What did you do to your bike today?

Tea Drinker
Don
HOLY BALLS that's clean!

How many miles has it got on it? 1K? lol

23k full service

That is stunning. Only bike I regret selling was my 2000 R1. Best carb'd bike I've ever ridden too, fuelling was nigh on perfect.

What are your plans for that?

Replace any scratched fixings. Find an original yamaha screen and then keep

MINTY! I bet the "first gen" tax on that was considerable!

£5.5k

Its ridiculously original. Any that I looked at needed so much work it was worth paying for something original. I saw a few that had been painted a flat white and red rather than this original pearl metallic white. It's strong money I admit but it needs nothing. Even the silencers are fetching good money purely because everyone threw them away.

Rear end hasn't been chopped. Still has the original reflector and indicators. Comes with a yamaha single seat cowl.

Tea Drinker
Don
So pretty much a museum piece then. Five and a half large might seem like a lot but it'll never lose value provided it's looked after and the mileage kept reasonable.

He paid nearly 6 for it two years ago. He also put two new tyres, battery and two service and mots so he's well out of pocket.

His van, house garden and his other bikes were immaculate so I just got the sense this would be a goodun.

Man of Honour
I still have the Performance Bikes issue somewhere where they first reviewed the R1.

I think they described the probable reaction to seeing it in the garage as:
"A drop of precum slithers from the ever-stiffening man sossy" :p

Great line, great bike.

Soldato
Picked up the new bike yesterday, only done about 5 mins due to getting a puncture but it’s an absolute weapon!

MNowKZe.jpg

After 5 mins I was blessed with this PITA. Tyre completely flat. Bought some Tubliss which I’ll fit next week and then plug the tyre with a repair kit.
1fUnHeh.jpg

Radiator guard
ZSNk6Gk.jpg

Exhaust guard
KAK6QQQ.jpg
EJKXVMk.jpg

Few more bits to add today; rear brake disc guard, radiator fan, map switch, hand guards and a couple of other bits and bobs.

Tea Drinker
Don
Got some power into the loom. Had to chop in a new connector block from the generator. Fitted the ebay rad and grill which took a great deal of fettling with a dremel to get to line up. Fitted the samco hoses. Fitted the brake stay and wear indicator.

nPUWGrw.jpg

OAEFpB4.jpg

DI5koZH.jpg

MoLirGB.jpg

Associate
If the factory were stingy on the grease, 5 years and 10k miles is plenty for head bearings to die. Even more so if it's been wheelied.

Try and get the front end off the floor and feel for yourself. Usually not too big a job to whip the yoke off and check the top race. If it looks ok, grease up, retighten to factory spec and try again.

In all fairness if you've not noticed it while riding it can't be too bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went to Fish Hill on Saturday - my mate wanted some shots from the Bikerpics folk - turns out, Fish Hill is an amazing bit of road!!

First time I've ever ridden it, and in retrospect, I should have taken it steady on the first run up - but chucked the bike into the first bend (near the snappers) only to have an "oh ****" moment - "I've properly overcooked this!!!"; had to lay it right down to get around, and promptly called myself an utter ***** for almost binning it on the first turn :(

Spent a few hours there going up and down, chatting, enjoying the time there - then left for the Brecons, before we either binned our bikes, or got busted by the coppers (who later turned up and plonked a camera van on the straight).

Photos to follow, unless I don't fancy paying their ~£10 per photo price!

Man of Honour
Fitted a silicone hose, makes taking the carb off much easier

Sili.jpg

Soldato
Went to Fish Hill on Saturday - my mate wanted some shots from the Bikerpics folk - turns out, Fish Hill is an amazing bit of road!!

First time I've ever ridden it, and in retrospect, I should have taken it steady on the first run up - but chucked the bike into the first bend (near the snappers) only to have an "oh ****" moment - "I've properly overcooked this!!!"; had to lay it right down to get around, and promptly called myself an utter ***** for almost binning it on the first turn :(

Spent a few hours there going up and down, chatting, enjoying the time there - then left for the Brecons, before we either binned our bikes, or got busted by the coppers (who later turned up and plonked a camera van on the straight).

Photos to follow, unless I don't fancy paying their ~£10 per photo price!
I don't think it's that good of a road, it should be 2 lanes coming down instead of going up.

Tea Drinker
Don
So the R1 isn't as pristine as sold. The exup valve is locked solid. One thing the buying guides don't tell you is that there is a fault finding mechanism in which the rev counter flicks up to a number and that points to the fault.

2z4jtx3.jpg

The exup valve in the exhaust is locked up solid in the closed position which means it's seriously restricted in power.

oW9qvaR.jpg

Managed with lots of wd40 to get it out and free. Ordered a new set of Allen bolts and a bit of copper grease and it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom