VR... wait or invest now?

Soldato
OP
Even with a killer app, VR isn't gonna be mainstream anytime soon. PC gaming itself is expensive and niche as it is.

OP, if you have a decent enough PC and have the funds available, just buy a Rift/Vive and try it out. Send it back if you don't like it.
You'll either forgive what they lack in resolution and get on with enjoying the experience or you won't.
If you don't have a PC, don't buy one just for this. Get one if you want a gaming PC anyway.

I think you're right and I'm going to do this. Once NVIDIA release a card, I'll just buy one and if I find I can't get it working in my setup, return it. Its just deciding if rainforest is the best place with a good returns policy.

Soldato
I don’t know why you’re getting so upset. I believe I’m allowed to disagree with you, in fact I don’t entirely. Yes price will help, but there has to be something really killer for VR to really take off and become mainstream. Nintendo sells consoles because people love Mario. Yes they’ll sell a few more if they’re cheaper, but unless there is one killer game that you can’t play without VR it won’t really explode. That is my opinion.

Screen quality is better in Oculus go than Rift according to someone at work who develops stuff using both.

Sorry you went on about labour costs etc for the Rift, but completely ignored the point I made about the cost of the Rift would be fine if it was just the Rift, but, you need a good PC as well and the majority of PC gamers don't have a good PC. People with a PC capable of running a Vive or Rift are a niche.

And I am not getting upset in the slightest. You say you are allowed to disagree with me, that's fine, I have no problem with that at all. But, I am also allowed to disagree with you.

Screen Quality is better on the Go, but, as a total experience it's worse than the Rift. 3Dof just isn't good enough and there is definitely no game that will come out using 3Dof that will make everyone buy one!! :p

Look, all I am saying is that at this point in time, VR is too new, too niche and has too many caveats for one killer game to make a difference in adoption rates. Issues that you don't have to deal with if you are buying a console.

Soldato
Even with a killer app, VR isn't gonna be mainstream anytime soon. PC gaming itself is expensive and niche as it is.

OP, if you have a decent enough PC and have the funds available, just buy a Rift/Vive and try it out. Send it back if you don't like it.
You'll either forgive what they lack in resolution and get on with enjoying the experience or you won't.
If you don't have a PC, don't buy one just for this. Get one if you want a gaming PC anyway.

Exactly this. There is no killer game/app going to make people rush out and buy a VR headset. It's too new and too niche.

Soldato
Yes I would.

I'm not trying to be critical of the VR experience as I haven't experienced it and I'm sure its awesome. However I think its hard to debate that the quality of games is sadly lacking and it doesn't help when titles like REsident evil which look AWESOME on the PSVR aren't being ported over even a year later. :(

So you would spend £1000+ to buy PC and Rift for one game? If it's really so, then you are one of the few.

Just a quick question, how do you know the quality of games is sadly lacking? Have you tried Brass Tactics in VR? What about Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice? Or Elite Dangerous? Or Skyrim VR? Or Lone Echo? Or Echo Arena?

What about Onward? Have you ever jumped down behind a subway bench, with a blaze of bullets all around you, while frantically trying to reload and return fire??

Or what about car games, Project Cars 2, Dirt Rally? you should see the rave reviews Project cars 2 is getting in VR.

Need more FPS fix, try Pavlov Or PayDay 2.

Want to get more movement in your games, Try Eleven Table Tennis, Or maybe boxing with Thrill of the Fight and then there is awesome Beat Saber. Seriously How good do games have to be??

Missing Resident Evil, don't worry, Try Doom 3 BFG VR mod, and if that's not scary enough play Alien Isolation using the mother VR mod.

And that's only scratched the surface of what's out there. What sort of game are you looking for? What you like/hate in pancake gaming doesn't always stay the same in VR. I know people who have changed their gaming habits completely in VR, like going from hating Elite dangerous in pancake to absolutely loving it in VR. Becoming totally addicted to car racing games and flight sims and even one friend who went from been a complete couch potato to loving games like Beat Saber and Thrill of the Fight.

I don't mind you been critical, it's your money that you are going to spend. Some critical thinking is always good before spending large sums of money! :):D

Soldato
Personally I was happy when I purchased it for around £700, I'd be even quicker to jump on it now - I did already have a capable PC but after a month or so I upgraded from a 970 to a 1080 specifically for VR.

Associate
Sorry you went on about labour costs etc for the Rift, but completely ignored the point I made about the cost of the Rift would be fine if it was just the Rift, but, you need a good PC as well and the majority of PC gamers don't have a good PC. People with a PC capable of running a Vive or Rift are a niche.

And I am not getting upset in the slightest. You say you are allowed to disagree with me, that's fine, I have no problem with that at all. But, I am also allowed to disagree with you.

Screen Quality is better on the Go, but, as a total experience it's worse than the Rift. 3Dof just isn't good enough and there is definitely no game that will come out using 3Dof that will make everyone buy one!! :p

Look, all I am saying is that at this point in time, VR is too new, too niche and has too many caveats for one killer game to make a difference in adoption rates. Issues that you don't have to deal with if you are buying a console.

PC gaming isn't as niche as it once was, but it's still not considered mainstream (which is basically console as you said) so yes that cost is an issue. To be honest I think we're agreeing about where it is now and will be for a while. The only thing we have differing views about what will be the trigger for it going mainstream, which is fair enough. :)

Soldato
PC gaming isn't as niche as it once was, but it's still not considered mainstream (which is basically console as you said) so yes that cost is an issue. To be honest I think we're agreeing about where it is now and will be for a while. The only thing we have differing views about what will be the trigger for it going mainstream, which is fair enough. :)
Pc and console gaming are pretty much equal no niche about it. https://www.wepc.com/news/video-game-statistics/
As far as "killer apps" go its just a game at the end of the day which you will play for a while before getting bored and wanting the next "killer app".
Ive been using vr for nearly 2 years now and I still have too many games to play and not enough time to play them.
The killer apps for me are Project cars 2 and Elite dangerous they just keep me coming back.

Last edited:
Associate
Blimey! Biggest market is smartphone gaming...maybe it's all smartphones and gearVr headsets from now on.

I have seen that at work though as well.

As far as VR HMD's go with the rides we make, they used HTC Vive HMD's for the Derren Brown Ride at Thorpe park, but most of the new rides we're shipping use Samsung S7/S9 with GearVr interfaces, but these are all mostly non-interactive media playback so you can look around. That is apart from the new Paradrop VR, which they decided to use the Rift because of head tracking issues.

Fun place to work....lots of cool toys!

Associate
The killer apps for me are Project cars 2 and Elite dangerous they just keep me coming back.

Snap, although I have found Elite Dangerous to be a bit samey after a while, although Assetto Corsa is a bit more temperamental but looks (and drives) beautifullly on track, RaceRoom doesn't feel as slick, iRacing is ok but graphics are a bit meh, I definitely prefer driving / racing games over anything else. Cockpit games are generally pretty awesome in VR though.

Soldato
Personally I was happy when I purchased it for around £700, I'd be even quicker to jump on it now - I did already have a capable PC but after a month or so I upgraded from a 970 to a 1080 specifically for VR.

Me too. Bought the Rift at full price and touch controllers and, like you, have upgraded my PC since just for VR. I didn't realise it would be so good until I actually got it. To be honest I thought I was just wasting my money. I am glad I was wrong :p

Soldato

I must come across very badly when I post. I love a good discussion and I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. You say it will go mainstream because of a game, I say it can't become mainstream until it's a stand alone unit, with full tracking and decent resolution for max £500. Then the games/apps/media will be what pushes into the mainstream market and it will live or die based on the content available. Either way it's going to be interesting to see what happens in a couple of years. Personally, I am trying to hold out until the second generation of the Rift comes along. If the Pimax headset ever gets released and gets great reviews I might be tempted to swap.

Associate
Knowing what I know now, I would go back and pay full price at release. At the time, I had a go on the OCUK racing setup and was underwhelmed tbh, I don't think it was set up correctly, they weren't running it on top spec machines (so that customers and it just didn't do justice to the VR experience, visually very disappointing. A few months later I had read a lot of threads/reviews, and chatted with other guys I raced with, read about the problems with the lenses and getting the sweet spot. I still had doubts, so I thought I'd get one second hand, my reasoning was that if I didn't like it I wouldn't lose much money (I'm an accountant married to an accountant so we squeak when we walk). Best tech purchase I've ever made, I literally giggled like a 5yr old for about a week at every new experience from dreamdeck moments to the first time in games after I got it. I ca nhonestly say I haven't had that kind of wow gaming moment for 20 years or more prior to that. Utterly fantastic, I wouldn't be without it now, mind blown and totally hooked!

Associate
I must come across very badly when I post. I love a good discussion and I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. You say it will go mainstream because of a game, I say it can't become mainstream until it's a stand alone unit, with full tracking and decent resolution for max £500. Then the games/apps/media will be what pushes into the mainstream market and it will live or die based on the content available. Either way it's going to be interesting to see what happens in a couple of years. Personally, I am trying to hold out until the second generation of the Rift comes along. If the Pimax headset ever gets released and gets great reviews I might be tempted to swap.

Well at least we can agree it's awesome regardless of what happens :)

I'll let you know when I get my Pimax if it's as good as it's meant to be... :0

Soldato
Pc and console gaming are pretty much equal no niche about it. https://www.wepc.com/news/video-game-statistics/
As far as "killer apps" go its just a game at the end of the day which you will play for a while before getting bored and wanting the next "killer app".
Ive been using vr for nearly 2 years now and I still have too many games to play and not enough time to play them.

Agree, while PC gaming itself is massive, people on hardware good enough for the Rift and Vive and future headsets are only a small portion of that.

It Eleven Table Tennis for me. I have Elite Dangerous, it's just finding time to play. It's awesome in VR, and I have only played a couple of the Tutorials. It's a real time sink though and I know if I step into the real game then I am done, my life outside VR is over :p

Soldato
Well at least we can agree it's awesome regardless of what happens :)

I'll let you know when I get my Pimax if it's as good as it's meant to be... :0

Oh, I didn't realise you had ordered one!! Cool, you must be fed up with the delay though. I would be gone absolutely batty by now. Are you getting the top one? The 8K?

Associate
Yh I went for the 8K but not the 8KX or whatever it was called. I'm fine with the wait, tbh i'd rather they just get it right when they ship it, it sounds like the had some real issues with the lenses so that needed sorting. In the meantime the Rift is great and it will only go to the kids gaming room and be my backup in case of issues when I get the Pimax anyway, so no rush.

If the Pimax is as good as it could be if they get it right, it was a bargain for the KS price. It's a bit of a gamble as all KS pledges are but I decided to go for it....told my wife about it afterwards lol

Soldato
I had a go on the OCUK racing setup and was underwhelmed tbh, I don't think it was set up correctly, they weren't running it on top spec machines (so that customers and it just didn't do justice to the VR experience, visually very disappointing.
This is a major thing, it needs to be set up correctly - otherwise it definitely disappoints.

I had some time with a Rift in the Bullring Birmingham (there was about 10 set-ups in all, with one person helping at each station but most of them knew nothing about the actual product) and even though I'd booked a time slot there wasn't much time to play (say 15 mins), include in this time to put it on and adjust, it wasn't enough.

Conversely, I booked myself in for a session with a Vive somewhere else (one person and one setup) and got a good 30 minute go with someone who knew more about the product and how to set it up and I was blown away.

That's why I always make sure it's set up properly when demoing my unit now, one of my friends played Batman and completed it on his first VR sitting.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
In lieu of a killer game, I would need the following to get interested in this again:

Foveat rendering and therefore high res
Super-wide FOV
Wireless
Knuckle controllers

all out of the box.

Soldato
Yh I went for the 8K but not the 8KX or whatever it was called. I'm fine with the wait, tbh i'd rather they just get it right when they ship it, it sounds like the had some real issues with the lenses so that needed sorting. In the meantime the Rift is great and it will only go to the kids gaming room and be my backup in case of issues when I get the Pimax anyway, so no rush.

If the Pimax is as good as it could be if they get it right, it was a bargain for the KS price. It's a bit of a gamble as all KS pledges are but I decided to go for it....told my wife about it afterwards lol

It would be nice to get in time for Christmas wouldn't it? :)

I am sure the wife took the news with a lot of :rolleyes: and :mad: but then probably realised you now owe her one :p

Back
Top Bottom