Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Moved out of my old address and phoned Virgin to cancel as they don't cover the area where I am now. Was left on hold for 90 minutes before I gave up and thought *** them. I cancelled the DD and left it at that after sending them a message. I think I was paying in advance anyway. Terrible customer service they "have".

I would still try to sort it out properly with them. I cancelled mine on web chat instead of via the phone, it was pretty quick and straightforward. Just make sure that the service is officially cancelled and that they don't think they're owed anything because I have heard of people cancelling their DDs and then getting a missed payment on their credit file.

I would still try to sort it out properly with them. I cancelled mine on web chat instead of via the phone, it was pretty quick and straightforward. Just make sure that the service is officially cancelled and that they don't think they're owed anything because I have heard of people cancelling their DDs and then getting a missed payment on their credit file.
I used webchat too and was on hold for ages. That's where I left the message. They seem much worse since merging with O2.

Virgin wanted £112 a month at my mothers house for

MaxIT TV
Asian mela addon
M250 broadband

Eventually they dropped it to 100mb a month and removing the Asian mela package for £55 a month.

However I didn’t know they had shoehorned all the Indian channels into this one addon so my mother had nothing on the base package. Phone up virgin and they wanted £20 a month so I told them I’ve had enough and to cancel everything as I’ll shift her to sky for £51 a month.

At my place I get those Asian channels as standard and the Q box is leagues ahead of her ancient TiVo box anyway.

Moved out of my old address and phoned Virgin to cancel as they don't cover the area where I am now. Was left on hold for 90 minutes before I gave up and thought *** them. I cancelled the DD and left it at that after sending them a message. I think I was paying in advance anyway. Terrible customer service they "have".
Well that's one way to get debt collectors to visit you and potentially get a default on your credit file. Apt username.

Well that's one way to get debt collectors to visit you and potentially get a default on your credit file. Apt username.
Why would you think that? I pay in advance and they have closed the account. It's not like I owe them anything, my contract expired years ago.

You want them to cancel, but the account is closed. I’m not following.
I phoned and used chat to advise them I wanted to cancel but they messed me around and didn't respond, so instead I cancelled the DD so they were unable to take the next month's payment which closed the account.

I phoned and used chat to advise them I wanted to cancel but they messed me around and didn't respond, so instead I cancelled the DD so they were unable to take the next month's payment which closed the account.
Are you sure it's actually cancelled the account? It would be a good idea to check that it isn't still open and in arrears etc. You don't want that random debt appearing in a couple of years when you want a mortgage!

Are you sure it's actually cancelled the account? It would be a good idea to check that it isn't still open and in arrears etc. You don't want that random debt appearing in a couple of years when you want a mortgage!
Thanks. There is no debt as you pay in advance and the service is terminated. I've tried contacting them several times to no avail. All I had was Broadband and nothing else.

Thanks. There is no debt as you pay in advance and the service is terminated. I've tried contacting them several times to no avail. All I had was Broadband and nothing else.
Interesting, as I deffo wasn't paying entirely in advance. As there was a final payment to bring my account up to date following the cancellation - as long as you are sorted then all good

Unless they've confirmed you are cancelled then you are risking credit issues/debt chasing as they'll keep charging and the DD will fail, and even if you were in credit as there's a rolling 30 day after the fixed contract ends.

Got my new Virgin gear today after wife took out a new contract in her name because the offers they gave me were no good. I have an FTTP connection as my primary connection so mainly got VM again for TV and for a backup Internet connection. As it's mainly for a backup I've gone for a lower tier, 350Mb (though it'll be upped to 500Mb through Volt at some point).

Anyway, I had a Hub 4 before and now I've got a Hub 3 because of the lower speed connection. I'm quite shocked at how insanely slow the web UI is on it. Granted it's not a major issue because you don't exactly go changing settings in there on a daily basis, but it's still crazy how slow it is. Does anyone else have this issue with the Hub 3 or is it just something to do with mine? On top of that, changing any setting in it seems to make it die a couple of times before coming back - even adding a DHCP reservation seemed to take about a minute and in that time the hub itself stopped responding to pings twice, so weird.

It's in modem mode now as it's in a 2nd WAN interface on my firewall but I really hope I never have a need to go back on to it :D

Last edited:
It's an eight year old CPE with Wi-Fi 5, there's really no excuse for VM to still be providing them.

I wasn't surprised on the one hand as they must have loads of them kicking about, but on the other hand you're right - the wifi on it is unacceptable. Luckily I'm not using it but they're obviously trying their luck with people who don't know or care.

Got my new Virgin gear today after wife took out a new contract in her name because the offers they gave me were no good. I have an FTTP connection as my primary connection so mainly got VM again for TV and for a backup Internet connection. As it's mainly for a backup I've gone for a lower tier, 350Mb (though it'll be upped to 500Mb through Volt at some point).

Anyway, I had a Hub 4 before and now I've got a Hub 3 because of the lower speed connection. I'm quite shocked at how insanely slow the web UI is on it. Granted it's not a major issue because you don't exactly go changing settings in there on a daily basis, but it's still crazy how slow it is. Does anyone else have this issue with the Hub 3 or is it just something to do with mine? On top of that, changing any setting in it seems to make it die a couple of times before coming back - even adding a DHCP reservation seemed to take about a minute and in that time the hub itself stopped responding to pings twice, so weird.

It's in modem mode now as it's in a 2nd WAN interface on my firewall but I really hope I never have a need to go back on to it :D
My sky hub requires a restart every time you add a DHCP reservation, so this doesn't shock me that much

That is probably done by design actually, as taking the ports down and bringing them back up again should trigger the client to re-request an IP so it's effectively forcing it to do a DHCP renew. The VM Hub 4 didn't do that though, or at least, I don't remember it doing it but then it's been 3 years since I last did anything with the previous Hub 4 so I can't say for sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom