Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Very sticky, but it depends on if they are doing any engineering work in your area that resets DHCP or resegmenting the area - rare but possible. IIRC, I've had my current IP for several years, but there's no guarantee it won't change at some point.
Excellent, that's great to hear. I don't mind it changing now and then, it's just when it changes I'd have to change some FW rules on some cloud services I use, so no biggie.

Just had a friendly call from the retentions team. Guy asked if pricing was the major factor behind me leaving, I said no and listed a few non price related issues. He said he understands and that they can't offer what I want, so that was it.

If they think I'm putting the Direct Debit back on for £5.23 they're having a laugh.

Hi DAVID,​
We've issued the refund due to you, using the following bank account:​
Bank account ending:​
****0035​
Bank sort code:​
04-90-02​
Amount:​
£5.23​
Please allow up to 2 working days for the money to appear in your bank account.​
Should you need to get in contact with us either online or over the phone, you'll need these details:​
cImBWfu3GiNESURjnB7BrV8sFU9k16kAxZKsAr7_o3X0GKBzUeXKxsn1o-gkkzRwrdrbD1_GV5R3cm11OThLMhiYc8F_x4odOWL_ZGfcfwHSlPk=s0-d-e1-ft
Account number:
482820853​
Ghh-zzKjVt4G_VSiDCqoZaFmBjtWrJNT2XBv8p3wT5KM7lGgKIBE2ZZqNtDEUdHDVcoHwQj1XlARi0iNDJOrDozK8-91Oq_LccAdYzFoUO7BKCc=s0-d-e1-ft
Area reference:
28​
Kind regards,​
The Virgin Media Payments team​

and no those aren't my real details

Last edited:
My area VM has seemingly started doing FTTP overlay work already, I wonder if they have decided that its not financially viable to put more money into DOCSIS here to get 100mbit upload working so it will come via FTTP instead.

I reboot mine reasonably often due to playing with different hardware, so it changes then. The hostname has stayed the same customer I have used with no issues for VPN etc. I also have cloudflare Dynamic DNS setup etc.

Reactions: R3X
Like others I have had the same external IP address for years on VM.

It's based on the MAC address (like most DHCP things) of either the SH router in router mode or the WAN MAC address of your own 3rd party router if in Modem Only Mode. The latter will survive a change in SH device\upgrade.

If you do want to change your IP address (on the off-chance) in modem only mode, and your 3rd party router allows you to change the WAN MAC address, doing so and a reboot will change the external IP address.

Anyone else having lots of drop outs? I seem to have several drop outs per week now, it seemed to start after the upload increase. I'm on 500mb with a Hub5 in modem mode.

This is my BQM from yesterday.

laGfyui.png

Last edited:
My internet has been down since 7am today.

looking on their site its due to be back up by 4pm today.

unsure if this is related to the storm last night but currently working from home using my mobile as a hot spot.

Anyone else having lots of drop outs? I seem to have several drop outs per week now, it seemed to start after the upload increase. I'm on 500mb with a Hub5 in modem mode.

This is my BQM from yesterday.

laGfyui.png

IM on M500 and its fine for me

i81ata7.png

You do have a lot of noise and spikes on yours though and your graph looks similar to mine when i had a damaged cable. Mine was fine originally on M200 and when i wen to M350 thats when i had midnight drop outs, noise and spikes on mine, turned out my virgin cable was cut in half and only the tips of the copper was touching. Engineer said when they changed the channels and frequency when i upgraded from M200 to m350 thats when the iffy connection i didnt know i had, couldnt cope and i was then seeing red packet loss spikes and latency spikes all over the place

I gave Virgin 2 more calls today and finally agreed a deal of £27 for 500mb for 18 months with the option to take out 1gig for £29 + £5 O2 sim. My understanding is you can get a bit sly and cancel the Sim in the cooling off without Virgin knowing but i need to look into this before i play with the idea of 1gig.

I did have to tell them i had agreed 500mb with BT this morning for £27 month, the first guy offered £29 for that and when i called back 5 mins later the woman offered me the £27 for 500mb. Both people today offered £29 for 1gig but only if i took a £5 sim, so the total would be £34

My offers were as follows:

NNV7Lfr.png

Thanks - this is handy as my contract is up in a month and I'm about to call them, so gives me something to aim for. Strange how the broadband price on the "with SIM" deals is more expensive than without though :confused:

Thanks - this is handy as my contract is up in a month and I'm about to call them, so gives me something to aim for. Strange how the broadband price on the "with SIM" deals is more expensive than without though :confused:
Good hunting!

The woman i spoke to used the immortal line "This deal is only available on this call" lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom