Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I used to have Virgin (previously Telewest) internet, my mum still has it and we never had any speed problems. There was the ocassional time when the connection wouldn't work at all for a few hours (I think maybe 5 times over ~10 years) but we always got/get 95%+ of the rated speed, which was either 512Kbps, 768Kbps, 2Mbps, 4Mbps or 10Mbps at various times.

I guess Surrey has sufficient cable bandwidth. :/

Associate
Alright. Just changed my subscription from 20mb to 50mb and Voila!

Haven't got my modem yet though. Still using the stock netgear modem they normally give.

Sam

Associate
Well, a week later and I've got to say I am a little disappointed with the service. It's just so inconsistent, it'll be happily pulling down at max speed then randomly drop to around 300-400kb/sec for a minute or so. It's not just downloads that slow during these slowdowns, general browsing slows to a crawl too with timeouts etc happening.

It's great when it's running at full speed, but these slowdowns are really frustrating :(

I have the same problem, intermittently, on the 20mb package but always put it down to the restrictions they place at certain times of the day. I am having 50mb installed in 2 weeks and was hoping this would be gone.....fingers crossed.

Oh and I got mine at £38 for 50mb & basic phone line, got rid of the TV service. Downgraded from triple XL package at £57p/m

Man of Honour
I am having a nightmare with 50MB. I am having to restart my modem about 5 times a day. Of course when they look into it, there isn't an issue. I am paying close to £60 a month for this tat, I am not impressed.

Sure, when it's working, it's great... but my 20MB was a dream compared to this.

Man of Honour
I am having a nightmare with 50MB. I am having to restart my modem about 5 times a day. Of course when they look into it, there isn't an issue. I am paying close to £60 a month for this tat, I am not impressed.

Sure, when it's working, it's great... but my 20MB was a dream compared to this.

Post on the newsgroups, they are very good on there. Or phone and demand an engineer to visit.

Man of Honour
Post on the newsgroups, they are very good on there. Or phone and demand an engineer to visit.

An engineer came, done some tests and no fault found. It's typical.

Just been on the phone and they say the next time that it cuts out, not to restart the modem and call back.

Last edited:
Associate
Guys,

Just reading through this thread makes me wonder whether I should be getting the upgrade or not. The engineer is coming to install it this Friday for me. I'm currently on the 20mb line and I'm just wondering if the upgrade is going to cause me problems.

I live in London. North to be exact. Anyone in London could vouch for this 50MB service?

thanks,
Sam

Associate
Any updates guys in Newcastle ? I get my 50mb fitted on Saturday (oldham) and am hoping my lines are not over subscribed or I will be very angry :D

Yes the update is virgin have yet to fix the problem. Shocker or what!? [/sarcasm]
They say the problem that was meant to be fixed a week ago is still not fixed but the engineers are working on it...clearly virgin only employ inept engineers to go along with the rest of their terribly incompetent staff.
We have been on the phone to them a million and 1 times, they keep giving us money off and were getting this last month free cos its been so bad but id rather pay the money and actually receive the service they so falsely advertise.

The internet is basically unusable for anything other than google after midday, and even google takes years.
They say the problem is apparently in our area something is broken that means whenever a packet doesn't get sent properly it sends the packet over and over which is what is causing all the lines to lag cos they are getting overloaded with too many packets that shouldn't be there.
i say why the hell are packets not getting sent properly in the first place given that we pay an extortionate amount each month for apparently the 'fastest broadband in the uk'. even though 56k would be faster...

Soldato
They took there time fixing a problem in my area with snr problems, when it was done i phoned them up and moaned about the issues i had for 2 months and managed to get 50mb broadband at 20mb price for 18 months, mine is now superb again and fast after the engineer came and did something at the cabinet outside.

Soldato
Guys,

Just reading through this thread makes me wonder whether I should be getting the upgrade or not. The engineer is coming to install it this Friday for me. I'm currently on the 20mb line and I'm just wondering if the upgrade is going to cause me problems.

I live in London. North to be exact. Anyone in London could vouch for this 50MB service?

thanks,
Sam

I am on the Camden UBR and my 50mbit service has on the whole been very good (3 mths).

You pays your money and you takes your chances. :p

Associate
I'm looking at moving back to Virgin Media soon, ADSL just can't cut the mustard in my area!

The last time I was with them they had a 30 day money back guarantee if you weren't happy. Do they still have this system in place for new customers? I just don't want to order 50mb broadband and end up wanting to upgrade to dial up later!! :p

Jay

Jay

Associate
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone can possibly explain to me where Virgin are getting their figures from?

Here is my dads billing info:

Telephone Line Rental £11
Talk International £1.50
Talk Unlimited £7.95
Talk Mobile £1.50
Mates Rates -£33.50
TV Size XL £23
1 Additional V Box £15
V+ Box £10
Add Set box(s) Discount -£10
Phone, TV, BB Saving -£34.95
Broadband XL £37
Paper Bill Charge £1.25

Sky Movies/ Sky Sports £27.50

Rang up Virgin to upgrade to 50Mb (XXL) BB and they want an ADDITIONAL £44 PER MONTH. Can anyone explain where they are getting this price from?

I rang up and got it for an extra £8 per month, here are my details.

Telephone Line Rental £11
Talk International £1.50
Talk Unlimited £7.95
Talk Mobile £1.50
Mates Rates -£33.50
TV Size XL £23
1 Additional V Box £15
V+ Box £10
Add Set box(s) Discount -£10
Phone, TV, BB Saving -£29.95
Broadband XL £37
Paper Bill Charge £1.25

Can anyone help? I've phoned 3 different times and keep getting told the same thing?

It would be cheaper to keep the exisitng 20Mb and buy a seperate 50Mb.

Going off Virgins website 20Mb is £20 per month and 50Mb is £28 per month, so it should only be an extra £8 per month like me?

Jay

Jay

Associate
Cant do that as I added a package to my account only 6 months ago which tied me into a new 12 month contract (even though i've been a customer since 1998)

edit: phoned again. They want an extra £55 per month now. DO they just make it up?

Soldato

Laptop via Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and WPC54GS wireless pcmcia adapter.

and again:

and on Compaq Evo n1015v via same wireless router:

Last edited:
Associate
So whats the upload on the Virgin 50meg deal, as at the moment my 20meg connection is plenty its just the loadup that sucks. Would much rather have a 30meg DL and 3-5Meg UL speed, rather than a stupid 50meg DL (which i doubt id every get most of the time) and a pathetic UL speed!

Soldato
For those who have kicked up a fuss and gone through to the disconnections section, were you at the end of your twelve month contract?

I've got the basic TV package, phone line and 20mb internet for £31 a month. Now I don't use the TV package, at all and I don't really need the 20mb internet anymore either.

I can get a 24mb DSL connection and a BT line for a combined price of around £24 a month. Shall I just kick up a fuss? I know its not much difference but every bit helps at the moment!

Soldato
For those who have kicked up a fuss and gone through to the disconnections section, were you at the end of your twelve month contract?

I've got the basic TV package, phone line and 20mb internet for £31 a month. Now I don't use the TV package, at all and I don't really need the 20mb internet anymore either.

I can get a 24mb DSL connection and a BT line for a combined price of around £24 a month. Shall I just kick up a fuss? I know its not much difference but every bit helps at the moment!

Update for this.

Phoned up VM sales, discussed with a lady there reducing my internet to 10mb if it saved me some money, she said that basically because I had a discount I'd end up paying £36 a month if I reduced my internet to 10mb. Slightly confused I said fair enough and ended the call.

10 mins later, I called up disconnections asking when my contract ended (I believed it to be April) and seeing how I give my 30 days notice. He asked the usual, why are you leaving, etc.. Ended up offering me the package I wanted for the £24 it was advertised on the website with no extra extension to my contract.

Why the first lady couldn't of done this I don't know and personally don't know where she got £36 from?!

Phone Line = £11
Medium TV = £0
10mb = £14

All comes to £25, not £36!

Back
Top Bottom