Vodafone broadband any good?

Soldato
I thought that Vodafone used Openreach like everyone else from the Exchange but leverage Cable & Wireless’ backhaul network from when they acquired them in 2012ish

Soldato
Hmmm. Perhaps I've given false information? I was under the impression that all fibre was using the same equipment, with the exception on virgin who have their own equipment. I'm going to say I'm probably wrong if two people think otherwise, as I am far from an expert.

Soldato
Anyone else notice how the Vodafone connect router does not allow DNS forwarding ?
I simply cannot trust any lookups via this connection

macpro:~$ dig @208.67.222.222 welcome.opendns.com +short <--- Request is never sent to 208.67.222.222 !

macpro:~$ dig @1.2.3.4 welcome.opendns.com +short <--- WTF How is this even possible ?

Workaround DNS over tcp works, the router blocks DNS over udp

macpro:~$ dig @208.67.222.222 welcome.opendns.com +short +tcp

146.112.62.102 <--- Real IP

Soldato
I moved away from Vodafone some months ago and they're threatening me with a £70 charge for not returning their router despite three emails and two phone calls from me telling them it is say in its box waiting to go into the pre-paid returns envelope they haven't yet sent me.

My Plusnet router on my new service has stayed up for 50 days now synced at a speed 25% more than Vodafone could manage for only three days at a time before dropping the line. I've no idea how that is even possible! I don't care how cheap it is, I'd never return and I'm not surprised they're rated the worst.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I thought that Vodafone used Openreach like everyone else from the Exchange but leverage Cable & Wireless’ backhaul network from when they acquired them in 2012ish

Yes. There will be a GEA cable link in the parent exchanges.

Soldato
Still have VF BB and still working a treat. Even though I left VF I still have their employee discount applied @100% os don't wan tto change anything at the moment but have no need to. Yes VF split out onto 2 10Gb lines from the exchange to its a bit of both. Still cant complain everything works where VM were providing be less than 100kbps each evening with their contention issues

Associate
I've started my move away from Vodafone as the peak time bandwidth has dropped to through put of 1.5-2.0MB's a second at night and I'm having inconsistencies with DNS returns and general freezes. The router lost its connect and config last week and since I got the service its dropped from 72mbps to 60mbps now in the last two years. Not 100% sure its Vodafone a fault but I cant get any answers from them and they are uninterested in talking to BT about my issues.

First stop new ISP and see how that goes.

Associate
so been on vodafone for a few weeks now.. to be honest it hasn't been to bad. i am still using the router they supplied. i have had a couple of drops, lowest speed i have seen is 35mb (i am only on 40mb) and have had the connection up for 8 days now.. for £20 a month it really isn't bad

Associate
I switched over to iDNet today and so far tonight the connection difference has been like night and day! I admit that paying £61.80 a month for Priority service over a 80/20 line is expensive but I got a full 7.80Mb's connection to services that can stream the data to me at peak times tonight. I was lucky to get 2Mb's doing the same downloads over Vodafone's 80/20 package, the Billions 8800 NL2 router with this service is also like night and day on speed, connections and configuration.

I felt that to the end of my service with Vodafone they were getting saturated after a lot of cheap internet deals in the last 6 months, I was worried that the issues were at BT's exchange/DP level here where I stay but if tonights performance is a benchmark I'm flying high on my new service :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Vodafone to iDNet, that's some jump!

What does it get you that a connection from Zen wouldn't have done?

Even with my cheap-and-cheerful connection with Plusnet there're no detectable peak time issues (and I'd soon be off if there were).

Associate
Vodafone to iDNet, that's some jump!

What does it get you that a connection from Zen wouldn't have done?

Even with my cheap-and-cheerful connection with Plusnet there're no detectable peak time issues (and I'd soon be off if there were).

The iDNET package without Priority is basically around the same price, my account gets Traffic priority through their networking and agreed partners. Costs £12 of the £61.80, so their standard package is £49.80 compared to Zen's £46.99. A bit more expensive but they generally get very good reviews and some on Zen have said that they have been in decline a bit of late.

Associate
I have signed up for Voda broadband previously a BT Infinity customer and seems great and works well cant tell the difference other than the price :)
The supplied router seems to work well and i get better wifi from it than my previous BT-Hub5, signal reaches to my workshop in the garden about 30m away so not bad.

I intend to get my PPPOE user/password at some point, i think most seem to get it from the Voda Live chat although it does not seem to work for me tried a few browsers not quite sure why lol. I am sure i will figure it out.

Associate
I'm thinking of switching provider and have seen the very keen pricing from Vodafone!

Have been with Plusnet in the past who were good, slow down a little at night and support was a 40-minute wait if you ever needed it.

I'm on the fence about jumping to Vodafone, the majority of replies in this thread are pleased with it. There are plenty of reviews saying they wouldn't ever use Vodafone again as well, I know people only vent when it's bad.

So as I expect the standard of technical proficiency to be higher by the users who frequent these forums, Could I ask for an update form people who moved to Vodafone in this thread.

Length of time with Vodafone
package speed / actual speed
Supplied or own router

Thanks very much!

Permabanned
I'm thinking of switching provider and have seen the very keen pricing from Vodafone!

Have been with Plusnet in the past who were good, slow down a little at night and support was a 40-minute wait if you ever needed it.

I'm on the fence about jumping to Vodafone, the majority of replies in this thread are pleased with it. There are plenty of reviews saying they wouldn't ever use Vodafone again as well, I know people only vent when it's bad.

So as I expect the standard of technical proficiency to be higher by the users who frequent these forums, Could I ask for an update form people who moved to Vodafone in this thread.

Length of time with Vodafone
package speed / actual speed
Supplied or own router

Thanks very much!

Don't do it... worst provider in the UK... didn't think anyone could beat Talk Talk in that competition.

I deal with a variety of supplier's broadband connections as part of my job, interact with other companies who deal with similar things and have dealt with various providers in previous jobs... EVERYONE agrees with how bad Vodafone are... stay away.

Associate
Don't do it... worst provider in the UK... didn't think anyone could beat Talk Talk in that competition.

I deal with a variety of supplier's broadband connections as part of my job, interact with other companies who deal with similar things and have dealt with various providers in previous jobs... EVERYONE agrees with how bad Vodafone are... stay away.

Thanks for the feedback.

Are they worse than Plusnet?

Who would you choose for FTTC?

Back
Top Bottom