Virgin Media Discussion Thread

The only thing that's not working is getting onto the hub which is in modem mode, the address doesn't ping. Probably something to do with the UniFi set up.
BOGONS/Martians blocked on WAN? VPN cutting the routing table? You can always just add a manual route:

Linux:
sudo ip route add 192.168.100.1 10.0.0.1 # or whatever router IP is

macOS:
sudo route -n add -net 192.168.100.1/32 10.0.0.1

Windows:
route add 192.168.100.1 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1 # add the -p switch to make it permanent

But I'm sure you already knew this tbh. :p More of a 'for people who search this in future' dealie.

Edit: Ha! It's always the little things (he lies; it's always DNS). You could still use the manual policy based route (on the Unifi perhaps) to push 192.168.100.1 traffic through the VM connection and into the hub. That'd cover your OR connection too.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you can do this in Unifi land, you need a second address on the interface in the 192.168.100.0/24 range and to NAT the traffic leaving there towards the modem because you can't add static routes in the VM hub to tell it how to get back to your LAN.

Last edited:
Cheers, though it takes a few seconds to add whatever client I'm using to use the VM WAN connection and get onto the hub that way. It's not like I'll be logging onto it daily.

Upload still seems 'stuck' at 85 Mbps though, I'll leave it for a day or so and look into it properly. It says it's sync'd at 110 Mbps on the hub page, so I guess it could just a VM 'ism'.

Oh yeah, and top marks to the installer today. I suggested routing the cable from the outside box through the wall then over the internal living room door frame down to the TV unit (which backs onto a stud wall where my network cabinet is), I forgot it's fibre now and not coax so doesn't have the same bend radius. He said if you're happy, let's take off the (interior) door and lift up the carpet, and tuck the fibre between the grips and the skirting and also under the kick plate. He helped me with all of that, and cleaned up afterwards etc.

It would be nice if they did away with Coax for the FTTP installs, that way it would just be cat6 of the ONT into the hub/TV box.

Reactions: R3X
Oh yeah, and top marks to the installer today. I suggested routing the cable from the outside box through the wall then over the internal living room door frame down to the TV unit (which backs onto a stud wall where my network cabinet is), I forgot it's fibre now and not coax so doesn't have the same bend radius. He said if you're happy, let's take off the (interior) door and lift up the carpet, and tuck the fibre between the grips and the skirting and also under the kick plate. He helped me with all of that, and cleaned up afterwards etc.

It would be nice if they did away with Coax for the FTTP installs, that way it would just be cat6 of the ONT into the hub/TV box.
Thats all well an good until it gets spiked on the carpet grippers!

• Haha
Reactions: R3X
they've recently doubled the upload speeds I was getting from 50 to 100mb which is nice of them. Still not really enough when the downspeed is far higher, but it doesnt affect me all that much so im not bothered

they've recently doubled the upload speeds I was getting from 50 to 100mb which is nice of them. Still not really enough when the downspeed is far higher, but it doesnt affect me all that much so im not bothered

You know I was just chuckling to myself after reading your statement thinking, how the hell did we all sit there playing QuakeIII Arena with a 56K Modem.
The mind just Boggles!

Last edited:
VM have just cut through the lines on our estate.

Yikes.

Actual footage of VM's top cable laying and excavation team, hard at work today:

5303495074-c79e4aa02c-b.jpg

Last edited:
40 minutes from VM butchering Openreach residential services before someone is on site, OR get a bad rep but you'd struggle to get any other infrastructure builder out that quickly.

40 minutes from VM butchering Openreach residential services before someone is on site, OR get a bad rep but you'd struggle to get any other infrastructure builder out that quickly.

Theres a lot of shouting and arm waiving going on between the engineer and vm right now, looks like a punchup could be on the cards :cry: :cry:

Theres a lot of shouting and arm waiving going on between the engineer and vm right now, looks like a punchup could be on the cards :cry: :cry:
Time to Microwave the Popcorn eh, can you not live stream it for us :)

Back
Top Bottom