Virgin Media Discussion Thread

I wasn't surprised on the one hand as they must have loads of them kicking about, but on the other hand you're right - the wifi on it is unacceptable. Luckily I'm not using it but they're obviously trying their luck with people who don't know or care.
I'm only on 250Gb broadband and until a couple of months back still had an SH2 (in modem mode) when VM emailed me to say the SH2 was very old would I like an SH4 instead.

is it normal for YouTube to buffer so much with Virgin Media? If I switch back to my 58mbit TalkTalk FTTC connection it's a lot better.

Are you in a legacy DOCSIS area with high utilisation? Set up a Thinkbroadband BQM and monitor it for a few days.

Are you in a legacy DOCSIS area with high utilisation? Set up a Thinkbroadband BQM and monitor it for a few days.

I'm in a DOCSIS area but the utilisation looks to be pretty good.

Ignore the dropped packets. VM performed planned maintenance last night.

Does it ever perform well, like early in the morning? Do you have a VPN service and does that make the problem go away?

Does it ever perform well, like early in the morning? Do you have a VPN service and does that make the problem go away?

Seems okay really early in the morning, but the rest of the day can be very hit and miss.

I've tried with my free Proton VPN account and it doesn't make any difference.

Never noticed anything through the day at all, getting full 1gig speeds (VM).
Hub in modem mode, with a Unifi UCG Ulta doing the rest.

Last edited:
Seems okay really early in the morning, but the rest of the day can be very hit and miss.

I've tried with my free Proton VPN account and it doesn't make any difference.
Are you using wifi or wired? Does it happen on more than just one device? Do you do regular speedtests?

Are you using wifi or wired? Does it happen on more than just one device? Do you do regular speedtests?

I don't really watch on wired devices, but I could test it on my desktop PC later. It happens on both my phone and iPad.

I do a speediest about once a day, and it's always >500mbit download.

Been unimpressed with Community Fibre’s router range and their CGNAT arrangements. Considering switching back to Virgin on the new customer deals via my partner.

Is there a Friends and Family code to use? Or anything else to look out for?

Been unimpressed with Community Fibre’s router range and their CGNAT arrangements. Considering switching back to Virgin on the new customer deals via my partner.

If I am right I think the top package takes you off CGNAT, but of course its extra to pay.

Run your own wifi, much easier in the long run. And pay a little extra for a static IP.

Doesn’t look like community fibre let you pay extra for a static, you either go on the 3Gb package which is still probably cheaper than Virgin or looks like some people have phoned up and been moved to a static IP.

Seems this is happening every night.
Could it be some power saving setting on my UCG Ulta or the VM hub?
Thanks
Has your ip address changed in over a year? Might be looking at someone else’s connection unless you’ve just set it up the BQM.

If not, it could to be a schedule set on the router, seems awfully specific at 7am to 10pm

Last edited:
Has your ip address changed in over a year? Might be looking at someone else’s connection unless you’ve just set it up the BQM.

If not, it could to be a schedule set on the router, seems awfully specific at 7am to 10pm
I will check the setting when I get a minute.
Seems most likely a setting somewhere.
Thanks

Just checked the IP and it is different to the one I have now.
I upgraded to a 1gig connection so they must have changed my IP (I wasn't aware).
Have edited it with Thinkbroadband, so will check it again in a couple of days.

Thanks

Had VM installed last Monday and it stopped working this afternoon with a flashing blue light on the Hub and was off for about 6 hours. All the time the App status was saying all was good... Fortunately BT fttp was still working as not cancelled for a few weeks.

Hope this isn't a sign of things to come with them.

Back
Top Bottom