Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Has anyone ever used the cooling off period to cancel right at the start of a new contract?

I complete on my house 9th August, earliest date I can get YouFibre FTTP is the 21st! Needless to say I can't go that long without internet, I can't work without it and even if I booked it all as holiday wtf am I gonna do with my time. So I'm wondering if I grab VM for say the 10th, activate and use it until the 20th then cancel as soon as YouFibre is installed - should work right?
Only issue is actually getting through to VM and cancelling it, took over an hour on hold last time I had to do that and if I miss my chance I'm on the hook for 2x18month contracts...
Can't you just hotspot from your phone as its only a few days? Should be okay for general browsing and work in most cases?

Can't you just hotspot from your phone as its only a few days? Should be okay for general browsing and work in most cases?
I am gonna try that tomorrow luckily I’m doing a final viewing before exchange. I’m assuming for now though the signal won’t be good enough, I get no 4G indoors at all here but I am moving back to a busier area so maybe better.

Anybody having a problem logging into....
Or
I'm having very random login problems with both
I've tried various dns providers and still have the same problem, just trying to workout if it's virgin problem or my router is causing the problem.
Can you just try mobile data to rule out VM?

Or
I've tried various dns providers and still have the same problem, just trying to workout if it's virgin problem or my router is causing the problem.
could it be this? https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/microsoft-outage-live-thousands-users-33359230

Or

Working absolutely fine for me, I've had no issues whatsoever. Sorry that isn't a more helpful reply

I have to say I'm loving my VM 1Gig connection. I've ran a CAT8 cable from the hub 5 Router 2.5GB/s port to a Gigabit switch then to my upstairs PC. I downloaded Assetto Corsa it's 25Gig game, it took 2 minutes! Be even better when I get my 2.5Gig switch.

Last edited:
i-wrote-this-review-for-cat8-ethernet-cables-and-it-still-v0-u5ht4ubce4dd1.jpeg

Look I don't claim to be a networking geek I'm just saying as I find it.
In real world in most homes it will be no different to cat5e/cat6. I run both all over my house and I have 10 GbE networking. Never had an issue.

You seem to have taken every inch of the marketing including the balls.

In real world in most homes it will be no different to cat5e/cat6. I run both all over my house and I have 10 GbE networking. Never had an issue.

You seem to have taken every inch of the marketing including the balls.
Nah I just never really looked into it. Just seen a cable and thought decent price. 20 quid for 30m seemed OK to me. Maybes cat5e/cat6 cheaper? I dunno. Happy with what I got though.

Finally put In my order for IDNet on cityfibre, won’t miss virgin and their terrible customer service.
IDNet, nice, I couldn't quite commit to the price but happy with Aquiss so far. Would still like to give IDNet a try at some point though out of curiosity.

VM installed FTTP about 4-5 years ago but can't bring myself to go though the pain of dealing with them. Thankfully cityfibre are here now, with ISPs offering faster speed, no mid contract price rises and far superior support that's not designed to send you loopy it's a no brainer.

Over 14 year old CAT5e :)

1722438031390370655.png

366094e2-c28e-4de3-8fe9-a21fdcc73945.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom