Vodafone broadband any good?

Soldato
I've been rudely reminded why I hate Vodafone so very much.

Our current BT Infinity 1 contract is in my girlfriend's name, so we tried to order Vodafone 76mbit in her name last night and it failed twice. The site told us to phone their call center but they can only deal with orders between 8am - 8pm. There was also no error code associated with the order failure so it'll be fun and games trying to get them to understand what went wrong.

I then tried to order the service in my name, and since I already had a Vodafone account (but with no active services) I was forced to log in in order to complete the order. After logging in, the site threw an error saying "we're working on fixing this" and I couldn't proceed. I logged into My Account on the Vodafone site in a different browser successfully, so it's the order process that's broken.

*sigh*

Associate
Just hit the 6 month mark and apart from one slowdown which they sorted in rapid time, no complaints whatsoever. As i'm an existing VF mobile customer, I can't moan at £25/month for BB.

Similar for me - my only issue was wanting to use my R7000 + HG612 modem but they have fixed that problem now. No issues at all with connection, low latency and rock solid 40mbit since it was installed.

Soldato
I've been rudely reminded why I hate Vodafone so very much.

Our current BT Infinity 1 contract is in my girlfriend's name, so we tried to order Vodafone 76mbit in her name last night and it failed twice. The site told us to phone their call center but they can only deal with orders between 8am - 8pm. There was also no error code associated with the order failure so it'll be fun and games trying to get them to understand what went wrong.

I then tried to order the service in my name, and since I already had a Vodafone account (but with no active services) I was forced to log in in order to complete the order. After logging in, the site threw an error saying "we're working on fixing this" and I couldn't proceed. I logged into My Account on the Vodafone site in a different browser successfully, so it's the order process that's broken.

*sigh*

Also had the exact same issue. Ended up renewing my contract with Plusnet... £30pm for 18 months.

Associate
No but the bill says line rental is paid in advance for 3 months, it even quotes;

This is the cost of your Line Rental (and your calling plan) at £18.99 a
month, charged in advance from 14 Aug 2017 to 13 Nov 2017.

Soldato
No but the bill says line rental is paid in advance for 3 months, it even quotes;

This is the cost of your Line Rental (and your calling plan) at £18.99 a
month, charged in advance from 14 Aug 2017 to 13 Nov 2017.

That's because you elected to pay quarterly, your final bill will receive a prorate refund less any notice period/contractually due payment in leiu of notice/usage. If you disconnect the service (terminology is key), then depending what your contract states you may be billed a cease fee, the thing is you'd have to be pretty stupid to do this as you're not disconnecting, you want to migrate to another provider. That is unless you like wasting money, loosing connectivity for a week or two etc. and given you're moving based on price that seems unlikely.

Soldato
Mine went live this morning

Only had time to run a quick speed test before I had to go to work. Getting 76Mb/s (75Mb/s, I remembered wrong) down and 18Mb/s up, so cant complain at that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm really close to the exchange, but that doesn't matter with FTTC. If you mean the cabinet, then I'm not sure really, its hard to eye up. At a guess, in a direct line, maybe 100m, following the paths which I assume the cables do, maybe 250m?

EDIT - I measured it on google maps as I was interested, its 200m following the paths

Last edited:
Associate
I've just signed up to the 76 package as my old Demon internet ADSL ~7mbs has seen its day.

The chaps at Vodafone didnt have clue though who Demon/Thus were (even though they acquired them some years ago) and it took some messing about to get to the right people. They put me on the 76 Unlimited package for just £20 per month with a static IP!

Given that line rental is £19 its Broadband for a quid. super!

Soldato
Ah - so you've managed to get a static IP?
It has been listed in their prices since they went live for no extra cost, however customers have been unable to get it - service is currently not available.
From your cost, I'm assuming you're a home and not business customer.
Who did you speak to with regards the static IP? Online or phone?
Thanks.

Associate
the package I converted from was a Demon Home Office 2000 from about 2005. So its sort of a business package. I remember having to provide a VAT number at the time.

I went through Demon Sales and spoke to a chap called David who was part of Demon/Thus before the takeover. The Vodafone chaps were simply useless and didn't have a clue. I dont really need the fixed IP any more but stubbornness says "I had it before and I want it know"

Soldato
After a day with Vodafone, a couple of things were annoying me.

1 - the router has poor wifi

2 - vodafone's dns blocks imgur for some strange reason.

Got my username and password from live chat and installed my own modem / router and changed to Google's dns and I'm feeling pretty good about it now.

Live chat was pretty bad. Took the guy I was talking to 3 mins to respond to every message I sent. Asked me various security questions one at a time so took longer than it should have, but in the end he was helpful so I guess that's fine.

Associate
This looks to have increased in price now despite the £20 for 38mb offer being supposed to run until 9th October. I'm due to go live on Wednesday at £20 but my daughter has just come round and said when she just tried to sign up that offer's gone.
The voda website now has 38mb at £25 plus there's a £49 setup fee now whereas there was none before.

Associate
This looks to have increased in price now despite the £20 for 38mb offer being supposed to run until 9th October. I'm due to go live on Wednesday at £20 but my daughter has just come round and said when she just tried to sign up that offer's gone.
The voda website now has 38mb at £25 plus there's a £49 setup fee now whereas there was none before.

Cheeky ****, not supposed to go back up for another week :(

Back
Top Bottom