Vodafone broadband any good?

Permabanned
Thanks for the feedback.

Are they worse than Plusnet?

Who would you choose for FTTC?

Yes, a lot worse than Plusnet... Plusnet used to be not very good (maybe 5+ years ago) but lately their services is acceptable.

Best price/performance service is from Zen... they're great. But more expensive... last I checked their unlimited 80/20 package with phone line was £46.99/month.

Even BT direct have a pretty decent service now... it's just customer service that can be poor and have you waiting a while... plusnet service is much improved, but you can be in a long queue if you need it.

Sky also now have a reasonable service, just again - high volume of customers, so slow support.

Associate
Thanks for the info.

Zen would be nice but need to reduce bills.

I'll have a look and see what Quidco/TCB deals are around for BT/ PlusNet

Can get Virgin but they seem hit and miss and have bad experience using them at previous properties.

Soldato
So, just to give you an opinion on the flip-side.
Although I had troubles actually going live on Vodafone, since then the line has been stable.
I'm on a full 80/20 sync and seeing real world of around 75/19 on a daily basis including "peak times". I'm paying just £24/month for everything, broadband and phone. My contract renews in June and as long as nothing silly happens before then I'll definitely just re-contract.

Soldato
Just to add my 2p.

I have just today had agreed an early release from Vodafone.

Due to the poor router and no traffic shaping, it is virtually impossible to use two devices at the same time without one affecting the other.

E.G One person gaming - nice 5 ping. Someone then starts streaming. All traffic is prioritised to the streamer. Gamers ping rockets to about 150. Someone then sends a photo on their phone, gamers ping spikes again.

Obviously you could buy a router which has device / service prioritisation, but why should you have to spend another £130 on kit and spend the time having to set it up?

If the above isnt a concern, then the service is good. Good speeds etc

Soldato
@BDEE

Was it a struggle to get an early release and was it free or do you have to pay an early termination fee?

We signed up with Vodafone in November and have definitely experienced the issues you mention and it's frustrating, the thought of another 15 months like this is depressing. I spoke to support last night who weren't helpful and just went through the regular trouble shoot things like check the wifi channel etc and talked about interference.

Associate
Thanks for the further updates.

I'm going to be using my own router so would negate the WIFI traffic shaping issues. I wouldn't be using Vodafone's own DNS either, have always found ISP's DNS to be poor at the best of times.

Soldato
@BDEE

Was it a struggle to get an early release and was it free or do you have to pay an early termination fee?

We signed up with Vodafone in November and have definitely experienced the issues you mention and it's frustrating, the thought of another 15 months like this is depressing. I spoke to support last night who weren't helpful and just went through the regular trouble shoot things like check the wifi channel etc and talked about interference.

It has taken me about 2 months going back and forth, ultimately it ended up with the CEO's office. I agreed to try a new router (knowing that it wouldn't make a jot of difference) to show willing on my part. When the new router didn't turn up because they failed to fulfill the order, on the next call I had with them they said they would re-send it. I said no - terminate me. They agreed there and then to an instant termination with no charge.

I would say though there was more of a history with my case as well - Two initial complaints which never got allocated and therefore ignored. Also their refusal to escalate to level 2 because I have a switch running on my home network, and in their view it could have been causing the issue (???!?!?) and wanted me to connect everything directly to the router directly for 3 days (physically impossible for me to do), plus a number of non-contacts, as well as then multiple people contacting me in error following the non-contacts....

Emailing to the CEO's office did get things moving along for sure.

Just signed up to move to Zen yesterday. Hopefully worth the extra tenner a month!

Also re DNS - I was using googles. Vodafone wouldn't allow access to imgur!

UXB

UXB

Associate
Just switched over to Vodafone unlimited fibre 76 for £24 a month after i found out we were paying £47 a month for a 10MB ADSL connection with TalkTalk and have been for the last 10 years :confused:, my missus pays the bill and i had no idea how much she was paying, when we signed up it was about £20 all in but she said they told her we were downloading too much and needed to add extra's for unlimited downloads, she neglected to tell me this and has been paying well over the odds for years.

So switching over and getting 7x speed increase for half the price was a no brainer, hopefully everything goes well, we never had any problems with TalkTalk, but that bill damn :eek:

Caporegime
We use Voda for our business (large government department) They are SHOCKING. Regular DNS issues etc.

Not really sure how relevant that is to a home broadband discussion. I wouldn't want to lay DNS issues in a government department at the feet of the ISP either, without knowing a bit more.

Soldato
The only ongoing issue I did have with Vodafone was that of a static IP address. Hidden away in the home braodband T&C's it says you can request a static address for no extra cost. I made that request as soon as I moved to them only to be told that the service was on "temporary hold" and they would let me know when it was available again.
Anyway, after much forward and backwards, I recieved a call from someone about half an hour ago - static IP has been assigned, it'll be all live within 24hrs. So lots of little issues resolved and never again will I go through the hassle with PSN banning my IP address because somebody else was naughty when they leased it :)

Associate
Does anyone run a vpn on Vodafone? I just got activated today and I'm getting 56Mb down without vpn. With airvpn activated I'm only seeing around 26Mb down. I have it set on my router which is a Asus ac68u and with my previous broadband provider sky I only lost a couple of Mb. Now it's like half the speed :(

Throttling Perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom