Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
It will be its ALL down to virgin media traffic shaping.

Heres my ping test this morning

50083004.png

compared to peak times last night

50061073.png

Soldato

Heres my ping test this morning

50083004.png

compared to peak times last night

50061073.png

To be fair I get wildly different pings between servers on ping test.

Although the service was rubbish over this wekend just gone, its never dropped off like it before.

Soldato
You probably will do.

I would love to say to them to get it sorted or I'll be off, but the BT line here is so bad it cant even do standard telephone calls properly, let alone decent internet.
So I'm stuck with cable, which for the most part has been fine.

Associate
Not sure if its related but my mates connection has been pretty much 100% solid for the last 2 years and in the last week its only been online for about 2hr, virgin have given an ETA of the 29th Nov before the problem will be fixed! :O

Soldato

Shaping doesn't cause packet loss, that's caused by overutilitisation.

You probably will do.

I would love to say to them to get it sorted or I'll be off, but the BT line here is so bad it cant even do standard telephone calls properly, let alone decent internet.
So I'm stuck with cable, which for the most part has been fine.

^same, I'm waiting for BT to install fibre to my cabinet then I'll probably switch over.

Man of Honour
Shaping doesn't cause packet loss, that's caused by overutilitisation.

+1.

Or in my case, a buggered cable, giving low downstream power.

You can check the downstream power on your suberhub.

Mine is significantly lower in my flat than it is at the box in my street.

Soldato
Well, technician has been. Levels were off, so he changed them. Still no change. Installed new Superhub, no change. Checked the box, no change. Poor guy, he ran up and down the stairs about 4 times (I live on the third floor).

Either way, it was fine when he arrived, and broken when he left. But not his fault, I'm glad he died when he was here. Just as confused as me. Getting his boss out next few days, and then hopefully they can fix the cabinet if it's a problem. All levels fine, cables fine, my PC is fine. So weird :(

Soldato
Just moved flat (in the same building)

virgin media replaced my modem and dlink router with a VM branded netgear thing all in one unit.

Am having issues with this especially when playing BF3 atm anyone else had problem with these devices? is there a firmware update for them or anything i can try?

I've had it 3 days and had to reboot it twice already.

check the superhub (vm branded netgear thing), firmware should be r30, if it is try running it in modem mode see if that helps.

could also set it to modem mode and plug your dlink router into it to be used as a router.

Associate
Mine in Preston PR2:
1580924221.png

To 'The One' - almost certainly to be over utilisation on your UBR rather than traffic shaping (as mentioned above). Try posting on the Virgin Media forums if you haven't already, if they dont have a fix date raise a complaint.

Associate
Anyone else having issues tonight in the South West?

Some websites load instantly and some don't work at all. It's not my system as it's the same on my mobile and ps3.

Done all the usual stuff like reset the hub etc etc

Soldato

Some websites load instantly and some don't work at all. It's not my system as it's the same on my mobile and ps3.

Getting the same as you mate and I am in the south west.

Side question
Long story short I read an article on how to open my NAT an I am assuming with the SuperHub it is standard practice to go into Advance - Services - Then un-tick everything... Correct?

Firewall Features
Ipsec PassThrough
PPTP PassThrough
Multicast
Port Scan Detection
IP Flood Detection

Soldato

Yeah im having issues all night,most webpages wont load,been like it for around 2-3 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom