Warhammer 40k book recommendations

im worried as james swallows previous efforts with the BA sucked tyranid nuts.

i was kind of hoping they would give him another topic like in nemesis. i just dont think he writes good space marine novels.

crossing my pinkies for this im afraid :( im fearing an out of sync to the "lore" and chapter, clunkily written novel, on the flip side we might get a brilliantly written novel about signus prime.

Last edited:
What was this doing down on page 6 :p

Anyway almost finished the second Ultramarines trilogy. Really enjoyed these 6 books, good characters and several enemies I haven't read about much in the books before (Tau, Necrons, Tyranids). Next up I'm going to take a break from the zealot space marines and read Gav Thorpe's Eldar books before diving into the last HH book that I haven't read yet. Oh also read Catachism of Hate (the latest LE novella thing, it was good, not amazing)

ALSO, I was rummaging through my drawers earlier and found some of my old models that I couldn't part with when I sold all my 40k stuff way back when. Thought I'd share some photos, bear in mind I was quite young when I painted all this and there's a little bit of damage from being in the drawer so a couple are blu tacked together :p

Anyone else used to model/game?

(Photos aren't great, could do with better lighting in my room!)

First up my Warlocks and Farseer:

IMG_20120205_191736-Copy.jpg

Fuegan - was never quite happy with this one, this is actually my second attempt (you can tell the paint is quite thick in places) always struggled with fire dragons for some reason.

IMG_20120205_191904-Copy.jpg

I started a Space Wolf army right at the end of my collecting days, this was the wolf guard leading my bike squadron, painting isn't finished but I quite liked the pose:

IMG_20120205_192128-Copy.jpg

And lastly my finest work, this was originally meant to be a Golden Demon entry for the dual category (hence the large base) The exarch was going to be duelling against a Hellion but I never got round to doing the Hellion. I'm still really impressed by this paint job, doubt I could do a great deal better now.

IMG_20120205_192201-Copy.jpg

IMG_20120205_192229-Copy.jpg

I'd like to get back into the painting, just doing a few models to a high quality, but it's so expensive now even more so than it was when I was into it :(

Awesome painting shame the models are wimpy Eldar;)

Anyway i finished The Outcast Dead, i really enjoyed it (so far there hasnt been a HH book i didnt like) ive got Deliverence Lost im only 34% into the book but its shaping up to be pretty good. Also its got Corax and he seems pretty cool and makes me want to find out if what hes like in combat, hopefully ill find out later in the book:)

Just finished Age of Darkness.

The usual suspects doing a good effort the rest were pretty poor. The Iron Warriors short story was probably the best though, great little effort.

One thing I would say about The Outcast Dead is that I've never read a book with so many spelling mistakes.

Small words either miss-used "it" rather than "in" for instance or small words missing altogether.

One or two a book is common but I'm sure The Outcast Dead is getting close to double figure mistakes. Really poor QC.

One thing I would say about The Outcast Dead is that I've never read a book with so many spelling mistakes.

Small words either miss-used "it" rather than "in" for instance or small words missing altogether.

One or two a book is common but I'm sure The Outcast Dead is getting close to double figure mistakes. Really poor QC.

Wait until you read Deliverance Lost then. I spotted loads of spelling mistakes. :(

Have noticed loads of spelling mistakes in a lot of the heresy books. Have just read descent of angels, really enjoyed it. Before that I read the grey knight trilogy, the author gave the wrong character name in one part which took me a minute or so to figure out was a mistake.

Never noticed this thread before!! :0

Just finished Deliverance Lost, Probably the best Horus Heresy book I've read since The First Heretic!

Had some Orders from over the weekend arrive including:

The Emperors Finest - Ciaphas Cain
Blood Pact & Salvations Reach - Gaunts Ghosts

And from the Warhammer collection (Not 40k)

Brunner
Witch Hunter Trilogy
And the Third Gotrek & Felix Trilogy

Lots of reading ahead! :)

They are addictive books:)
Im over halfway in deliverence lost, enjoyable book i should finish it sometime next week. Then its Know No Fear, im looking forward to this one in a big way. Anyone read it yet?

finished reading the tome of fire trilogy about the salamanders by nick kyme. really enjoyable read i have to say, especially as they often dont get a look in.

moved on from the emperors bosum and now elbow deep in gore with the word bearers trilogy. excellent stuff by Anthony reynolds, really gritty and some uniquely chaos based images and experiences drawn up even in the first book. not afraid to kill narrative characters either.

Just finished Outcast Dead, complete load of guff. Poor writing, poor characters, undeveloped story lines and to top it all no point in the book! Absoloute shocking waste of paper and up there among the worst books I have EVER had the displeasure to read in my whole life. I'm getting irritated just thinking about it again :p

I found Deliverance Lost ok but there was some real poor editing. Alpharius went from being a trooper to sergeant and back again twice that I noticed. Corvax went from wanting to retire, relax and write to hating all writers and he could only dedicate his life to war.

There were a few other instances but the being the most notable.

The series as a whole has been let down by poor characters, poor editing and pointless dead end story lines. I want to know what happens but I am fast running out of patience with the series.

Amazon says 5th March release date?

Technically yes, BUT, i think Games Workshop have pulled a crafty one.

They basically released Know No Fear over a week ago, out of nowhere.

I think its a way for them to make money, as everyone who ordered by the rainforest, and other places, for a cheaper price, will now cancel those orders, and pay the 7.99 price Black Library are asking for it.

Games Workshop know it's going to be a big seller, so i think they've pulled a crafty one here.

Sounds like they might be moving things on a little at last.

Ultramarines and Blood Angels novels telling what happens after Istvaan though the Primarchs novel sounds like more filler.

Back
Top Bottom