What book are you reading...

And an even more epic second book;)

I'm generally not really a fantasy fan. Apart from ASOIAF, I've hardly read anything. This series has the makings of a true classic though, and I am really enjoying it.

I finished The Gunslinger yesterday. It was alright. Nothing special though.

Headhunters - Nothing like what the title leads you to think & pretty **** to be honest, Characters are **** & half of it is one of them day dreaming complete ****.
One of those I started so I'll finish situations when really I should have just binned it, It was a gift though so at least I can say I read it if she asks.

Finally finished "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson. It's one of his better books, although it does sort of anti-climax. "Old Man's War" by John Scalzi.

Boom - just finished The Way of Kings.

Not enjoyed a book that much in a long long time. Pretty much read non-stop since Friday, fantastic read. Meandered a little bit in the middle, the bridge-man could do with a bit of a shake and a slap in the face with a wet fish at times, but the last couple of hundred pages really pulled it together.

Words of Radiance is sitting on my desk, taunting me. I want to dive right in, but I fear the hollow empty place my life will be once that is finished and I'm waiting on the next book!

Just finished The Rook by Daniel o'Malley.

The tagline says 'MI5 for wizards' which was a turn off, as I was expecting a more 'Harry Potter for grown ups' cash-in.

The low expectations helped, as I greatly enjoyed it. Good modern fantasy which reminded me of China Mieville's Kraken, which isn't a bad thing.

Thanks for the tip, i just started this last night

Does anyone know if anything similar to Sex on the Moon. A real life heist story. But it wasn't just about money or wading in with weapons. Love story, intelligence, bordem. It's just an amazing storey.

Just finished reading Animal Farm for the first time since I was a teenager. Depressing. Poor Boxer. :(

Haven't picked my next read yet, but I'm thinking something light. I read all the Fleming Bond's late last year, so I might go on to the non-Fleming ones, see how they compare.

Reading The Blood Crows by Simon Scarrow.

So far nothing of note has happened yet, very slow start to this one and it doesn't strike me as one of Simon's best from what I've read.

Hoping it picks up I am almost tempted to speed through it.

Nearing the end of 'The Lies of Locke Lamora', another of those fantasy novels I've heard a lot about but never got round to. I spent the first quarter of the book trying and failing to like the main characters and their antics, the second third getting drawn into the events that overtake them, and the last third has really taken off. In fact I really want to be finishing it off rather than typing, but I'm saving it for a train journey on Thursday.

So overall I'm glad I pushed through the first third.

Edit: enjoyed the final section a lot. Overall I'd recommend the book, it turned into a decent yarn. But I'm still not a huge fan of the main character, or of books which insist on telling part of the story via flashbacks. Hobb has the same problem, dragging me away from the action too often. Done well, and rarely, it's a valid teasing tactic. Used all the time it just becomes an annoying hurdle to jump.

Last edited:
Just reading through House of Leaves again.

I've just started reading through this, it's a really complex read. The copious amounts of footnotes and references make it quite confusing.

However, I'm around 60 pages in and have just gotten to a really interesting bit, I just hope it keeps it up

Started the Kingsley Amis Bond book - Colonel Sun.

Started with a foreword, and he really didn't like the Bond films! Very scathing.

Recently read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian Esslemont.

Both pretty good in their own ways. Moving onto Reapers Gale by Steven Erikson.

Really need to get round to reading The Way of Kings!

Way of Kings - thanks for the tip, it's excellent

Double thanks for the tip.. Always on the look out for new books along these lines.. Been reduced to re reading Drizzt Do'Urden novels.

Bonus as well, I searched my HDD and I have this along with some Mistborn books :)

Back
Top Bottom