What book are you reading...

It's 3.30am and even though I could barely keep my eyes open, I have just finished Words of Radiance. The ending is epic in every sense!....very satisfying.

What most impressed me was how consistent it was through the whole book, especially considering how WOK was imo a little patchy and sluggish. I couldn't put it down.

just started the second harry bosch novel 'black ice'.

I'm probably going to read the first 5, take a break with a different genre then go back and read a few more.

Well I just finished the Long Price Quartet.... Strange series, not worthy of the praise it gets. I appreciate what he was trying to do and the ending is very poignant and almost redeems the book but ultimately for a series of such purported epic scope it rarely scratches the surface of most events and the speed it moves left a lot of the characters feeling hollow.

All told I probably wouldn't recommend but at least I've read it.

Anyway, picked another two of the laundry files books for some good reading. Got Equoid, one of the short stories, first then Fuller Memorandum.

After Words of Radiance, I have decided to start the Dark Tower series, as I have had the first two books for a while but not got started. I have read about 60-odd pages, and am not really feeling it tbh, but will persevere.

I am reading the Dark Tower series also, but I'm reading all of Mr Kings books connected to it also, following the list in this blog:

http://honkmahfah.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/dark-tower-suggested-reading-order-for.html

All the way down to Black House (follow up to the Talisman) so only 2 books till the final 4 Dark Tower books proper!

Have enjoyed the majority of the books mainly It, The Stand, Insomnia and Hearts in Atlantis. I love the way he connects his books together but I'm looking forward to getting to the end :)

Listening to the Third Policeman. Dont recommend it as its spun out and not entertaining, Im waiting for an enlightened turn to the story. Good writer all the same, this was unpublished in his lifetime for this reason imo

It has a rough connection to the series Lost, so you can guess what its about but so far nonsense which figures!

I am reading the Dark Tower series also, but I'm reading all of Mr Kings books connected to it also, following the list in this blog:

http://honkmahfah.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/dark-tower-suggested-reading-order-for.html

All the way down to Black House (follow up to the Talisman) so only 2 books till the final 4 Dark Tower books proper!

Have enjoyed the majority of the books mainly It, The Stand, Insomnia and Hearts in Atlantis. I love the way he connects his books together but I'm looking forward to getting to the end :)

I had read Black House yonks ago, and never realised The Talisman was the 'first' book so to speak. Promptly read it when I found out last year and it made a re-read of Black House much more enjoyable with all of the link backs etc. Not that I'm saying it wasn't enjoyable in the first place though! It's always been a favourite of mine, it stands alone quite well I must admit, considering how much the story intertwines with The Talisman and indeed, King's other books.

Now reading '1984' by George Orwell. I haven't read it since I had to disect it for my English A Level nearly 30 years ago. Every bit as grim and compelling as I remember it, I know it's a cliche but this really is a book that everybody should read. Few novels will make you think as much as this one does, it hasn't lost any of it's potenecy and seems just as relevant now as when it was released.

Just finished The Rook by Daniel o'Malley.

The tagline says 'MI5 for wizards' which was a turn off, as I was expecting a more 'Harry Potter for grown ups' cash-in.

The low expectations helped, as I greatly enjoyed it. Good modern fantasy which reminded me of China Mieville's Kraken, which isn't a bad thing.

Is Kraken by Melville any good?

The steampunk trilogy he wrote (name escapes me at the moment) had really turned me against him and I'm struggling to drum up the enthusiasm to read another of his books despite the praise they receive.

I quite enjoyed Kraken, but then again I also liked Perdido Street Station and The Scar (first two books of his Bas-Laq series). It is not, however, anywhere near them in terms of setting or outright fantasy, it's altogether a different beast.

It's a fantastic blending of the London we know and weird cults; some based on real cults and themes familiar to us, and others that are just madness personified. Really gives the feeling that all of this is just lying underneath the surface. It's dark, humourous, and some of the characters are just downright unsettling. If you lived closer I'd lend you the book so you could make up your mind on it!

It's a fantastic blending of the London we know and weird cults; some based on real cults and themes familiar to us, and others that are just madness personified. Really gives the feeling that all of this is just lying underneath the surface. It's dark, humourous, and some of the characters are just downright unsettling. If you lived closer I'd lend you the book so you could make up your mind on it!

That perfectly sums up my experience of Kraken too.

I have a love-hate relationship with Mieville - I'm not a fan of the Bas-Laq trilogy (world building was terrific, but the endings lacked the same punch), but i absolutely adore The City And The City, and Kraken.

Almost finished my reread of The Way of Kings books then on to Words of Radiance :D
Glad to see people have enjoyed WoR, can't wait to get stuck into it.

Still reading Way of Kings - been ages since a book has pulled me in this deeply this quickly. So far its the best work of Sanderson's I have read (and I thought the first Mistborn book was a work of genius)

Absolutely hooked by the bridgemans' story. Its been teased that he is something special for a while now, he has just survived the high storm, I'm aching to see what he can do with a spear in hand.

Still reading Way of Kings - been ages since a book has pulled me in this deeply this quickly. So far its the best work of Sanderson's I have read (and I thought the first Mistborn book was a work of genius)

Absolutely hooked by the bridgemans' story. Its been teased that he is something special for a while now, he has just survived the high storm, I'm aching to see what he can do with a spear in hand.

:D:D:D Enjoy. Epic chapters coming up.

Back
Top Bottom