Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Trying to cancel my cable broadband at the moment and actually getting to speak to someone in support is a hassle.

I found if you call sales department someone picks up though. Luckily if you tell anyone you want to end payment they have to respond so it's a nice shortcut.

I might give Three 5g another go as they are offering 3 free months and then £20, with also one month contracts offered. Which is much safer if it's crap.

Trying to cancel my cable broadband at the moment and actually getting to speak to someone in support is a hassle.

I found if you call sales department someone picks up though. Luckily if you tell anyone you want to end payment they have to respond so it's a nice shortcut.

I might give Three 5g another go as they are offering 3 free months and then £20, with also one month contracts offered. Which is much safer if it's crap.

Tried Smarty (runs off three network) terrible broadband speeds my end barely got 5-9Mbps, put my giff gaff pay as you go sim and speedtest hit 18-20Mbps. o2 got 13-16Mbps oddly which is on the same network as giff gaff so go figure.

You may have better 5g or signal your end, id suggest a trial for a month and also check the three or smarty network checker. I have had a fault listed for over 3 months with it saying engineers are currently fixing it which sounds false almost.

I don't think three 5g bb can replace proper broadband, at least on my end it does not come remotely close, good idea in general just not in real world use.

Last edited:

Personally I'd get a Three/Smarty card off the wall in a Mobile shop, see if you can get a £5 one and then try it on your phone with Speedtest.
If you get a good download go for the Three 5G router.

My experience, I get 50mbps where I'm sitting now but at my Brothers I got over 800mbps.
At my office in the hospital I get 960mbps.

Personally I'd get a Three/Smarty card off the wall in a Mobile shop, see if you can get a £5 one and then try it on your phone with Speedtest.
If you get a good download go for the Three 5G router.

My experience, I get 50mbps where I'm sitting now but at my Brothers I got over 800mbps.
At my office in the hospital I get 960mbps.

I know I get a good speed as I've tried it before when it was first released. Over 800mbps off peak, but it wasn't always great at busy hours. It looks like my area has a stronger signal since then though. They offer 1 month contracts for £4 extra, so I'll probably take that and then just cancel if it's poop.

I'll wait a couple of months and then tell VM to FO as my contract ends in October (they told me you can't organise a contract non-renewal more than 60 days in advance :/ ). Then sign up for Three's deal with 3 months free on a 1 month contract if it's still there. If it's poop I can just end whenever and by then Virgin will probably be offering a cheap deal to stay with them again.

Last edited:
Despite cancelling last week and stating that I already had a new service provider (aquiss full fibre). Virgin has sent me a don’t go email with a deal for 100meg Broadband for £27. Ridiculous and glad I have moved. My new deal is a 12 month contract, no in contract increases. £25 for first 6 months then £50 for 500meg.

How 'sticky' is the assigned WAN IP if used in Modem mode?
The IP is, as other said, very sticky indeed. It's tied to the router's WAN NIC MAC, whether that's your own or theirs on the Hub (i.e. depending on whether you're in router or modem mode). I had my last IP for 5 or 6 years, and had it survive several x86 router NIC upgrades just by spoofing the original MAC in the /etc/network config. I finally got a new one when I got an entirely new SFF box and got sick of messing with the lladdr variable in OpenBSD and just let it grab a new one. I've had *that* IP for three years now, too.

Basically, don't worry about it. If you ever do chance upon a new address due to local works or whatever, have your cloud/public facing stuff set up to use domains where possible. I only have to update the A record for my domain in Cloudflare, and almost everything else just works off that - my DNS server, WireGuard configs and even my TBB monitor are all tied to my domain instead of the WAN IP lol. Makes for less stress if the IP does change. One tweak and everything just catches up by itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
The IP is, as other said, very sticky indeed. It's tied to the router's WAN NIC MAC, whether that's your own or theirs on the Hub (i.e. depending on whether you're in router or modem mode). I had my last IP for 5 or 6 years, and had it survive several x86 router NIC upgrades just by spoofing the original MAC in the /etc/network config. I finally got a new one when I got an entirely new SFF box and got sick of messing with the lladdr variable in OpenBSD and just let it grab a new one. I've had *that* IP for three years now, too.

Basically, don't worry about it. If you ever do chance upon a new address due to local works or whatever, have your cloud/public facing stuff set up to use domains where possible. I only have to update the A record for my domain in Cloudflare, and almost everything else just works off that - my DNS server, WireGuard configs and even my TBB monitor are all tied to my domain instead of the WAN IP lol. Makes for less stress if the IP does change. One tweak and everything just catches up by itself.
Cheers, good info. Most work stuff is IP only and doesn’t do domain names, otherwise I wouldn’t be bothered and I don’t want to be using a VDI.

Just installed, the guy is doing TV updates etc, figured I'd plug in to the hub directly with a USB-C 2.5 GbE and see how it's performing.

Clean-Shot-2023-06-29-at-10-53-40-2x.png

Looks really decent to be fair, once he's gone I'll put it into modem only mode and wire it into my UDM SE. I guess upload will settle down.

Looks similar to what I get , I have to say, I get pretty decent service from VM (now I've done it, shouldnt have said that). Im actually limited in the most part to my 1Gb LAN, on DL it max's that out.

Just installed, the guy is doing TV updates etc, figured I'd plug in to the hub directly with a USB-C 2.5 GbE and see how it's performing.

Clean-Shot-2023-06-29-at-10-53-40-2x.png

Looks really decent to be fair, once he's gone I'll put it into modem only mode and wire it into my UDM SE. I guess upload will settle down.
VROOM goes the tinternet.
Let us know if it drops off in anyway later on today just out of curiosity.
Did you spoof your MAC or same equipment, I see you was looking!

Last edited:
VROOM goes the tinternet.
Let us know if it drops off in anyway later on today just out of curiosity.
Did you spoof your MAC or same equipment, I see you was looking!
I doubt I'll be using it, as I have Openreach FTTP. It'll sit there in the background as failover, and I guess I'll fire my main download client onto it. Haven't spoofed any IP addresses, just plugged in my MacBook to test, it's now in modem mode and connected to my UDM SE.

The only thing that's not working is getting onto the hub which is in modem mode, the address doesn't ping. Probably something to do with the UniFi set up.

Strange
Code:

Pinging 192.168.100.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=63
Reply from 192.168.100.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=63

Think I had this on a previous router though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom