Virgin Media Discussion Thread

I know we in the wrong thread, but yeah I wasnt happy when I read the plans are a demand led rollout vs universal rollout, but I suppose can understand cityfibre want value out of their GPON investment.

I have 2 bits of speculation.

1 - The earlier cities such as York, have a more mature rollout (higher takeup), and XGS-PON was justified, I also suspect at some point rollout will switch to XGS-PON capable as standard and this apparently has already started since late 2023 build work. (according to one single source). So the areas which are likely to get XGS-PON last are the last areas to be deployed with GPON, so probably early to mid 2023 builds and 2022 builds.
2 - The demand might be measured as utilisation on the existing GPON, particularly on higher speed products. There is a 2gbit GPON product, so if an area gets a lot of those, it might well accelerate XGS-PON deployment. I tried to squeeze info out of AAISP as CF seem to be sharing XGS-PON info with partners, and they advertising a XGS-PON trial, but I merely got a short reply along the lines of "This is not yet available".
We are off topic now, maybe a mod can move these posts to the cityfibre thread.

I'd agree with your speculation, very good points and makes perfect sense. As soon as they announced a pause on new build areas to concentrate on becoming profitable I knew XGS upgrades would be delayed. The finances are turning around though of late.

Had a go on Aquiss website and they allow ordering 2.5g XGS services in a GPON only area, I assume the order would be downgraded, but that is a way that demand can be logged.
According to Martin from Aquiss it's a cityfibre database issue. Would be bad if cityfibre were setting customers up for dissapointment just to guage demand.

Cancelled my service the other week as I'm moving to a non-serviced area.

For those needing to just cancel, I managed it via the chat service (which seems rare based on my googling) - refused to provide forwarding details and that was enough to get it through.

Others have said that they still require a call - but that wasn't my experience thankfully.

If you're in contract you'll need to email proof of the new address to get any fees back for ending it early.

Thankfully I was well outside of my contract and just on a rolling monthly (between moves). Demanding an address was purely so they could try and resell / upsell me on something else - reading a number of sources they've had large amounts of regulator complaints about this practise.

Demanding an address was purely so they could try and resell / upsell me on something else - reading a number of sources they've had large amounts of regulator complaints about this practise.
Very common tactic by them, they're done it to me when going door to door, and also when I ordered a service and tried to cancel before the install. Effectively telling me that I must tell them who I am with before they can cancel.

It's annoying as the service is really decent in my area. :cry:

Exactly the same - I was in an ex telewest area. Moving to a BT openreach area so it's going to be interesting to compare the two.

I've been having major issues since yesterday, not sure what's going on. Can't get an engineer till Saturday either.

WLlJWPn.png

Yea, same here not quite as bad as your graph but it looks like my issues started at the same time as yours.
Probably a coincidence, I really hate calling VM CS so will leave it a day or 2

Last edited:
Yea, same here not quite as bad as your graph but it looks like my issues started at the same time as yours.
Probably a coincidence, I really hate calling VM CS so will leave it a day or 2

This morning I opened up the box with the splitter in that goes to the modem and the TV box, I unscrewed the cables and inspected them all, they seemed fine so I put it back together again. Since then mine has been fine, I'm not sure if it was the act of disconnecting the TV box or what.

jBJ00gP.png

Virgin was out for a whole week. Do they usually send an email for the compensation amount or will. I have to chase them up?
It was automatic from when I registered loss of service, showed up on my bill unexpectedly.

I think as long as you’ve logged it it should go through

Edit
I checked my emails and I received a “your loss of service” email from them which explained the automatic compensation pricing

Last edited:
It was automatic from when I registered loss of service, showed up on my bill unexpectedly.

I think as long as you’ve logged it it should go through
Thanks. It was reported via a call and they even dropped a card through the letterbox to tell us us about repair works.

Phoned up to cancel as I’m switching to Sky FTTP. No matter how many times I said I’m not interested in deals as i just want to move, they kept banging on and on. They make you feel like you’re doing something wrong and have just been wasting their time all these years.

It’s down to their greed as well really. They won’t drop any lower than £66 a month solely for 1Gig, even though I’ve been with them for 14 years.

Back
Top Bottom