Virgin Media Discussion Thread

I may be able to order a Virgin package this year, via Nexfibre's FTTP network.

Is there any wiggle room on contract lengths, as I think an 18 month (rather than 12 month) contract could be a deal breaker.
On HFC they do offer 1 month (not sure about XGS-PON) but the monthly sub is so bad you would be better going for the 18, and then taking your chance of talking out of the exit fee, should the need arise.

One thing you could do e.g. if you want to leave is just say you moving to an area that has no VM coverage.

I've been waiting for a VM install for a month now. There is an issue getting at the Openreach duct and i'm waiting to see if they will sort it out, or if they will end up cancelling my order. Comms from them is virtually non-existant...

Yes it's all good via that!

Try a different browser, incognito mode, turn off any parenting software, AV, etc.
Yeah tried all of the above before even asking in here, It was more to see if others on VM had the same issue or not. I didn't see a stream of people moaning about it tbh.
I'm waiting for a firmware to see if anything changes.

Spoke to "Claire" today from Virgin media who seemed much friendlier and offered 1gig for £34.44 which is cheaper than most 500mb FTTP available locally.

Last edited:
IDNet, nice, I couldn't quite commit to the price but happy with Aquiss so far. Would still like to give IDNet a try at some point though out of curiosity.

VM installed FTTP about 4-5 years ago but can't bring myself to go though the pain of dealing with them. Thankfully cityfibre are here now, with ISPs offering faster speed, no mid contract price rises and far superior support that's not designed to send you loopy it's a no brainer.

Over 14 year old CAT5e :)

1722438031390370655.png

366094e2-c28e-4de3-8fe9-a21fdcc73945.png
Nice speeds, I should get the full 2000 upload too as I'm in an upgraded area.

Nice speeds, I should get the full 2000 upload too as I'm in an upgraded area.
That's lucky, they aren't automatically upgrading the GPON areas so XGS could be a bit of a wait. I think each FeX is getting upgraded based on demand, how they guage demand though I don't know, you can't register interest for it anywhere as far as I know.

I'd love to compare latency when your live.

That's lucky, they aren't automatically upgrading the GPON areas so XGS could be a bit of a wait. I think each FeX is getting upgraded based on demand, how they guage demand though I don't know, you can't register interest for it anywhere as far as I know.

I'd love to compare latency when your live.
I know we in the wrong thread, but yeah I wasnt happy when I read the plans are a demand led rollout vs universal rollout, but I suppose can understand cityfibre want value out of their GPON investment.

I have 2 bits of speculation.

1 - The earlier cities such as York, have a more mature rollout (higher takeup), and XGS-PON was justified, I also suspect at some point rollout will switch to XGS-PON capable as standard and this apparently has already started since late 2023 build work. (according to one single source). So the areas which are likely to get XGS-PON last are the last areas to be deployed with GPON, so probably early to mid 2023 builds and 2022 builds.
2 - The demand might be measured as utilisation on the existing GPON, particularly on higher speed products. There is a 2gbit GPON product, so if an area gets a lot of those, it might well accelerate XGS-PON deployment. I tried to squeeze info out of AAISP as CF seem to be sharing XGS-PON info with partners, and they advertising a XGS-PON trial, but I merely got a short reply along the lines of "This is not yet available".

Yeah they are definitely building XGS by default in later builds, I’m in Nottingham and they are still building here but it’s all XGS.
Sadly my area was 2022 up to around mid 2023 for the section that they turned on, and its all GPON around me, but the final parts of the city are XGS, so the city itself has different technologies depending on where you live.

-

Had a go on Aquiss website and they allow ordering 2.5g XGS services in a GPON only area, I assume the order would be downgraded, but that is a way that demand can be logged.

Last edited:
Yesterday I gave 30 days notice to cancel with Virgin as now I have Open Reach FTTP available to me and with the TNT sports issue with VM leaving a sour taste I wanted to swap.

However they called me just now and offered me a new contract deal, I would be crazy to refuse it

- 1 Gbps Internet
- Top TV package with all sports and movie, including TNT Sports.
- 2 TV boxes
- Landline
- Netflix included

All for £63 a month for the whole contract.

That's a good deal. Is that with Volt? Ie, do you have to have the O2 SIM for 1 Gbps?

Also interested to hear whether having to have volt is a requirement to this offer. It's a shame o2's network is so woeful, currently I view the requirement to have volt on some packages as more of a threat than positive contribution to the deal.

oh yeah that is with the sim which is billed seperately, but that's fine. My son uses that sim.
Even with the sim thats a good deal, to make you feel even better, VM offered me a price with standard TV for £50 something pounds (also needing a sim). No sports, movies, netflix.

Back
Top Bottom