should have read it! Doh. :)

Soldato
106265243.png

Does that seem OK for a 4mb line?

Soldato
Johny Boy said:
You don't think virgin MEDIA might be used for on demand streaming TV and media?

Your 2 meg line isn't gonna cope, and if you are having sync issue on a faster line then get it syncd lower. ADSL2+ is more resiliant and allows grater speeds on poor lines then standard ADSL so it will be better if configured correctly.

Even if you have to sync at a slightly lower then normal rate for ADSL2+ this will still be faster then ADSL.
One of the lines I moved over to bethere went from 3Mb on Bulldog LLU ADSL with a low signal to noise ratio to over 13Mb with a much better noise ratio and no drops.

ADSL2+ also does not effect latency so no idea where you have this idea that high speed = high latency that is simply not true. If anything my ping times have continued to drop over the years.

[edit I know your talking about cable but....]
Take it easy attitude boy... I was just asking a question based on experience of people I know who have had the service...

Sheesh...

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks guys...

Based on your feedback here I've signed up to 10mb VM with a view to ditching my ADSL Max.

Can anyone suggest the best wireless router/soluton to use with VM/NTL?

ta

Soldato
Athanor said:
Can anyone suggest the best wireless router/soluton to use with VM/NTL?
Don't use a Belkin one, mine was choking me at 6Mbit. :(

I just got one of these though and it's really doing the business, handling well up to 20Mbit speeds (they're trialling it in my area.) I can't say I've ever used a better router in my life, easy setup too.

106301910.png

Soldato
Athanor said:
Cheers Ulf.... Quick question - does this replace the NTL cable modem or just do the wireless / switch bit
It doesn't replace the modem I'm afraid, only the switch/router.

The stock modem is quite good though if you get the Motorola Surfboard model.

Chaos said:
Im after a new wireless router to , can that linksys one do wpa2 with a firmware update ?
It does WPA and WPA2 as standard. :)

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
Don't use a Belkin one, mine was choking me at 6Mbit. :(

I just got one of these though and it's really doing the business, handling well up to 20Mbit speeds (they're trialling it in my area.) I can't say I've ever used a better router in my life, easy setup too.

On the off chance I'm NOT in your ignore list...what download speeds are you getting?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Ulfhedjinn said:

Indeed, the new ntl:250 modem is pretty good also. Good choice on router, I have an old wrt54GS. One running hyper WRT+ Thibor firmware, the other DD-WRT and both rock.

Soldato
OP
Ulfhedjinn said:

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom