What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Sounds good!

I have made a baffle for the standard can . Its actually straight through so once you drop the cat its just a little to loud . need to put a 10 degree bend in it but im out of gas on my torch so will get some gas and bend it abit and get it fitted ... should take the harshness off the tone abit

Man of Honour
Filled my tyres up with some sealant goo, makes life a little easier when it's my only mode of transport and doing the miles I'm now doing there's a lot more chance of me catching a nail or something.

Soldato
Got it tuned. Base run was 161hp and 73lb/ft at the wheel. He managed to get it to 167hp 75lb/ft. I expected a little higher but it is the S model so doesn't rev as high. Gained 10hp between 5k and 7k though which is nice!

Soldato
If the fuel line is in good shape it doesn't need replacing just give it a good check make sure it's not splitting or cracking. Everything else you've listed is as easy as an oil change and can be done on the side of the road if you really need to.

Quite a delay since this message, I agree :p

Enquired with two motorcycle servicing garages around here today just waiting on replies. Asked for a quote on Brakes bled/new fluid, Oil/oil filter, new spark plugs, air filter cleaned, as these are the bare minimum that definitely need doing.

Also asked about potential replacement on fuel line, radiator hose and engine coolant drain/replace.

Once I get the reply I'll most likely make the decision to save a huge amount of money by doing it myself and coming back here for advice :p Got a problem with my throttle tube also to do with how it rotates around the grip but don't really know how to describe it :(

Soldato
Brakes, oil change and air filter are easily done at home.

Brakes really aren't difficult if you get yourself a bleed kit, I did it myself for the first time on the dirt bike, R6 and my dad's R1, easy.

Oil and filter is simple.

Air filter I'd just buy a new one, not entirely sure you can clean them.

Hoses are easy too

Soldato
Brakes, oil change and air filter are easily done at home.

Brakes really aren't difficult if you get yourself a bleed kit, I did it myself for the first time on the dirt bike, R6 and my dad's R1, easy.

Oil and filter is simple.

Air filter I'd just buy a new one, not entirely sure you can clean them.

Hoses are easy too

It's also really not that expensive either though as it's only a couple of hours work on top of the parts costs that you'll have to buy anyway.

Don't get me wrong I love working on my bike, great satisfaction. But when you need it for your commute everyday and/or don't have a comfy garage to do the work in and/or a family to tend to on weekends. That £80 labour is nothing.

Man of Honour
Oil + filter £16
Air filter £15
Brake fluid £3
Coolant £15
Plugs £10
Total £60

About an hour and a half work.

Most garages around here want at least £200 for that level of service. I'll happily pay myself £86 an hour rather than them.

Soldato
Oil + filter £16
Air filter £15
Brake fluid £3
Coolant £15
Plugs £10
Total £60

About an hour and a half work.

Most garages around here want at least £200 for that level of service. I'll happily pay myself £86 an hour rather than them.

Where are you ordering from to get those prices? I usually order from a mix of fowlers parts, ebay and sportsbikeshop.

For me it's:

Oil + filter £42 (filter £10, oil £32)
Air filter - £30
Brake fluid £6
Coolant - N/A my bike doesn't use coolant
Plugs £8 each - £16 for both

Man of Honour
I buy from sbs/eBay, sbs price match my plugs to under a fiver each and 5l motul 5000 is £24.89. Brake fluid I get from euro car parts for basically pennies when they have a discount code going.

I'm quoting for the amount of oil used so you'd have another oil change left in the bottle and hiflo air/oil filters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a quote from a dealer in Manchester where I bought the bike, of around £300. I'll price up the parts and see the difference. As someone has mentioned, it may be better to just suck it up and get in done by a dealer, as I do use it to commute on a daily basis.

That said, we'll see the price difference and probably do it myself :p

Soldato
£300 seems high. What does that include as that would massively affect the price. Is that including the fuel line? Are they checking the valve clearances or anything? If it does I really wouldn't bother doing the valve clearances.

Where abouts in Manchester are you? There's an Indy in Ardwick that I used to go to as it was next to my work, he's a rather "interesting" guy but very good, he likes to give abuse / banter :p Mr Pigs it's called.

Back
Top Bottom