Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
My understanding is it is not possible due to tech they use.

Yes and no. Docsis 3.1 allows unto 10Gbit down and 2Gbit up in theory, they've already run 2.2Gbit down and 214 up in small scale testing, but then reverted back to 52 up on subsequent testing, I suspect because each cabinet requires a physical upgrade in order to allow the improved upstream and scaling it out when you're planning on moving from HFC to re-pull in fibre to allow RFoG and eventually - hopefully - pure fibre seems like it may not be the best way to spend money.

Reactions: TNA
Associate
5471bb37805fcdb059d907252b25f5b80345763f-13-05-2022.png

a88f532cb2eb325f054d2bedfee4bc596a19d219-15-05-2022.png

The past couple of days has been fun...

Associate
Mines not been to happy the last few weeks either, rocking up tens of thousands of pre/post errors in a matter of hours loads of t3 timeouts, log has lot of entries; SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync, RCS Partial Service, Lost MDD Timeout, No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out, got a techie coming out later in the week. Been near enough unusable at times repeatedly getting kicked from online games bad lag websites failing to load. My old FTTC line 15.5/0.7mbps was really slow but it was far more reliable

Associate
Any local issues?

It changes every few hours when I check the service status page, one minute all fine, the next there's an issue in the area and they're looking into it... Have posted on their community forums to try and push for a tech visit.

Mines not been to happy the last few weeks either, rocking up tens of thousands of pre/post errors in a matter of hours loads of t3 timeouts, log has lot of entries; SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync, RCS Partial Service, Lost MDD Timeout, No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out, got a techie coming out later in the week. Been near enough unusable at times repeatedly getting kicked from online games bad lag websites failing to load. My old FTTC line 15.5/0.7mbps was really slow but it was far more reliable

Same here with the RCS Partial Service, Lost MDD Timeout & No Ranging Response errors - was told by a mod on the forums that they'd booked a tech visit but no idea when this is supposed to take place.

Soldato
Ive got a strange issue with my connection.

If I'm playing games (like cod) or have a discord channel open my download speed is about 200mbs.

as soon as I close cod or discord speed instantly jumps back to 550mbs..

Associate
Contract is up for renewal at the end of this month. Prices quoted for renewal are £32pm for m100 or £38pm for m200. This isn't that great huh? Broadband only.
Call them ASAP and tell them you want to cancel when your contract ends. Your cut off day will be 30 days from whatever day you call them, but the retention team will call you probably within a week and offer you deals better than new customer ones. If you really want the best deal, you need to actually let your contract lapse then the day it ends, re-sign up again as a new customer using one of the deals on Moneysupermarket which, with the £100 Amazon voucher, work out even cheaper than the retention deals over the 18 month period. I did this on Friday and got my delivery today of the new router etc. I was able to get 500Mb for the same overall cost after 18 months as the 350Mb package in the retention deal, which was already cheaper than a new customer deal, overall a pretty decent saving. I'm paying £36/month for 500mb I think it was, but I obviously get £100 back

Last edited:
Associate
Contract is up for renewal at the end of this month. Prices quoted for renewal are £32pm for m100 or £38pm for m200. This isn't that great huh? Broadband only.

The first line retentions offer pants renewal prices. I got through to the second line and they offered me £33 for 350mb which was what I was on before it was going up to £60 or something. 27 for the 200mb and then 100mb for £21 and that was just broadband.

I've signed up to the 100mb connection at £21 so don't accept anything worse than that. :D

Associate
The first line retentions offer pants renewal prices. I got through to the second line and they offered me £33 for 350mb which was what I was on before it was going up to £60 or something. 27 for the 200mb and then 100mb for £21 and that was just broadband.

I've signed up to the 100mb connection at £21 so don't accept anything worse than that. :D
Its £56 cheaper over the 18 months with the Moneysupermarket deal on 100mb.

Back
Top Bottom